Age Of Conan Server Merge Details Emerge

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Age Of Conan Server Merge Details Emerge

Age of Conan [http://www.funcom.com/] server merge, scheduled to begin sometime this week.

The merge will be spread out over the next few weeks in order to help ensure that things go smoothly, according to a forum post by U.S. Community Manager Glen "Famine" Swan. The U.S. servers "Bloodspire" and "Hyperborea" will be the first to be merged, while details regarding the remaining servers will be released shortly. Swan also noted that while the process is being handled in small groups, all servers in the territory of the merging servers will be unavailable while the merge takes place. Funcom is uncertain how long the game will be down while this happens, but Swan said the company expects the downtime to be "longer than usual," with a guess of around five to six hours per merge.

"When the merge process is complete we will be giving all active subscribers an appropriate amount of free game-time to compensate for the additional downtime required for the merges," he said. "The details of this will be communicated once the merge process is complete." Funcom will also be offering a free, one-time-only character transfer option for players who want to change servers after the merge is finished.

Funcom also plans on opening "fresh start" servers in both the U.S. and E.U. for players who want to begin the game in a "totally new environment" with a new community, rather than joining one of the more crowded, merged servers. Swan added that transfers to these servers would not be allowed.

To learn more about the Age of Conan server merge, keep an eye on the Server Merge Information thread on the here [http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=175923].

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Server Merges are always a very, very bad sign with an MMO.

Of course, not like we needed more evidence AoC was having issues.

Hevoo

Nov 29, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

Yeah really.

That game is crap. I would know I played it for a month.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
I'm no expert on MMOs, but I can only imagine that means far less players than there are need for servers.

Why can't they do anything cool like have "the next few weeks" be a massive PvP event where people from one server go through a temporal rift. On the other server they'd see a giant anomaly form in the sky only to see barbarian after barbarian descend down on flaming horses, brandishing their blades and letting out their battle cries. When they land, the horses disappear, but not their thirst for blood and the desire to conquer this new land.

When the worlds merge, who will rule?

Zeldadudes

Sep 12, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

Probably a load of people left for the new WoW expansion.
When people were waiting for that expansion the servers sure went quiet on WoW...

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Hevoo said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Yeah really.

That game is crap. I would know I played it for a month.
/facepalm

Anyways, I thought the game was great in concept, and the gameplay wasn't wretched. It was just the general incompetence of Funcom that sent this game straight to hell.