Explore a Deep-Space Soviet Mystery in Lifeless Planet

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Explore a Deep-Space Soviet Mystery in Lifeless Planet

The new Lifeless Planet trailer is haunting, beautiful and full of promise.

I hate to admit it but despite being successfully Kickstarted back in October 2011, Lifeless Planet somehow stayed under my radar until it was brought to my attention via email this morning. It's embarrassing because based on everything on display in this trailer, this is exactly my kind of game: bizarre, PC-exclusive and Russian.

The game itself isn't actually Russian, but they're in there and up to shenanigans of some sort. Exactly what sort of shenanigans they're up to is a mystery, and what a mystery it is. After a pioneering, one-way flight to a planet 20 light years away, astronauts crash-land on the surface, only to discover traces of a pre-existing Soviet presence - and that the lush, Earth-like world they expected is barren and lifeless.

Is some kind of Planet of the Apes twist in the offing? Did the Soviet Union discover, and then somehow lose, the secret of faster-than-light travel? Did aliens spying on humanity back in the 60s decide that Kruschev and Co. had the right idea, but then crash-landed on the way home before they could spread the news and decided that their final act in this life would be to erect a monument to the brilliance and eternal greatness of the U.S.S.R.?

Okay, that last one's a bit of a stretch, but the idea is incredibly intriguing. It has a considerable Ico [http://www.amazon.com/Myst-10th-Anniversary-DVD-Edition-Mac/dp/B0000AFWWH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339436269&sr=8-1&keywords=Myst]. That's a bold comparison but if it holds up, it makes Lifeless Planet a must-play game.

Lifeless Planet is currently expected to be out by the end of the year. To find out more, hit up lifelessplanet.com [http://www.lifelessplanet.com/].

Thanks to valsholk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/valsholk] for the tip.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
This looks like my kinda game alright. Definitely gonna keep am eye on it. I 'm Glad I clicked on a link I wasn't really interested in due to boredom now.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
That looks, differant, but good differant. Whats with the creepy space chick though?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
robert022614 said:
Why no mention of the bald chick with glowing green eyes in the beginning?
imnotparanoid said:
Whats with the creepy space chick though?
That's part of the mystery! The Kickstarter page actually offers some insight into it, but I don't want to spoil anything. If I had my way, every news post I write would just be "HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THIS" and a link.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
If I had my way, every news post I write would just be "HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THIS" and a link.
In the case of this game, that would have been appropriate. Definately one game to keep an eye on.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
First heard of it a year ago, and it looked interesting then but there just wasn't enough out there for me to get a solid idea of what it was like. That trailer really looks good though, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it'll be out later this year. Looking forward to it!

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
PC-exclusive is where you got me.

Seems very interesting. I hope it's more about soviets. Aliens tend to be quite boring.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Yes yes but does it have the text-to speech feature from Moonbase Alpha? All space games need to have that, don'tchaknow.

Seriously though, I'd probably really enjoy this, right up until the aliens inevitably show up to just wreck everything and destroy all the interest I had in it.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
So many awesome looking indie title.... such a shitty graphics card in my laptop.

*Cries in the corner*

(Captcha: Win free rent.... if only I had that to spare on a new rig)

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
This looks very interesting.

I shall have to check this out on release me thinks.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Looked kinda not so great graphics wise

And... i hate to say it but there is too much mystery for me to be interested