E3 Preview: The Elder Scrolls Online

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3 Preview: The Elder Scrolls Online

Journey back a few hundred years to the early days of Tamriel.

Read Full Article

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sounds fairly interesting, but I'm waiting for price models to show up before I make any sort of decision. I'll at least try it out given the chance at a free go.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Race determines faction...they'll finally have to balance the redguard and breton racials with the garbage everyone else gets.

Or everyone will just play redguard or breton, whatever works.

BlindWorg

Oct 31, 2009
Skeptic as ever until i can see it in action in large quantities before i can analyze the pros and cons.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
That does sound pretty interesting. I just hope PVP isn't forced on players though. It sounds like it won't be which is good.

TConti

Sep 21, 2009
I wish they would stop saying it looks like an Elder Scrolls game. It doesn't. Orcs, Humans, various shades of elves,cat and lizard people (while all part of the Elder Scrolls series) don't make an elder scrolls game. The graphical style they chose is nothing more then the generic fantasy settings seen in countless other fantasy games.From what they've shone there's nothing special that signals Elder Scrolls other then the names of the races and the names of the cities.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
The article mentions "There is not much left of the city of Cyrodiil", but Cyrodiil is a region of Tamriel! :O

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
So the Imperial City war is a PVP-style thing then? Because that sounds like it could be interesting.
But then who gets to be Emperor? All sounds very intriguing to me!

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Dr Jones said:
The article mentions "There is not much left of the city of Cyrodiil", but Cyrodiil is a region of Tamriel! :O
Cyrodiil City is another name for the Imperial City.

I might check this out if the price is right. Label me as cautiously optimistic.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
TheBobmus said:
So the Imperial City war is a PVP-style thing then? Because that sounds like it could be interesting.
I'm guessing there is a king of the hill style win conditions, and either some NPC figure for each faction will be crowned Emperor (likely) or some really high ranking player will be Emperor (highly unlikely).

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
TheBobmus said:
I'm guessing there is a king of the hill style win conditions, and either some NPC figure for each faction will be crowned Emperor (likely) or some really high ranking player will be Emperor (highly unlikely).
I'd prefer some sort of Faction Leader political system, but that might be hoping too much.
But a full PvP style rather than just a solo campaign for the city sounds good!

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
TheBobmus said:
Ragsnstitches said:
TheBobmus said:
I'd prefer some sort of Faction Leader political system, but that might be hoping too much.
But a full PvP style rather than just a solo campaign for the city sounds good!
Something akin to EVEs economical emphasis? Yeah, I think that's asking for too much...

Let's just hope this is a distinctly TES MMO, and not a MMO with TES palette.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
When he opened with "I've always felt that the Elder Scrolls games are sort of like single player MMOs."
I stopped caring about his opinion.

Selef

Nov 13, 2009
Jester Lord said:
Dr Jones said:

I might check this out if the price is right. Label me as cautiously optimistic.
ive never once heard the Imperial city referred too as the city of cyrodiil, though ive heard cyrodiil referred to as the Imperial Provence

Clive Howlitzer said:
When he opened with "I've always felt that the Elder Scrolls games are sort of like single player MMOs."
I stopped caring about his opinion.
pretty much agree with that, elder scrolls has always been far too interesting to be compared to an MMO.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
"Despite the MMO nature of the game, your own personal story missions will be entirely instanced."

The ESO-tanic docking at a harbor near you. Maiden Voyage date undetermined as of now, but don't worry, it's unsinkable, just like tOR!

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Selef said:
Jester Lord said:
Dr Jones said:

ive never once heard the Imperial city referred too as the city of cyrodiil, though ive heard cyrodiil referred to as the Imperial Provence
Same here, the Imperial city was always noted as such in the empires and before that was an Ayleid monument. Aside from that, it's kind of weird seeing the Nords being cooperative with both Dunmer and Argonians albeit tense. Also, no mention of Altmer in the Aldmeri Dominion? Kind of hard to miss the premier fascist race of a nation of fascist elves and cat people.