EA Thinks Cross-Platform Is The Future

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
EA Thinks Cross-Platform Is The Future

EA is spending $250 million on a new development strategy.

EA Chief Operations Officer Peter Moore has admitted that the time has come for the company to embrace cross-platform play. EA is spending $250 million over the next four years so that FIFA players - among many others - can interact with the game via social networks, mobile devices and consoles. Bored while waiting for a train or plane? Fiddle with your avatar's loadout via your mobile phone. Want to make a strategy change or trade out a forward on your footie team, but you're at work? The cloud will save any alterations you care to make via Facebook.

As Moore describes it, this conversion is less the result of mature and thoughtful consideration than it is a realization that the world as EA knows it is crumbling. "We recognized that we are standing on a burning platform," he told Gamasutra, "it's an oil rig in the middle of the sea, and it's exploding. You can stay or you can hold our noses and jump. At least that way, you have a shot." EA can't wait for the next console generation. It either moves now, or gets annihilated.

At least he's enthusiastic for the digital transformation. As Moore sees it, this is a natural progression for gaming and for EA. The company's mission is about bringing people together through play, and he believes cross-platform is going to be the way that future games bring players together, through the devices and networks that they've become used to. "We think that the future of gaming is cross-platform play," he says, "always having something with you that's a gaming device, but everything you do connects."

Of course, there's a catch. This 24-hour play means that the customer can spend money whenever they want on whatever they want, and to EA that translates as a microtransaction bonanza. When you can connect via your mobile phone, it makes it that much more tempting to make a quick purchase - so those who already know that they have a penchant for drunk texting had better beware, lest a trip to the pub cost a fortune in tiny, tiny bites. Even Moore himself admits he spends way too much money on beating the leaderboard of his favourite games through performace-accelerating add-ons. He sees this tendency as a boon for the company's bottom line, and it surely is. Whether the customer is as savvy in this brave new world as EA is, remains to be seen.

Source: Gamasutra [http://gamasutra.com/view/news/172494/EAs_Moore_gets_to_grips_with_the_digital_transformation.php]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Inb4 EA hate

Anywho, the only thing I'd really use this for is to screw with my BF3 load out over my iPhone so I can experiment next time I play.

Or my Mass Effect 3 classes.....

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
If done right it's a concept that can add quite a lot, and I can certainly think of games where the minor tweaking can easily be ported to facebook / apps / whatnot.

However: (and this is in no way a specific flaming of EA, merely an acceptance of how they work) I'd venture that many of these innovations are best not done by corporate publishers. Pushing the boundaries on how much you can monetize it is best done after the core concept is solidified.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
general dislike for micro-transactions aside, this is a great concept. Sure it looks all very gimicky but this kind of thing means that we don't have to have a bunch of separate lives when it comes to gaming.

It's also a fantastic time waster :p

Captcha: lunatic fridge
pffffffffffff---

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This just in, ea says something that was being said 10 years ago, new record for speed from ea.

Edit: guess I should have read the story before commenting on the title, sounded like they were saying games should be on more than one platform. He isn't wrong but its not something microsoft will allow.... actually considering you might be able to play xbox games on pc with windows 8 they might be planning for that, although I see them doing it as stupid as they do anything with pc gaming.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Mumorpuger said:
I think this is a good idea. Heck, I'd like more PC to Xbox play, myself.
HA...that didnt go very well the last time they tried...needless to say, Microsoft pulled the plug on the game, before the PC players raped the Xbox ones even more. Microsoft didnt wanna be responsible for seppuku of multiple console gamers....BUT, for singleplayer games....i see no problem. just leave net code n multiplayer out of it...DOESNT WORK WELL. AT ALL.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
draythefingerless said:
Mumorpuger said:
HA...that didnt go very well the last time they tried...needless to say, Microsoft pulled the plug on the game, before the PC players raped the Xbox ones even more. Microsoft didnt wanna be responsible for seppuku of multiple console gamers....BUT, for singleplayer games....i see no problem. just leave net code n multiplayer out of it...DOESNT WORK WELL. AT ALL.
The first attempts at making a working airplane failed as well, but giving up and not attempting to make it work, and work well, was not the solution.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Mumorpuger said:
draythefingerless said:
Mumorpuger said:
The first attempts at making a working airplane failed as well, but giving up and not attempting to make it work, and work well, was not the solution.
Well i should of explained to you why it didnt work. As cute as your philosophical ideal is, it doesnt make it an absolute truth. PC gamers are superior to console ones. its ....basically a fact. they use mouse and keyboard. you simply have better equipment on a computer than a console. Therefore, when they came out with the cross platform FPS...console players were butchered. every single time. It wasnt a problem of the net code, or the hardware...its just how things work. and they couldnt handicap pc players, because if they wanted to play FPS with a controller, theyd play it on a console. Its also a stupid solution, to handicap one side, because the other one has inferior hardware. Now like i said, for non PVP gameplay, THATS FINE. hell, Coop is ok(despite there gonna be balance issues for sure in some games). Just as long as you dont make PC players fight the other ones. otherwise, lot of crying will happen.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
draythefingerless said:
Mumorpuger said:
draythefingerless said:
Mumorpuger said:
Well i should of explained to you why it didnt work. As cute as your philosophical ideal is, it doesnt make it an absolute truth. PC gamers are superior to console ones. its ....basically a fact. they use mouse and keyboard. you simply have better equipment on a computer than a console. Therefore, when they came out with the cross platform FPS...console players were butchered. every single time. It wasnt a problem of the net code, or the hardware...its just how things work. and they couldnt handicap pc players, because if they wanted to play FPS with a controller, theyd play it on a console. Its also a stupid solution, to handicap one side, because the other one has inferior hardware. Now like i said, for non PVP gameplay, THATS FINE. hell, Coop is ok(despite there gonna be balance issues for sure in some games). Just as long as you dont make PC players fight the other ones. otherwise, lot of crying will happen.
Generally everything I do is cute. Anyhow, I still believe it can be done. I like to think that the folks making the decisions believe the same thing though rather than throw their hands up in the air and give up because of one example. As a member of the glorious PC-gamer master race, even I think that that "its just how things work [sic]" shouldn't be the reason cited in why steps shouldn't be taken to finding a viable solution to the problem. I think the simplest solution would be to support a mouse and keyboard combo with consoles. The fact that the Xbox doesn't have some sort of official setup baffles me.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Mumorpuger said:
draythefingerless said:
Mumorpuger said:
draythefingerless said:
Mumorpuger said:
Generally everything I do is cute. Anyhow, I still believe it can be done. I like to think that the folks making the decisions believe the same thing though rather than throw their hands up in the air and give up because of one example. As a member of the glorious PC-gamer master race, even I think that that "its just how things work [sic]" shouldn't be the reason cited in why steps shouldn't be taken to finding a viable solution to the problem. I think the simplest solution would be to support a mouse and keyboard combo with consoles. The fact that the Xbox doesn't have some sort of official setup baffles me.
It goes against the concept of the console. consoles are confy game bringers. no one is gona buy a console and then buy keyboard n mouse for it.:/ its simply how it is. it baffles you, but the big majority of people dont WANT that setup, they wont BUY that setup, so there is no impulse to make such a setup for consoles. there are many games n gametypes thou, there are lots of things to be done cross platforming. just not this...

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Wait... They're wasting 250 million on social networking?

No wonder they want Dead Space 3 to sell 5 million units, they probably already spent the money they believe they'd make.

Jan 22, 2011
I actually really like this idea despite EA doing it. We have the technology to do however the main problem is getting enough money to get it off the ground.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
If you have so much free time in your day that you are gonna want to screw around with your BF3 loadout, there is something wrong with you. It's just poor use of time. Even as a gamer, I keep my gaming where it belongs. Which is firmly behind reading books, listening to music, being in contact with friends and family, stuff like that. But, no doubt this concept will be an ace with many gamers.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So they're spending 250 million on... what, exactly?
Planning stuff? Does every manager have like a 1.7 million dollar salary or something? I just can't see why this should cost anywhere near that amount.