Xbox 360 Arcades to Include Internal Memory

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Xbox 360 Arcades to Include Internal Memory

Microsoft has confirmed that upgraded versions of the Xbox 360 Arcade consoles will include internal memory instead of requiring memory cards to save games.

Rumors started circulating yesterday when videos and pictures [http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/12/01/more-proof-of-jaspers-with-256mb-internal-memory/] of new Xbox 360 Arcade units considered to include the Jasper chip set and internal storage began surfacing that the Arcade SKU had officially been replaced.

Today, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to Xbox360Fanboy [http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/12/02/microsoft-confirms-256mb-internal-storage-in-xbox-360-arcade-uni/], "We are constantly updating the console's more than 1700 internal components. We can confirm that we are moving to internal memory for the Xbox 360 Arcade. The physical internal memory is the same size as the previous external memory units - 256MB."

While 256 megabytes is not a large amount of space for any music, media or game saves, it is an improvement from forcing consumers to purchase an extra $50 for a 512 megabyte memory card. This also lessens the actual price of buying the Arcade unit, which retails for $199, increasing its appeal to holiday shoppers.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
For game saves, 256mb is a rather reasonable amount. I haven't hit that much and I keep almost all my saves on a memory card. For downloadable content, not so much.

One thing to note is that the Arcade-level unit has always come with a memory card. If anything, this is a slight downgrade, as the storage is now bound to the machine instead of being portable. Memory cards are the only real way to take your profile with you if you plan on playing with someone else on their console.

On the other hand, it definitely lowers the production cost for the Arcade machines. On-board storage will definitely be cheaper than including a memory card, so hopefully this will help leave some room for further price cuts in the future.

Stringytank

Oct 8, 2008
I'm not sure I fully get what they're doing, but are they just shipping the Arcade with extra hardware?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Stringytank said:
I'm not sure I fully get what they're doing, but are they just shipping the Arcade with extra hardware?
The system now has a memory chip inside of it rather than requiring one to plug in a memory card.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I'm not sure if I should be annoyed about this since I just bought an 360 arcade last friday, well at least if my arcade get's the RROD I can at least keep my memory card so I don't lose my saved game files.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Good news. It's a good way for Microsoft to target the lower-end (price) demographic, offering a complete gaming package for under the price of the Wii (which, I suppose, will be in shortage).

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Logan Frederick said:
Stringytank said:
The system now has a memory chip inside of it rather than requiring one to plug in a memory card.
I thought you could just put a HDD on them? Am I misinformed?

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Radelaide said:
Logan Frederick said:
Stringytank said:
I thought you could just put a HDD on them? Am I misinformed?
Yes you can... AND I KNOW HOW....mwhahahha