Artificial Pancreas Passes Human Trial

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Artificial Pancreas Passes Human Trial

This fully-automated insulin delivery system could change the lives of millions.

Type 1 diabetes is a nasty disease. The root of the problems associated with it is a near-shutdown of the patient's pancreas, meaning that their body is no longer supplied with the insulin it needs to regulate its sugar levels. To keep themselves alive, patients are required to either manually inject insulin or deliver it with an implanted pump. But what if the system could be fully automated using advanced technology and sweet robotics? In an attempt to answer that question, one team of researchers has just completed a successful human trial [http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-06/tlc-prf060612.php] of an independent, artificial pancreas.

The artificial pancreas, dubbed the Hypoglycemia-Hyperglycemia Minimizer (HHM), is composed of an implantable insulin pump, a glucose monitor, and advanced software that enables it to predict changes in the wearer's blood sugar levels. Thanks to its monitoring software, it is able to inject the right amounts of insulin in response to the person's changing needs with astonishing speed and accuracy.

In its first feasibility study earlier this month, the HHM proved capable of tracking and stabilizing blood sugar levels in 13 patients over a 24 hour period. The system alternated between closed-loop (managing things on its own) and open-loop (assisted by humans) phases, including periods where the patients were supplied with food designed to deliberately stress the system out. Right the way through, the HHM and its smart software were able to maintain stability in sugar levels and predict rises and falls in said levels above or below set thresholds.

The system was created and tested by the Animas Corporation in conjuction with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, with the eventual aim being the creation of a closed-loop insulin delivery system for Type 1 diabetics. This successful trial will now allow the researchers involved to further test and develop the technology.

Although diabetics regularly receive glowing news about the latest and greatest leaps forward in insulin technology, the HHM is a little different for one reason: it can function closed-loop. If it passes further stages of research and development, it could dramatically change the daily lives of the millions of Type 1 diabetics worldwide who need to manually monitor their blood sugar and then calculate and inject the right amount of insulin throughout the day.

Of course, such a device would always carry the risk of mechanical failure or a snafu in the software; it remains to be seen whether or not patients would be willing to trust something like this with their, well, lives. The wider implications, and what they mean for the future of the human body and intricate integrated hardware, are interesting too. Would you trust an algorithm with anything more complicated than regulating your heartbeat?

Source: i09 [http://io9.com/5917720/successful-test-of-artificial-pancreas-could-help-millions-with-diabetes]

Image: Wikimedia [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Gray614.png]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I was wondering what this had to do with gaming, until I discovered that Animas is a subdivision of Aperture Science.

poiumty said:
Hmm. doesn't the software need recharging? Something that works on electrical impulses can't possibly have an infinity of them stored up.

If so, how do you do it? Do you open the patient back up and change the batteries?
Because that's pretty damn rough.

Also, yes I would trust an algorithm. Algorithms never make mistakes unless they weren't programmed properly in the first place. And chances are, if it's already been extensively tested... it isn't a matter of "trust".
There are already embedded units which are charged externally. The real difference is that the software itself doesn't need assistance adjusting insulin, not that it's completely self-sufficient.

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
poiumty said:
Hmm. doesn't the software need recharging? Something that works on electrical impulses can't possibly have an infinity of them stored up.

If so, how do you do it? Do you open the patient back up and change the batteries?

Also, yes I would trust an algorithm. Algorithms never make mistakes unless they weren't programmed properly in the first place. And chances are, if it's already been extensively tested... it isn't a matter of "trust".
I don't think a device like this necessarily needs to be completely embedded in a person; insulin pumps at the moment use electronics and aren't, as far as I know, hidden inside someone.

Anyway, interesting things! You're right about it not technically being a matter of "trust" - but humans are fickle creatures. Take the contraceptive pill, for example. Most women who use that stop taking it for a week every month, which induces a fake period of sorts. This isn't at all necessary, but for people who've spent their whole lives taking a period as an indication of their reproductive health, it feels necessary. Medically it means almost nothing, but it's still included as part of the regimen. I've heard it referred to as a "sympathy bleed," even.

So how would a diabetic habituated to years of regulating their own blood sugar and insulin feel about handing control over to a small, but very clever, machine? Would the payoff of not having to inject routinely override any worries? I think it's an interesting line of inquiry.

EDIT: And then there are the embedded human batteries, of course... http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113719-Scientists-Create-Deus-Ex-Style-Biofuel-Battery

TehAardvark

Apr 4, 2011
Ignorance is bliss I guess DVS BSTrD. Type 1 Diabetes is caused by genetics, not dietary habits and speaking AS a Type 1 Diabetic I sincerely hope this works. I would trust it, I already trust insulin pumps and while this is much more advanced it works on the same principles. This would be a major leap forward and, like it or not, a relief to the health care system. Because of Diabetes my monthly health bill, JUST FOR DIABETES, is $824, now luckily I'm using Tricare so my insurance takes care of all of that. With this you're talking 90-99% reduction in cost per month which makes Diabetes affordable and makes employers willing to actually hire you with the disability.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
poiumty said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
There are already embedded units which are charged externally. The real difference is that the software itself doesn't need assistance adjusting insulin, not that it's completely self-sufficient.
So do they last a lifetime or do they need replacement? Because we haven't taken such a great leap if we still need to do a surgery once in a while to change the batteries.

Wonder when usb ports will be developed that will allow people to charge the devices within themselves. Like, sticking out of the skin or something. That's when the real human revolution will begin.
There's usually (to my understanding) a small, external battery.

They have developed nanomachines that run based on blood suagr, so it'd be interesting if they could one day build a completely self-sustaining machine. Though it could cause lows, possibly, so that could be a problem.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I should tell my Dad about this...this sounds like a bigger breakthrough than islet cell implants. Wonder if it would undo or, lessen the effects of his glaucoma as well...

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
There's usually (to my understanding) a small, external battery.

They have developed nanomachines that run based on blood suagr, so it'd be interesting if they could one day build a completely self-sustaining machine. Though it could cause lows, possibly, so that could be a problem.
There are also battery packs that can be recharged via magnetic field induction. They're not infinitely rechargeable, though, so that's not a possibility yet. (Not to mention the possible effects a magnetic field might have on the electronics.)

No mention of possible benefits to patients with pancreatic cancer. Too bad, I've personally known three people who've passed from it and a lot more people who've lost loved ones.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
What kind of lesson is this for kids? Eat crappy food, grow up to become a cyborg.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the "eat bad foods to much" Diabetes is type 2. Type 1 is what this is made to treat.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
DVS BSTrD said:
What kind of lesson is this for kids? Eat crappy food, grow up to become a cyborg.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the "eat bad foods to much" Diabetes is type 2. Type 1 is what this is made to treat.
This is true, but I seem to recall an article about bad diet increases the risk of type 1, although not by much.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
poiumty said:

I might be talking out of my arse here, but couldn't it get energy from the body it's in?

Or how are pace makers powered? I know nothing here.