"The Eternal War": Ten Years of a Single Civ 2 Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"The Eternal War": Ten Years of a Single Civ 2 Game

A man who's been playing the same game of Civilization 2 for the past ten years is now looking for help.

What happens when you spend a decade of your life playing one single game of the masterful strategy title Civilization 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-II-Pc/dp/B000FPM8OG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339515895&sr=8-1&keywords=Civilization+2]? Nothing good, as it turns out, at least not for the virtual citizens of your world. A reddit user by the name of Lycerius posted his ten-year tale of woe earlier today, describing his world in the year 3991 A.D. as "a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation."

At this point in history, only three super-nations remain - the Vikings, the Americans and the Celts, played by Lycerius. For the past 1700 years, they've been locked in warfare over the planet's few remaining resources that's gone nuclear numerous times, which has in turn caused the polar ice caps to melt more than 20 times, leaving all parts of the world that aren't mountains a useless morass of swamps. Most of the population has been killed off by war or starvation, as global warming has ruined arable land and caused sweeping famines; big cities no longer exist, and what resources remain are constantly poured into the military, just to maintain the stalemate.

There's more than that and none of it good, but despite the "air-tight stalemate," Lycerius said his goal over the next few years - real-time, presumably, and not game time - is to end the war and rebuild the world. The obvious problem is that after nearly two millennia of total war, he has no idea how, so he took his problem to reddit.

And reddit, to its credit, responded. Users have posted several long-term strategies that may prove effective and have even credit a subreddit, "The Eternal War," in which to ponder the problem. There is fanfic, of course, and a plan for Lycerius to upload his current savegame later today to allow the rest of the world to take a crack at bringing the hostilities to an end.

And what started his descent into this most awesome game of Civilization ever? "I grew fascinated with this particular game because by the time Civ III [http://www.amazon.com/Civilization-3-Pc/dp/B00005JC8D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339515980&sr=8-3&keywords=Civilization+3] was released, I was already well into the distant future," he explained. "I then thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be. Naturally I play other games and have a life, but I often return to this game when I'm not doing anything and carry on."

Even if you don't particularly care about Civilization, it's a fun, fascinating and well-told story - and if you are a fan, you might even be able to save the world. Either way, this is probably the most interesting thing you'll read all day.

Source: reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/]

Thanks to The_root_of_all_evil [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/The_root_of_all_evil] for the tip.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I think he should build a damn spaceship and move onto Alpha Centauri.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
MammothBlade said:
One of the other two civs would probably just nuke it before he had a chance to launch.

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
Space Jawa said:
MammothBlade said:
One of the other two civs would probably just nuke it before he had a chance to launch.
He said he had SDI, it shouldn't be too difficult to set aside a few cities for parallel production and not get nuked.

aattss

May 13, 2012
Hopefully, the expansion pack for civ 5 will be released by the time this game finishes.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
MammothBlade said:
Space Jawa said:
MammothBlade said:
He said he had SDI, it shouldn't be too difficult to set aside a few cities for parallel production and not get nuked.
He cant even spare cities for food production what makes you think he can build a space program?

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
rolfwesselius said:
MammothBlade said:
Space Jawa said:
MammothBlade said:
He cant even spare cities for food production what makes you think he can build a space program?
He'll have to let the population starve, and produce nothing but ICBMs and spaceship parts. A tragic decision, but Alpha Centauri awaits the chosen ones...

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Wow whenever I get to the end of a civ game I usually only play a hundred odd turns if there is an interesting war still going on but ten years on one game, that is is impressive. Or the worst case of 'Just one more turn' syndrome ever recorded.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
MammothBlade said:
rolfwesselius said:
MammothBlade said:
Space Jawa said:
MammothBlade said:
He'll have to let the population starve, and produce nothing but ICBMs and spaceship parts. A tragic decision, but Alpha Centauri awaits the chosen ones...
His population is already starving and without a constant supply of tanks his front lines will collapse in seconds.

Ot: Im considering picking up an old 4x game and im stuck between alpha centauri or master of orion can anyone tell me which game someone with no experience could learn to play. I'm willing to read a long Manuel.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
This is probably the most awesome thing I've heard all day.

I mean, that's just awesome, and proves why 4X is master race of games at times.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
This is insane but at the same time brilliant. I had a game of Sim City 2000 that lasted probably about 9 months and I thought that was impressive at the time but this blows that right out the water!

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
rolfwesselius said:
MammothBlade said:
rolfwesselius said:
MammothBlade said:
Space Jawa said:
MammothBlade said:
His population is already starving and without a constant supply of tanks his front lines will collapse in seconds.

Ot: Im considering picking up an old 4x game and im stuck between alpha centauri or master of orion can anyone tell me which game someone with no experience could learn to play. I'm willing to read a long Manuel.
He only needs tanks to attack. He can just nuke the chokepoints to oblivion.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I bet this will evolve into a Warhammer 40k esque game. In the grim future, there is only war...

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
This is one of the greatest things I've ever read.

I used to pour hours into Civ II, and to see this guy devote that much time to one game...makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
MammothBlade said:
rolfwesselius said:
MammothBlade said:
rolfwesselius said:
MammothBlade said:
Space Jawa said:
MammothBlade said:

what if he can't manage to get that many nukes in time? He described it as being a 3 way deadlock all over the world, so it seems that would require a lot of nukes.

As soon as production is shifted away from tanks, to make the nukes or anything else, his armies might get rolled and slaughtered, making any other production a moot point.

Without actually seeing what's going on, it's hard to do much past speculation.

galaktar

Nov 16, 2011
3 mega nations... All excess production funneled into the war industries...Cities on the borders trading hands in insignificant gains and losses...This sounds suspiciously similar to the intentional unending stalemate in 1984.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I haven't played any Civ game, but this sounds sweet
aaaaaand depressive at the same time :(

Isn't there some sort of diplomacy available in the game?
You know, ally with vikings and together steamroll those pesky americans

galaktar said:
3 mega nations... All excess production funneled into the war industries...Cities on the borders trading hands in insignificant gains and losses...This sounds suspiciously similar to the intentional unending stalemate in 1984.
Thank you for reminding me :)
That's why I feel depressed

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
Ralen-Sharr said:
MammothBlade said:
rolfwesselius said:
MammothBlade said:
rolfwesselius said:
MammothBlade said:
Space Jawa said:
MammothBlade said:

what if he can't manage to get that many nukes in time? He described it as being a 3 way deadlock all over the world, so it seems that would require a lot of nukes.

As soon as production is shifted away from tanks, to make the nukes or anything else, his armies might get rolled and slaughtered, making any other production a moot point.

Without actually seeing what's going on, it's hard to do much past speculation.
He can control chokepoints. He doesn't have to save his civilisation, just the cities producing the spacecraft. The only point of the nukes is to buy time.

Well, one will be able to see soon... he's going to upload the save file.