Help a Pomeranian Puppy Lead a T-Rex Revolution in Tokyo Jungle

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Help a Pomeranian Puppy Lead a T-Rex Revolution in Tokyo Jungle

It's survival of the cutest when one doggie runs out of puppy chow.

Heralding the arrival of its upcoming June 7th, Japan-only release date, mammalian survival sim Tokyo Jungle's latest TV ad showcases the exact reason people across the ocean will care about this game: it's widdle, fruffy, Pomeranian protagonist. I'll give you all a moment to absorb the potentially dangerous levels of cute.

All set?

This isn't the first time Japan has had a, well, "unique" idea, but that doesn't stop Tokyo Jungle, in which you play as a puppy and horse deserted in an abandoned city infested with leopards, foxes, and raptors, any less brain-meltingly adorable or wonderfully bizarre.

Yes, based on the footage we have, the character models and animation may look at bit PS2ey, but come on guys, the game is about a starving puppy seeking to build a rag-tag, motley pack of Animalia in a quest to survive post-human Japan. And there are dinosaurs!

Sadly, like most Asian ideas that fail to do little more than raise the eyebrows of Western suits, Tokyo Jungle has no current plans for a stateside release. This, as I think is painfully evident from the above commercial, is what I believe the scientific community refers to as "a major bummer." Hopefully one day someone will see the obvious wisdom in funding a localization. Maybe PETA?

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I didn't see any T-Rexes in that video
You can catch one in the splash screen at the 12 sec mark in the top commercial, and then a raptor gloriously fighting a pack of baby chickens in the other :)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So it's like that Wii game Deadly Creatures but with animals instead of insect and set in Tokyo?
I remember hearing about this ages ago and I didn't hand in mind that they have the dog and horse and the main characters. Also Dinosaurs? It will be epic.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Mike Kayatta said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I didn't see any T-Rexes in that video
You can catch one in the splash screen at the 12 sec mark in the top commercial, and then a raptor gloriously fighting a pack of baby chickens in the other :)
Hardly enough to call it a revolution, unless you're the sort of person who thought a public option for healthcare reform would turn America into the USSR.

Also @ 01:20 They even have a snake!
Well, although scholastic tyrannosaurus/subversion quantitative ratio calculations are much too erudite and complex to honestly debate in this forum, let's be fair: You are assembling a pack of creatures, some of which are T-Rexes, in a bid to become the most powerful assembly of beasts in Tokyo. I'm not sure that citing the lack of Mr. T's in the game's splash screen is enough to claim that a player's potential level of dino experience in game wouldn't somehow be enough to topple, say, a primarily fox or hyena-held governing body.

Also, I'm pretty sure I would be way more into politics if the front-runners debated healthcare in terms of relative dinosaur populations as compared to defunct communist countries.

Hopefully that clears up my headline. :)

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I heard a long time ago that Tokyo Jungle was in production. I didn't know they were actually still making it though 0-0.

(and yes, damn straight I want a NA release)

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Really hoping this gets -at the very least- a North American release so I can import it. Even if the game blows ass (not gonna happen, I mean just look at it, LOOK AT IT) it'll be worth owning. If NA doesn't see it hit their shores either someone's gonna release a fan-translation patch or I'll learn Japanese as a last resort.
Long story short, I WILL PLAY THIS FUCKING GAME! URGH!

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Absolutely magnificent.

I don't even care how good the gameplay is, I would buy this game out of sheer gratitude for its existence.