Animated Dead Space Short Introduces a New Character

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Animated Dead Space Short Introduces a New Character

A new graphic novel-style clip might offer a hint at Dead Space 3's plot.

While a third Dead Space game has been official website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113463-New-Dead-Space-3-Rumors-Keep-Isaac-Suffering] introduces a brand new character and location for what may be the next entry in the action horror series.

The animated short features an Earthgov Sergeant by the name of John Carver who, while having a heated conversation with his wife, witnesses an attack on a Marker site located on a planet named Uxor. One crashed ship later, Carver finds himself battling against the infamous Necromorphs as they begin to infest Uxor and the colony where Carver's wife and son are residing.

The short itself certainly fits the bill as a teaser for an upcoming Dead Space reveal, but doesn't offer up any real specific plot details. However, given that there is a rumor that the next Dead Space will have two player co-op [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117157-Rumor-You-Can-Tackle-Dead-Space-3-With-a-Friend], the character of John Carver might just be the new sidekick we've been waiting to hear about.

Source: DeadSpace.com [http://www.deadspace.com/]

Dec 14, 2009
Hooooooly shit.

If only there was some guy who could clean up that mess, someone with experience in dealing with the necromorphs, he must also be mechanically adept, perhaps an engineer. [http://wallpaper.pickywallpapers.com/1600x1200/preview/isaac-clarke-in-open-space.jpg]

Gee, I sure hope an engineer shows up to fix that mess.

Dec 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Hooooooly shit.

If only there was some guy who could clean up that mess, someone with experience in dealing with the necromorphs, he must also be mechanically adept, perhaps an engineer. [http://wallpaper.pickywallpapers.com/1600x1200/preview/isaac-clarke-in-open-space.jpg]

Gee, I sure hope an engineer shows up to fix that mess.
I'll see your engineer and raise you...
<spoiler= A JANITOR>http://images.wikia.com/scrubs/images/8/87/5x5Janitor.JPG
Custodians have no experience in dealing with necromorphs!

You heard Zoidberg.

Get out.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Look pretty cool. I wonder if the event happen in this short will be mention at all in Dead Space 3?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
When I heard they were making DS 2, I said "How the fuck are they gonna manage that?"

When I heard they were making DS 3, I said "How the fuck are they gonna manage that?"

:p This series has been absolutely riddled with plot-holes and inconsistencies from the very start.

And seriously, why is it always about the dead/missing wife with this series? Can't we find another cliched relationship to exploit?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I hope they don't pull of the Cliche the Necromorphs hit earth in Dead Space 3. Yes, Earth is our home, but every game nowadays has something hitting earth.

Just make it some central colony or something big for the infestation to hit.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
How much you wanna bet those were Unitologists attacking the site? A suicide bomber exposes the Marker, and they just crash their mausoleum ships within range and let Convergence begin.

And what happens when Convergence occurs? Will it affect the other Markers?

Hey guys, the Unitology script on deadspace.com? It's a countdown.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
I'll say it plainly: you're a bad person if you pay for this game. Dead Space is Resi Evil with spaceships. Accept it, stop buying them, and move on. You have nothing to lose but cliches.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Earthgov Sergeant by the name of John Carver
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I mean, what happened to good old Engineer Isaac Clarke? Hopefully this new character won't take over the main role. He's cool and all, but part of the charm was that Isaac Clarke was just a humble engineer, not another grunty soldier named Jack Porter.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
RJ 17 said:
When I heard they were making DS 2, I said "How the fuck are they gonna manage that?"

When I heard they were making DS 3, I said "How the fuck are they gonna manage that?"

:p This series has been absolutely riddled with plot-holes and inconsistencies from the very start.

And seriously, why is it always about the dead/missing wife with this series? Can't we find another cliched relationship to exploit?
Plot holes like?

Dec 14, 2009
Emiscary said:
I'll say it plainly: you're a bad person if you pay for this game. Dead Space is Resi Evil with spaceships. Accept it, stop buying them, and move on. You have nothing to lose but cliches.
I'm going to buy it just to spite you :D

I enjoyed the other 2 games. No reason why I shouldn't get this one.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Emiscary said:
That's cool. While you're at it you may as well: step on a nail, invest in Christian broadcast television, and buy echinacea pills in bulk. Those things would *really* get on my tits.

Also they all waste your money/time, so there's a common theme!

:)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
So, an entire planet is infested now? Knew they'd go for raising the stakes, especially with that after credits tease in Dead space 2.

I do wonder though, how do they plan to bring it all to a satisfying end? Do they plan to at all, or are they going to continue as far as possible until inevitably the series dies before a proper conclusion is ever written? I doubt it, I could swear it was announced to be a trilogy a while ago.

I suppose it'd all certain around some object capable of stopping all the markers, most likely.

I know it'll probably go further towards action, but I do hope it doesn't lose the macabre and horrific tone of the previous games, I hope that it's still at least a little scary, but honestly, I don't expect it.

What I can expect is what could always be expected of dead space; A damn good game. Many will say dead space fails as a horror game, many will call it resi 4 in space, but fact is, overall the games are pretty f***ing enjoyable.

The Mighty Stove

Apr 16, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Emiscary said:

ENJOYED?!
EVERYONE SHOULD FUCKING LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not Sarcasm)

Alright, capslocks off nuff' of that. But seriously I don't understand how people can hate them. That is unless they don't like space, the horror genre (Even though DS isn't really scary), or good games (He he, I kid). Sure it may not be the most original story, but it is unique. I just get the feeling of human emotion and an actual connection with Issac. Then again, this is all my opinion I guess :p

Dec 14, 2009
The Mighty Stove said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Emiscary said:

ENJOYED?!
EVERYONE SHOULD FUCKING LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not Sarcasm)

Alright, capslocks off nuff' of that. But seriously I don't understand how people can hate them. That is unless they don't like space, the horror genre (Even though DS isn't really scary), or good games (He he, I kid). Sure it may not be the most original story, but it is unique. I just get the feeling of human emotion and an actual connection with Issac. Then again, this is all my opinion I guess :p
For me, Dead Space is to games, what Aliens was to film.

Aliens wasn't as terrifying as the first film, but it's still an intense horror/action flick.

Dead Space might not be that scary, but it's intense and thoroughly entertaining.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
RJ 17 said:
I'm sure Isaac is sorry he didn't forget about his dead, haunting-him girlfriend in-between the first and second games for you.

OT: Ok, how goddamn fast is the whole necromorph thing? Because at the end that was quite an advanced form, after... a minute. By an hour they should have evolved enough to ascend to a higher plane of existence.

Also, another goddamn American Sergeant protagonist in games. Its always a male, American Sergeant. Why not make him at least a different nationality (without an obviously fake accent)? Like Marie Delacroix in System Shock 2 as a main character instead of a gruff American Sergeant?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Emiscary said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Emiscary said:
That's cool. While you're at it you may as well: step on a nail, invest in Christian broadcast television, and buy echinacea pills in bulk. Those things would *really* get on my tits.

Also they all waste your money/time, so there's a common theme!

I'd hardly say that Dead Space is a waste of money/time considering that it's such a fantastic game.