Shigeru Miyamoto Wants to Make an FPS

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Shigeru Miyamoto Wants to Make an FPS

The brain behind Mario would make a shooter, if only he had time.

Shigeru Miyamoto, arguably the most recognizable man at Nintendo, has created a lot of franchises over the years. Series like Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Pikmin may not appear to have that much in common, but all of Miyamoto's games so far have placed the player hovering somewhere above, behind, or beside the protagonist. Now, the legendary designer wants to move the players themselves to the focal point of the action by using his expertise to craft a first-person shooter. As things stand, though, Miyamoto just doesn't have the time it would take to invest in a new project.

Although Miyamoto's theoretical project would involve a first-person perspective and guns, it wouldn't necessarily be his answer to Call of Duty. "Rather than necessarily the question of 'What kind of weapon do I have?' ... I think that the structure of a first-person shooter is something that's very interesting," he says. "Having that 3D space that in theory you are in and being able to look around and explore that-particularly being able to do that in conjunction with another person-is very interesting." Especially now that Nintendo has confirmed support for two gamepads on the Wii U somewhere down the line, Miyamoto believes that he could leverage this technology for an immersive, cooperative experience.

In spite of his enthusiasm, Miyamoto's shooter will not be hitting shelves anytime soon. "I actually do kind of want to make a first-person shooter, but I don't have time," he explains. Given the impending launch of the Wii U, Miyamoto definitely has a lot of work to do in the coming months, but perhaps he'll have time to start a new project once the excitement surrounding the new console has died down. An exploration-based, cooperative FPS from the man who made Mario could be just the shot in the arm that the over-saturated FPS genre needs.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5918095/the-creator-of-mario-and-zelda-wants-to-make-a-first+person-shooter]

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
This is hilarious. I wonder what all the Nintendo fanboys who say "Yeah, Nintendo is awesome, they're not making a bunch of DUMB FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" are thinking right now.

Hey Moviebob! See this here?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
That's all Nintendo need's. A first person shooter franchise that they can make and nothing else. At least we'd be garenteed it be colorful instead of military shooters.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IMAGINE a FPS where it's using actual COLOR and not about killing the 'ethnic baddie of the week'.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
JPH330 said:
This is hilarious. I wonder what all the Nintendo fanboys who say "Yeah, Nintendo is awesome, they're not making a bunch of DUMB FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" are thinking right now.

Did you even read the story? It sounds like he is more interested in the exploration aspect of what fps games used to be instead of the set pieces they mostly are now.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
OLOLOLOLLLOLOOLOL--

No, wait! What am I doing?! Actually, if anyone can make an interesting and promising FPS, it's Miyamoto! DEAR MOTHER OF NEPTUNE!

Look, I've this a thousand times. I love my PS3. But I'm witness of what Shigeru can do. Mario and Zelda and stuff might be kind of the same over and over again. But hey, at least they're colorful, fun and interesting. Now, imagine a colorful, fun an interesting FPS as opposed to a generic FPS that looks brown/grey and it's the same thing over and over again (Chest high walls, kill whatever moves, rail shooters, etc.)

I like that, Mr. Miyamoto. FPS should be equally about shooting stuff and being aware of your surroundings. If you're in the middle of the desert with a gun and you know there are rapist murderers somewhere out there, you bet you're gonna try and be aware of your surroundings instead of running around shooting stuff hoping it kills someone.

Although this is just an idea at this point, it sucks that it would probably be released for the WiiU only. Because I'm not getting that. At all.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:

Did you even read the story? It sounds like he is more interested in the exploration aspect of what fps games used to be instead of the set pieces they mostly are now.
Still won't work for all the Nintendo fans who say first person shooters are inherently bad.

Hint: MovieBob.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:

Still won't work for all the Nintendo fans who say first person shooters are inherently bad.

You do realize he never said that, right?

Jan 27, 2011
An FPS made by Miyamoto?

I'm sold. The man is a visionary. He made so many amazing games. I'm sure he can make a shooter that defies the standard and is totally awesome.

Oh and cue MovieBob going "NOOOOO WHY MIYAMOTO WHYYYYY". -_- I do not understand why he loathed FPSs so damn much. I mean, I watched his episode about it a long while ago and I sort of understood it, kinda? But still, I don't get it. Especially not his halo hate. It's the smash bros of shooters, with crazy high gravity jumps, colorful explosions, mass chaos and A GUN THAT SHOOTS PURPLE NEEDLES THAT MAKE THE ENEMY SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST INTO A GLORIOUS PURPLE CLOUD. How is that NOT awesome?!

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:

Yes, he did. [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-42-worst-person%E2%80%9D]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Worgen said:
He probably doesn't realize that. And that's what makes it hilarious.

Anyway, it seems like Miyamoto wants to try and explore the old-school type of FPS's like Doom, Duke Nukem, and Wolfenstein i.e. more exploration-based instead of just linear set pieces. I'd also wonder just what he'd do with the second screen on the Wii U pad.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I just blow past these articles at this point.

These days, Miyamoto can take a large shit in a jar and it would still make him several billion dollars a year, so at this point the man can do whatever the fuck he wants.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Pfft, what's everyone complaining about? If it's bad, it's bad; don't buy it. If it's good then, well, buy it.

Shigeru Miyamoto wants to make a FPS?
Let the crazy bastard make a FPS!

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:

Yes, he did. [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-42-worst-person%E2%80%9D]
I've watched that. He was saying that the genre has things holding it back from the get-go, not that there are all inherently bad, and his points were pretty valid. It can be very hard to get your bearings in a first person shooter for a whole lot of people, which is likely because you do not have the many senses that people normally have to use to your advantage. And he did mention first person shooters he liked, though I suppose that may have been a different episode where he mentioned that he really liked Bioshock.

Your exaggeration does not amuse me.

Apr 28, 2008
Heh, I'd like to see that, actually.

Seriously. I'd really like to see what he'd do with an FPS.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
First I hear the Wii U will support Free to Play games, now Miyamoto wants to make an FPS. The Wii U just gets more and more appealing as the days go by.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Revnak said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:
Worgen said:
JPH330 said:

I've watched that. He was saying that the genre has things holding it back from the get-go, not that there are all inherently bad, and his points were pretty valid. It can be very hard to get your bearings in a first person shooter for a whole lot of people, which is likely because you do not have the many senses that people normally have to use to your advantage. And he did mention first person shooters he liked, though I suppose that may have been a different episode where he mentioned that he really liked Bioshock.

Your exaggeration does not amuse me.
Yeah right off the start he says he doesn't hate FPS, they're just low on his list of preferred game genre's. I'm pretty much the same, I had great fun with Doom 2 back in the day, and thought it was a huge innovation when Quake 2 mapped aiming to mouse control, but after that with a few exceptions staring over a gun sight and point & clicking at moving objects just gets repetitive for me.

Anyways, I'd always be interested in seeing what Miyamoto can come up with but I've always considered Metroid Prime to be Nintendo's FPS. It's one of those 'rare exceptions' for me and the original is one of my personal top 5 games of the past decade. I'd imagine anything Miyamoto would come up with would be more along the lines of Metroid Prime than Call of Duty, so I'd be all for it.