Rockstar Readies Max Payne 3 PC Patch

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rockstar Readies Max Payne 3 PC Patch

Like the gut-shot of grief that tells you you're still alive, the first patch for the PC version of Max Payne 3 is coming tonight.

Max Payne 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-3-Pc/dp/B00178631E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1338937887&sr=8-6] finally showed up on the PC a couple days ago and while things have gone reasonably smoothly for most people, there are still a few "commonly reported issues" kicking around that need taking care of. Fortunately, Rockstar is on the job and expects to have the first in a planned series of patches for the game rolled out tonight.

The upcoming Max Payne 3 PC patch will address various compatibility problems and crash issues, plus the following more specific technical troubles:

Audio Crash
-Fixed reported issues of audio dropouts when no audio device was plugged in, or when the headphones/speakers disconnected while in game.

Mouse Sensitivity
-Fixed reported issues of mouse being sluggish, especially in prone and Shootdodge™. Increased top end range of mouse sensitivity, but kept the slider from 1-10, allowing the user more range in their sensitivity setting.

Mouse Acceleration
-Fixed reported issues of mouse acceleration affecting aiming, included commandline option to disable mouse acceleration, -nomouseaccel (In a future update, this will be added as an option in the Mouse Controls menu).

Stretched Image / Wrong Aspect Ratio

Fixed reported issues of game locked in incorrect aspect ratio, or alt-entering and having incorrect aspect ratio. Added commandline option for locked aspect ratio as commandline option -aspectratio width:height  (ie. -aspectratio 4:3 / -aspectratio 16:9) In a future update, this will be added as an option in the Graphics menu.

Video Memory Reporting as 0MB

Fixed reported issues of the video card reporting having 0MB of video memory available.  Users unable to adjust Graphics options because of this (Also helps fix stuttering on some video cards).

Rockstar also said it is aware of "cheaters and hackers" in the game's multiplayer mode, and that it has plans to deal with those unscrupulous shenanigans in another patch. More information about the upcoming update can be found at the official support site [http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/news/article/max-payne-3-pc-new-patch-for-commonly-reported-issues.html].

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I'm glad they're aware of the hackers. I just recently played a game with a guy who had infinite ammo, no reload, and infinite health with a rotary grenade launcher...and I STILL outscored him. That's just sad, man.

I wonder if they're planning on balancing the weapons at all. Starting weapons have better stats than unlockable weapons and more mods (as well as weighing less in some cases) while the Auto 9mm is THE WORST gun in the game bar none. It's just so terrible.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
My only issue is that the game seems to lock up when it transitions from cut scene to in game on the odd occasion. Haven't figured out what the problem is and google hasn't helped.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
At least they are supporting it. That is more than can be said about some other products Rockstar has thrown onto the PC. Too bad they decided to sell this game for $60 out the door. I would have picked it up for cheaper. Now I have to wait for a big sale. That is the downside to not buying it right away for them, in regards to me. If I don't get it initially, I become interested in other things and move on till I'm buying up cheap things I always wanted to play and never did.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Baresark said:
At least they are supporting it. That is more than can be said about some other products Rockstar has thrown onto the PC. Too bad they decided to sell this game for $60 out the door. I would have picked it up for cheaper. Now I have to wait for a big sale. That is the downside to not buying it right away for them, in regards to me. If I don't get it initially, I become interested in other things and move on till I'm buying up cheap things I always wanted to play and never did.

You're not missing much. The movement and shooting feels more like GTA IV -slow and sticky- rather than the fast and flowing movement and combat of Max Payne. Sure there's bullet time, but most of the time enemies will still hit you even when you do the trademark shootdodges. There is also a lot of time spent in cover.

And by god are there a lot of cutscenes. For every 5 minutes of gameplay there are 5 minutes of cutscenes. You spend as much time watching TV as you do playing the damn thing. They also re-used Niko Bellic's wierd monkey-lipped facial animations/model. And even so you can finish it in about a day.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
This and L.A. Noire get PC ports but I'll never get to play Red Dead Redemption... Ye that's cool, I'm totally happy with that deal.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
How the hell is a gaming patch news? Like, I get why they're reporting it, because with nothing prepared for V they have nothing else to talk about, but why is it news here? Games get patches all the time.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Baresark said:
Games that come right before Winter/Summer are always no buys at launch for me because you're guaranteed at least like 25% off the price, hell they made the PC crowd wait like a month for release, I sure as hell can tell Rockstar to stuff it and wait another month for a better deal.

Racecarlock said:
How the hell is a gaming patch news? Like, I get why they're reporting it, because with nothing prepared for V they have nothing else to talk about, but why is it news here? Games get patches all the time.
Rockstar doesn't really support it's PC releases, hell it's one of the prime examples of a publisher that really doesn't give a rat's ass about the PC crowd. They either don't release their games on the PC or if they do it's months down the line and a piss poor buggy port.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
LordFish said:
Pretty big list of bugs, rushed out it would seem... sigh.
No, Rockstar just really suck at PC ports. This is common for them. You should see the state GTA4 and LA Noire launched in. Jesus that was bad. In truth, this might be one of their better ports.

OT: Cheaters in the multiplayer? Hmmm, maybe it's for the best Steam isn't letting me play 1 and 2 so I can get to grips with it for 3. Call me when they've got a stable game.

Calumon: Call me when he puts his hair back on his head and not his mouth!