Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3 Preview: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

The small squad starts to make sense.

Read Full Article

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Wait ..
I was one of those players who beat highest difficulty in one sitting, without saving, and sending troops to their doom in edge-to-edge sweeps was something that did not work.

Carpet bombing with grenades was a much better strategy.

I think small squads might make for a more balanced game overall, if done correctly. I mean, anything that reduces the whole recruiting troops by the hundreds, and firing anyone who failed the psi exam, is probably a good thing.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
I always found some of the tactics needed at higher level to be quite disturbing when I was doing the brainless grunt slaughter tricks. I mean, taking in massive amounts of highly trained personal, discriminating against everyone who didn't have a quirk of genetics....

Then getting everyone with that quirk of genetics quickly killed off because someone messed up. At the rate I often went through troops, I'm surprised we could find any psi possessing individuals left near the end.

Still, I'm going to miss the awesomeness of 24 highly trained Psonic badasses standing side to side for the first time. It was one of those moments in video gaming where yuor first sight sticks with you.

BlindWorg

Oct 31, 2009
Having only watched the original game being LP'ed by Kikoskia from youtube, i think i would prefer smaller squads. Dont have to wade through every single FREAKING NEW GUY and deplete their time units so they do something and gather xp rather than watching the Skyranger.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I can understand why they reduced the squad size. I only ever went around with a group of around 6. Although, having the ranger full of 14 recruits and then getting half of them pasted and the brave few being left as scarred veteran bad-asses was quite something. I really wanted those guys to make it out alive, especially if they were there from the beginning.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
I guess it does from a character design and difficulty standpoint, but will you behaving up to six troops total, or is that just all you can command at once (like with Mass Effect Squads)? With permanent deaths that would seem especially harsh on the player.
Well only a guess here, but I doubt you'd send the entirety of your troops on ever mission, so you can probably have like 10-15 so you can let some rest while others go.

That is entirely conjecture on my part based on no actual data.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...I think you played a far more brutal game of X-Com than I did.

Tanks, baby.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
This game looks bloody fantastic. Day one purchase indeed!

Also aren't all of Firaxis' games moddable? So it's probably possible we're gonna get an increased unit mod.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Well, I'll take Steve's word on it. X-Com, I believe, is his favourite game ever made ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.338401-Why-X-COM-Is-the-Greatest-Game-Ever ) so I'm going to assume if there are big problems with this version he's going to come down on them.

Dr. Mongo

Oct 31, 2011
I guess the small squad size does make sense. I really can't wait to get my hands on that game.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Whilst playing Xcom I only ever used a squad of 5 elite people. It was just much more manageable and allowed me to keep a less experienced but still formidable force in reserve. However that is the real problem. There has been no word about if the 6 are ALL you get or if that's just the away team.

If 6 is the total amount of soldiers you can have that will be an incredibly stupid choice. You then have 6 guys who are basically your permanent soldiers. There won't be a team of backup soldiers or a Bravo Squad that goes on less dangerous missions to train.

Now it's just 6 guys who are all you have. Apparently humanities last hope is run by chimps.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Four soldiers in one squad seems a little too small. Six, however, seems like a good number.

I'm really looking forward to this game.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I'm not sold yet over the 4-man squads. Hopefully, the upgrade to six will be more interesting, but the way i see it now, they're just forcing us to use the kind of tactics they want.

Also, am i the only one who didn't feel like the "skipping everyone else's turns" in the original wasn't a bad thing? They had their points left, which meant they could provide covering fire for the recon teams. I always had a part of my squad do this in order to be prepared in case aliens showed up from any direction and not once did it save the life of my scouts.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
4 is still WAY too small a number.
They should make it 6 in the beginning, 10 through research.
I alway took 10 with me, you just needed that many soldiers when you wanted to capture a very big ufo, or wanted to kick some etherers (I don't know how they are written, the psy guys) asses on a terror mission

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Sounds more and more like a game of Dawn of War 2 to think about it.

Not that I mind I did have some fun mulching through xenos scum with Avitus, Tarkus, Thule, and my tanky Commander.

Come to think of it I am going to make an expy of my Blood Raven squad when the game comes out.
Or maybe an Stargate team....

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Amaror said:
4 is still WAY too small a number.
They should make it 6 in the beginning, 10 through research.
I alway took 10 with me, you just needed that many soldiers when you wanted to capture a very big ufo, or wanted to kick some etherers (I don't know how they are written, the psy guys) asses on a terror mission
I ended my X-COM playthroughs using two teams of 4-5 for most of the missions, with a backup team of squaddies in case I badly found myself needing manpower (the Breeding Vats in Apocalypse most definitely demanded it unless you wanted to get mind-controlled and blow up your entire team with a Blaster Bomb).

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
I've already tracked down my old disk so I can install the original to show it to friends.

After the "Xshock" (or would it be "Biocom"?) reboot shooter debacle, I think I actually whooped when I saw the first dev diary video for the new game.

I look forward to having my old squad back together again. 'Trencher' on heavy weapons, 'Deadeye' on the longrifle, 'Breach' with his explosive toys, 'Sarge' toting the spare clips, and the psi twins hanging back in the 'Ranger. The rest of the expedition team were cycled for training before getting shipped out to other bases for security duty.

What I really miss were the artificial limitations I ended up using with later playthroughs... "No Heavy Weapons (Autocannon, Heavy Cannon/Laser/etc.) without Powered Armor", "No Psi-Amps", "Leave No Evidence (burn/blow-up all alien remains)", "Earth/Hybrid-Tech Only", and so on. Having just plain pistols and rifles for half of the game meant a LOT of soldier recruitment.

Here's to hoping that the tiny snippets of footage depicting stealth armor, grappling hooks, and the other proposed soldier rank upgrades are as awesome as I think they'll be.