E3 Preview: Tomb Raider

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
This and Hitman: Absolution are the only games I intend to pre-order.

I am loving the new direction they headed with it instead of re-creating one of the older formulas that simply weren't working anymore, it was stale.

but I can't wait to see how it's gonna pan out - From what I've seen, nothing is wrong, Not a damn thing.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
This game reminds me too much of Uncharted and not enough of Tomb Raider, based on what I've seen. Tomb raider originally had more of an emphasis on puzzles with a few shoot-outs, whereas Uncharted focuses on shoot-outs with a few puzzles.

I can understand the need for change - a game series has to change or you get boring series like Call of Duty. But there was no reason they couldn't have stuck with the original concept and improved it. I only say this because as noted, I can play a third-person shooter anywhere, and there so far doesn't seem to be anything that separates a series I once loved from the rest of the pack.

I guess its been a long time coming for Tomb Raider. The games have slowly devolved into action titles. But its a Shooter Market out there. Good thing Hitman: Absolution seems to be staying true to its roots while still evolving.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm really getting behind this quiet drama thing, the Last of Us and Tomb Raider look amazing and it just feels so good that suddenly we're getting these kind of stories

Sheo_Dagana said:
I can understand the need for change - a game series has to change or you get boring series like Call of Duty. But there was no reason they couldn't have stuck with the original concept and improved it. I only say this because as noted, I can play a third-person shooter anywhere, and there so far doesn't seem to be anything that separates a series I once loved from the rest of the pack.
I'm with you on the shooting, but everything else I'm glad they've thrown away most of the previous Tomb Raider games, this is probably one of games that's got my attention more than anything else

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
This game reminds me too much of Uncharted and not enough of Tomb Raider, based on what I've seen. Tomb raider originally had more of an emphasis on puzzles with a few shoot-outs, whereas Uncharted focuses on shoot-outs with a few puzzles.

I guess its been a long time coming for Tomb Raider. The games have slowly devolved into action titles. But its a Shooter Market out there. Good thing Hitman: Absolution seems to be staying true to its roots while still evolving.
I though the same thing. I guess good on them for taking away Miss croft sex symbol status.She's come a long way she use to even be a spokes women. Now She's a Drake want to be. The survival aspect will keep it diffrent. All we can do is wait and see. Me I'll at least keep it in my gamefly Q.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:

Bear in mind, though, that we've only seen a short part of the whole experience. While the island isn't exactly open-world, apparently we'll get the opportunity to simply go out and explore on our own, or even spend a few hours hunting. Exploration is key, also, to gain new items to get across those 'gear-gates', so in a way, the exploration ties in completely to the idea of puzzle-solving. And they had to show something a bit more exciting for their E3 reveal than simply running through forests, right?

As a long-time fan of Tomb Raider, I'm really excited for the new game. Lara is quickly gaining her reputation and prestige back as the queen of gaming. Hopefully she'll set a better example for game characters as well.