Amid Controversy, 38 Studios Declares Bankruptcy - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Amid Controversy, 38 Studios Declares Bankruptcy - UPDATED

State and federal authorities are now investigating the final collapse of the Kingdoms of Amalur studio.

Like the high-speed train wreck it so closely resembles, the grinding collapse of Curt Schilling's 38 Studios is hard to stop and getting uglier with every passing second. Today, the studio officially declared bankruptcy, and not the Chapter 11 kind, which allows companies to continue functioning while they get their finances sorted, but Chapter Seven, otherwise known as a one-way trip to Liquidation City.

"This action comes after several weeks when the company has reviewed, considered and received the recommendations and advice with respect to potential avenues for relief that are currently available," a company rep told the Providence Journal. "After ongoing negotiations with the State of Rhode Island and potential investors and other interested parties, the Company has been unable to find a solution to the current stalemate."

Unfortunately for all involved, the end of 38 Studios doesn't mean the end of the unpleasantness. The Rhode Island State Police, the FBI, the U.S. Attorney's office and the Rhode Island Attorney General "are working together to investigate activities that have recently come to light at 38 Studios," according to State Police Colonel Steven O'Donnell. Those "activities" relate to the $75 million loan guarantee that brought 38 Studios to Rhode Island in the first place, plus another $8.5 million loan from Bank RI that was only recently disclosed, based on state film tax credits that had not actually been issued to the company.

And in case that's not bad enough, the Journal also reported that according to court documents, 38 Studios' Baltimore location, formerly known as Big Huge Games, has liabilities in excess of $100 million and assets of only $500,000 to $1 million.

Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee has scheduled a press conference for later this afternoon. We'll update with further information as it becomes available.

UPDATE: Conflicting reports about the actual state of 38 Studios' debt have surfaced, as WPRI has chimed in with a different, albeit still very ugly, set of numbers. According to that report, 38 Studios Baltimore LLC owes only $5.5 million, while the company's total debt is just over $150 million. $115.9 million of that is a secured debt owed to the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation, while the balance, including unpaid wages to former employees, is unsecured and not expected to be paid. Whatever the specifics eventually turn out to be, it's a lot of money, and a lot of people are going to lose out.

O'Donnell also clarified that the investigation into 38 Studios actually began on Wednesday, and is not connected to today's declaration of bankruptcy.

Source: WPRI [http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/2012/06/38-studios-decl.html]

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I imagine it's a very wonderful feeling knowing that you're suddenly liable for around 100x your own worth.

The government isn't even going to get its money back either.

...Everyone wins!

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
...based on state film tax credits that had not actually been issued to the company.
That should read, "...based on state film tax credits that had been promised to the company, but the governor withheld without cause."

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Azuaron said:
Andy Chalk said:
...based on state film tax credits that had not actually been issued to the company.
That should read, "...based on state film tax credits that had been promised to the company, but the governor withheld without cause."
Agreed.

OT: Well that sucks, although I get the feeling that the governor is putting 38 Studios under the screw to try and gain as much money as possible to look good to the voting public.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Azuaron said:
Andy Chalk said:
Does that change anythin to do with the 100 million dollar liabilities they had in Baltimore or the inability to pay back the 75 million dollars given before?

The answer is no.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Azuaron said:
Andy Chalk said:
It was pulled because they failed to make their May 1st loan payment. Part of the stipulation for the tax credit is that you're not in default. You also don't go up to your creditor on the 30th to tell them that you can't make the payment on the 1st. They were burning over 4 million a month most of it on salaries. If they were running the business properly they had plenty of time to adjust their burn rate so they could actually make that May 1st payment.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
shintakie10 said:
Azuaron said:
Andy Chalk said:
Does that change anythin to do with the 100 million dollar liabilities they had in Baltimore or the inability to pay back the 75 million dollars given before?

The answer is no.
I'm pretty certain they didn't get all 75 million Rhode Island promised them. I think they got something like 48.

As for the "100 million in liabilities" that shouldn't even really be mentioned here. It's from a studio that was under 38 Studios, Big Huge Games. They were operating long before 38 existed and was bought up by Epic a few days ago so now it's in their hands, not 38's.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
"thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww POW"
That sound you hear when something is slowly but surely crashing.

Have we now reached the pow or are we still at the wwwwwwwwwwwwww part?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Well that sucks. So I guess that means the Amalur IP is now property of the US government? Fantastic... I'm sure they'll know exactly what to do with it.

triorph

Aug 5, 2008
I think they really dropped the ball by making the tutorial so short on this game. After the 2 hour or so game, I felt very disappointed, but recently I've started playing the real game and noticed that after 8 hours or so the gameplay gets a bit more interesting. Games like these need a bit of time to ramp-up, and a lackluster tutorial is probably more damaging than none at all.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Azuaron said:
Andy Chalk said:
Wow, no. Did you read Schilling's interview in the Providence Journal the whole way through a couple of weeks ago, or whenever it came out? Unless you have a hard copy of the paper, it's unlikely, thanks to the ProJo's payway. But I do and I did. In it, he's quite clear that the governor tried to approve those tax credits, but that Keith Stokes, the RIEDC's executive director who cut the deal in the first place, missed a deadline and so they were no longer eligible.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Azuaron said:
Andy Chalk said:

The answer is no.
First, they hadn't been given $75 million, they'd been given something like $50 million, and it wasn't all due at once.

Secondly, they don't have $100 million in liabilities in Baltimore, they have more like $5.5 million in liabilities in Baltimore.

Thirdly, yes, having money lets you make your loan payments. Duh.

Fourthly, they were close to getting additional investors when the governor denied their tax credits and started yelling about how everything was terrible and going to fail, which promptly scared all the investors away.

The 38 Studios debacle can be mostly laid at the feet of a governor who wanted to kill a project facilitated by the previous administration. If 38 Studios had stayed in Massachusetts, it's likely they'd still be working on Copernicus.

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
Scrustle said:
Well that sucks. So I guess that means the Amalur IP is now property of the US government? Fantastic... I'm sure they'll know exactly what to do with it.
Yea, sell it to the highest bidder to try and recoup their losses.

loch belthadd

Aug 20, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Is this Rhode Island's payback for when the Protestants kicked them out of Massachusetts?
You mean when Roger Williams ripped a chunk of Massachusetts off and turned it into a seperate colony? Because the protestants were pretty angry about that.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
I am kinda confused by what those 'state film tax credits' actually are? Is this a tax refund? Credits that they can use for their next tax return? How could they get a loan against those credits now?

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
You know what 38 studios needs right now? A good represenative. I recommend Paul Christoforo. Great guy, maybe you've already heard of him?

But seriously, thank god for the #38jobs thing.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
I wonder why employee wages are always "unsecured". They did the work, damn it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
shintakie10 said:
Azuaron said:
Andy Chalk said:

The answer is no.
I'm pretty certain they didn't get all 75 million Rhode Island promised them. I think they got something like 48.

As for the "100 million in liabilities" that shouldn't even really be mentioned here. It's from a studio that was under 38 Studios, Big Huge Games. They were operating long before 38 existed and was bought up by Epic a few days ago so now it's in their hands, not 38's.
That not exactly correct, Epic quickly announced a new Studio in Baltimore and have offered Big Huge Games employees jobs at the new studio as many as they could afford to start working on an Epic IP. Epic Baltimore does not have a physical studio workspace yet.