NASA Compiles Stunning Transit of Venus Video

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
NASA Compiles Stunning Transit of Venus Video

See a rare planetary phenomenon without burning your eyeballs.

Astrophysicist and cook a 16" pepperoni pizza in nine seconds [http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/neil-degrasse-tyson-reaction] on the surface of Venus. For what it's worth, the sun could similarly cook Venus - about 1,443,000 of it at once, if need be. These two galactic hotbeds converged in a rare cosmic ballet on June 5, 2012 when observers on Earth observed the transit of Venus across the sun. Using terabytes upon terabytes of photographs and videos, NASA compiled a video of the event, showing the sun's radiance across a spectrum of colors and Venus as a haunting, ephemeral silhouette.

As far as the video goes, it's probably just better to watch it [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Z9rM8ChTjY], as no description could really do it justice. Against a dramatic orchestral backdrop, NASA shows Venus moving across the sun in its various spectra: a stately yellow, a fiery orange, and a subdued purple. If you wanted to see the transit of Venus without burning your eyes out or constructing a rudimentary projection device, this is about as good as it gets.

The transit of Venus occurs in eight-year pairs once every 105 or 121 years, depending on the relative positions of Venus and Earth. This means that while the last transit took place in 2004, the next one will not occur until 2117. Unless you have plans to live substantially longer than any human being in history, this video will be about as close as you get to seeing this planetary phenomenon again. Not to worry, though: If you're keen on catching astronomical oddities, there will be a total solar eclipse [http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH2012.html#SE2012Nov13T] on November 13, 2012. You'll have to be in the southern Pacific Ocean or a narrow stretch of northern Australia to see it, of course, but chances are that NASA will catalogue that one, too.

Source: NASAexplorer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4Z9rM8ChTjY]

Sep 14, 2009
that was pretty awesome

I wonder, do they make those pictures in 1080p? would definitely consider adding that glorious yellow one into my desktop slideshow

Stil..*shudders* it could've been just me, but DAMNNN, it was flippin hot as shit outside when venus was crossing paths with the sun, I don't think i've ever tanned so fast in my life.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
If you wanted to see the transit of Venus without burning your eyes out or constructing a rudimentary projection device, this is about as good as it gets.
*Note : I am still struggling to cope with my rage and bitter disappointment as I type this. I am not usually a monkeyape of Furious Anger[sup]TM[/sup].*

[HEADING=1]THIS HAPPENS TO NOT BE ENTIRELY ACCURATE.[/HEADING]

See, some of us would have liked to point our telescopes at the sun. Perhaps SOME OF US would have put their NEW AND EXPENSIVE SOLAR FILTER on their telescopes. THEN MAYBE SOME OF US MIGHT HAVE WATCHED THE TRANSIT LIVE, WITH OUR OWN EYES AND WITH GLORIOUS MAGNIFICATION, THE LAST HUMANS TO DO SO FOR OVER A CENTURY.

IT IS, IN FACT, ENTIRELY POSSIBLE THAT SOME OF US STAYED AWAKE ALL NIGHT, DESPERATELY CHECKING THE EASTERN HORIZON, WAITING FOR THE SUNRISE.

Of course, living in Scotland, asking that a June day not be foggy, cloudy, and pissing rain [HEADING=3]ON THE DAY OF AN EVENT I WILL NOT EVER VIEW AGAIN IN A LIFETIME OF ASTRONOMY[/HEADING] was frankly preposterous.

Fin.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
As a libra (and probably just someone who appreciates astronomy/science), I think this is awesome stuff.

Particularly liked all the various angles and methods of filming the sun that were used~

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Oh man, I am so close to living in that part of Australia where the solar eclipse is happening. I got all excited, but then no, not quite, no eclipse for me.

Maybe I can still catch, you know, most of the eclipse. That would be cool.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Wow...

That was beautiful enough to almost make me shed a tear.

Thanks for sharing.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Now they don't have to send people into space, their media budget has significantly improved.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I watched it from home. All I did was put on three pairs of sunglasses and then took to staring at the sun. I'm lucky I have good eyesight, because my sister couldn't see it at all.

The sun was bright as fuck, I'll say that much. Worth it.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Octorok said:
So you are blaming something that nobody can control for not seeing the event? The weather.

Edit: Scotland's weather at that. As a fellow Scot, I laugh at you thinking it was going to be anything other than rain, clouds and/or snow on a day when you actually want to look at the sky ;)

OT: I love stuff like this. Too bad I didn't know about it until the day after :(

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
As a libra (and probably just someone who appreciates astronomy/science), I think this is awesome stuff.

Particularly liked all the various angles and methods of filming the sun that were used~
What has being a libra have to do with astronomy/science ? Have you also taken the Polar Shift into account ? You might not even be Libra.

O.T I'm glad I was able to see it :D

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Yosharian said:
Uhhh.... not seeing why this is generating so much interest, really... It's kinda boring to watch a little black dot sweeping across the sun. I would much rather be watching some high res video of the sun itself alone? Shrug.
It's just the fact that the next one will be in 2117, so we kinda got a big chance to be able to see it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Yosharian said:
Uhhh.... not seeing why this is generating so much interest, really... It's kinda boring to watch a little black dot sweeping across the sun. I would much rather be watching some high res video of the sun itself alone? Shrug.
Because some people have a sense of History? Following in the footsteps of Mason and Dixon or the Great Navigator himself James Cook is plenty enough reason for me to have made a primitive magnifying camera obscura. Hell this is only the 8th time the transit has been observable.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
rhizhim said:
there is something wrong with it.

it appears as if the venus gets a pattern/hatching/shading when it 'touches' the sun. look closely.

optical illusion?
If I remember from basic astronomy, that is refraction from the suns rays on Venus'es atmosphere. This effect is used quite often to find the components of the atmosphere. They were using it this time for that to.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Gotta love the religion argument in the comments, youtube never fails to impress me.