Zelda-Loving Dads Turn Nursery Into Hyrule

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Zelda-Loving Dads Turn Nursery Into Hyrule

This is a bedroom worthy of the Wind Waker himself.

These days, more and more young fathers come from the generation that was raised on the classic videogames of yesteryear - generation NES and beyond. Understandably, these videogame-loving dads want to share with their daughters and sons the love for fantastic worlds of pixels and polygons that they themselves had in their youth. But few gaming dads go about it in a fashion as awesome as Cole Bradburn.

"As soon as I found out we were having a boy I knew I wanted his room to inspire adventure, creativity, and exploration," wrote Bradburn on his blog [http://colebradburn.com/2012/06/18/zeldanursery/]. "When I was a boy, the Legend of Zelda series embodied those values for me, and the beautiful cel-shaded art style from Wind Waker/Spirit Tracks seemed to be the perfect fit for a young hero's room."

So, Bradburn enlisted his friend Wes Swain - who had proven his Nintendo chops with an adorable Yoshi's Island nursery and baby mobile for his daughter [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUfmymXNfqA] - to work some Zelda magic on the room that would be the boy's nursery when he was born. All of the art was hand-drawn on the walls, and you can see it as a work in progress at the end of the video.

The end result is spectacular and more than a little heartwarming. "In truth, I wanted to grow up in this room. I will enjoy it as much as my son will, maybe even more," wrote Bradburn. "I can't wait to rock him to sleep, telling him stories of heroes and adventure while looking at these walls."

Frankly, I can't imagine a better news post to be writing the day after Father's Day.

Source: Destructoid [http://colebradburn.com/2012/06/18/zeldanursery/]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That made me smile and is the best thing I've seen today.

I seriously wish my room was that awesome when I was growing up, lucky kid.

Wesley Swain

Mar 14, 2011
Awesome article John! I really appreciate the kind words! :D I hope other people enjoy a much as I did to help create it!

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Now all that child needs is a fairy alarm clock to wake him up for each day's adventure.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow that is some dedication.
Why do I get a feeling that some people will complain for not using the other games like Link to the Past or Twilight Princess etc for his child wall?
It would be ironic if his son grow up being sick of that franchise but honestly I think he will set his son right as Link is a fine role model to follow.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I envy this kid, I really do. I'd love to grow up in this room. <3

Great father, and truly great work.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Oh that is so adorable! Both dads did a fantastic putting that nursery together, and I hope the baby has fun in it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Oh... My... God...

He's officially one of the best geek parents I've ever seen, if not the best. I so envy that kid >.>'

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
That is a seriously epic win for that kid. Best dad ever. I wish my Dad had done something like that for me, but then again, he was the kind to play Doom and Wing Commander; not exactly inspiring source material for a little girl's room. >.>

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Well I'm jealous.

I will nitpick about the master swords hilt being a little too short but that's just to help me get over my complete envy.

Skarlette said:
That is a seriously epic win for that kid. Best dad ever. I wish my Dad had done something like that for me, but then again, he was the kind to play Doom and Wing Commander; not exactly inspiring source material for a little girl's room. >.>
Upon reading this I saw in my mind a double chainsaw ripping into a demon on my wall... and a blue key in the distance. If my walls weren't already covered I'd probably have to paint this weekend.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Thanks Dad...All you gave me was a boring white. ...Wait a second, I totally will have a Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger room in my house!

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
And this years Father of the Year award goes to....

..*drumroll*..

...Cole Bradburn!

*applause*

Sep 14, 2009
holy shit that is awesome, gah, that is some dedication..

not to mention, saw his yoshi one, dear god, that lullaby box was so frickin awesome, I wish I kenw what i was doing with stuff like that :/

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Oh God... everything is epic, but then the end came. The last song, Orchestra Gerudo Valley. My favorite song of all times. Epicness^5

The best dad ever!
I wish my dad did something like this for me. But with him constantly working... :(