Tokyo Jungle Takes the Lead In Japan

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Tokyo Jungle Takes the Lead In Japan

The unique animal survival sim has a "pawesome" performance its first week.

For what's probably the first time, a survival game starring an adorable Pomeranian in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo has beat out games that feature monster hunting, dragon slaying, and gigantic battle mechs with laser beams. Tokyo Jungle, Sony's unique animal survival sim we previewed last week at E3, has topped the charts for the Japanese game market.

Selling over 110,000 copies within it's first week, Tokyo Jungle pushed Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland 3D and Dragon's Dogma out of the top slots, and outranked fellow new comer Gundam Seed Battle Destiny.

While the game is currently out only for Japan, those eager to play as a pint-sized king of the jungle will be happy to know that a Tokyo Jungle will see aE3 preview here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117828-Tokyo-Jungle-Stampeding-Westward]

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/con1g9/media_create_sales/]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I saw a preview for this game a week or two before E3 and was really interested in playing it. The fact that it was called 'Tokyo Jungle' though, mixed with how Japanese it looked (the trailer I saw didn't display much gore) made me assume the west wouldn't see the game...I'm so glad I was wrong and can't wait to give this one a go.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
It's ironic (Bender:That's not ironic it's coincidental), only a week ago I was wondering, "Are there any survival based games?". So I made a thread and it turns out, yes, there are, but not very many, and frequently only from small indie companies. And now this come around a big budget Survival game for a major console release.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Can you only play as a Pomeranian? I think it would be kinda cool to have various animals to pick from that have unique talents, like if you pick a cat you could climb trees to hide from larger predators or to find food.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Looks...interesting.

But it'll probably end up like 'Deadly Creatures'.
-Interesting concept, decent game play, but sells about as well as DNF.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, but I tend to get depressed easily, and I hate bad things happening to small, furry animals like that. Seems like a game where failure would make me cry, and if the game is just a sim of "how long can you make it" failure is going to be inevitable.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Wait, this game is actually selling? I mean, I know I want it, I don't even know anything about the gameplay and I'm willing to put down a preorder right now, but it really seems like the nichiest of niche titles...

Maybe buyers are mistaking it for Nintendogs?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yal said:
Wait, this game is actually selling? I mean, I know I want it, I don't even know anything about the gameplay and I'm willing to put down a preorder right now, but it really seems like the nichiest of niche titles...

Hmmm, well there was a game called "Bad Mojo" that did surprisingly well many years ago, it was a game where you played as a guy turned into a cockroach and had to progress through a house trying to save yourself, solving enviromental puzzles and such. Think "Kefka" I guess.

I'm guessing at it's core the idea here is similar, where you have to use your human intelligence to enable a creature unlikely to survive to do so for as long as possible. If the game involves an actual quest (ie get to your owner or whatever) as opposed to just timed survival, I could very easily see it involving a lot of Bad-Mojo-esque puzzles, albiet from a larger perspective. Puzzle games have always been popular going back to Sierra's "Quest" titles.

Incidently I suspect half the point is that a Pomerranian shouldn't be able to survive without people, I believe they are one of those breeds created specifically to be pets and look pretty, lacking the tools of many other dogs to survive on their own. I know over the years I've read criticisms from animal rights groups about people breeding animals for desirable "pet traits" that aren't able to take care of themselves in the wild if they ever had to. Pomerrenians are probably on that list, I believe my dog's breed (I have a Pug)
is also. That's what makes the idea exciting, and also why there isn't say a list of creatures you could play as someone suggested. Playing say a Lab, Collie, etc... wouldn't create much jeopardy because such a dog could survive fairly well on it's own and would probably get together in a pack with other ownerless dogs of around the same size (and packs of dogs are one of nature's most effective survivors). Likewise cats never really domesticate permanantly as far as I can tell, leave a cat unattended outside in most cases for long enough, and unless it's really old or something chances are it will go feral and will probably take care of itself quite well all on it's own. Cats of all sizes are one of nature's biggest successes from a survival perspective, if an apocolypse happened I'd expect that like some of the larger non-ornamental dog breeds, most house cats would do just fine without people to take care of them.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Jorec said:
Can you only play as a Pomeranian? I think it would be kinda cool to have various animals to pick from that have unique talents, like if you pick a cat you could climb trees to hide from larger predators or to find food.
I believe there's quite a large variety to choose from, they just generally focus on the pomeranian because I think that's one of the main characters in the story quest.

I think T Rex is also an option. I'd have to double check.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Yal said:

I don't know, I think people are just generally interested in something new.

I hadn't heard of this till the escapist covered it at E3, and I've got to saw the idea appeals. Something new is always welcome.

Alternatively, insert some kind of joke about how so far it's only on sale in Japan, and those japanese sure are crazy.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
A game like that...shouldn't be selling that well LOL. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that it is and I'll be picking it up whenever it comes to the west. But...holy crap it's actually selling well *pets*

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I expected nothing else from a game that let you play as a housecat or a T-Rex.

Mcoffey said:
Awwww it always makes me sad when creative, interesting and apparently good games are exclusive to consoles I don't own.
I don't have a PS3 either and I agree. However, it makes me even sadder when creative, interesting and apparently good games don't sell because people are too busy playing Shooty Guys 12: This Time It's Russians (Again). So at least I'm happy those who can buy this game are.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
WaysideMaze said:
Jorec said:
I believe there's quite a large variety to choose from, they just generally focus on the pomeranian because I think that's one of the main characters in the story quest.

I think they'll let you play most if not all of the animals available (plus more with DLC) of which forum posts indicate there being roughly 50 types plus variants, including a rough and tumble gang of baby chicks who roam the streets searching for any would be intruders, who are then beaten to death pikmin style.

of course, you only start with a couple types, and then work your way up through unlocking

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
It's ironic(Bender:That's not ironic it's coincidental), only a week ago I was wondering, "Are there any survival based games?". So I made a thread and it turns out, yes, there are, but not very many, and frequently only from small indie companies. And now this come around a big budget Survival game for a major console release.
There's lots of big budget survival games, a whole series exists for the PS2, though only the first two were ever localized for the West as Disaster Report and Raw Danger! Both covers for the US release actually look way too much like shovelware.

Then there's the Lost in Blue series on the DS about being trapped on and trying to survive on an abandoned island.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
weirdguy said:
WaysideMaze said:
Jorec said:

I think they'll let you play most if not all of the animals available (plus more with DLC) of which forum posts indicate there being roughly 50 types plus variants, including a rough and tumble gang of baby chicks who roam the streets searching for any would be intruders, who are then beaten to death pikmin style.

of course, you only start with a couple types, and then work your way up through unlocking
Rough and tumble baby chicks? That sounds both adorable and awesome. Oh please let this be localized before next year.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
The game really does sound good. Too bad it's a PS3 exclusive.