Mirror's Edge DLC, PC Version Coming Soon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mirror's Edge DLC, PC Version Coming Soon

Fans of the first-person action game DICE [http://www.mirrorsedge.com/] announced today, adding that the ship date for the PC version of the game has also been finalized.

The DLC will feature nine races across seven all-new Time Trial maps that eschew guns, police and the city at large in favor of "true aesthetics, agility and flow that will challenge any runner." The Time Trial mode of Mirror's Edge challenges players to find the fast way across maps, featuring downloadable leaderboards for online competition that includes "ghost" runners representing players who have achieved the best times across a map.

"The freedom of movement and control in first person has been the most popular aspect of Mirror's Edge so we decided to distill these down to their purest form for this map pack," said DICE Senior Producer Owen O'Brien. "We deliberately chose a more abstract aesthetic that is still within our distinctive art style and then focused on flow and gameplay to create an experience and challenge very different from the main game."

Released in November, Mirror's Edge earned kudos for its unique approach to first-person action, with brightly-lit environments, a high degree of freedom of movement, significant body awareness and the complete elimination of a HUD. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, response to the game has been generally positive but not overwhelmingly so; one critic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/457-Mirrors-Edge] of questionable repute praised the game's experimental nature as well as the fact that it's one of the few original IPs to be released this year, but nonetheless referred to it as an "eight-hour fecal waterslide" in his final analysis.

The PC version of Mirror's Edge will ship to North American retailers on January 13, and go out worldwide on January 16. The DLC pack for the Xbox 360 [http://www.playstation.com], meanwhile, will be available in late January for 800 Microsoft Points or $10, with a free bonus map available to owners of the PS3 version of the game.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
DLC is becoming almost an obligation these days.

What makes me curious though is why they decided to deliberately favor PS3 owners with a bonus map. Any special reason or just to cause rage among fanboys? ^^

Jul 9, 2008
calelogan said:

What makes me curious though is why they decided to deliberately favor PS3 owners with a bonus map. Any special reason or just to cause rage among fanboys? ^^
Um...I didn't see it say anywhere that it's just for the PS3.

Nov 28, 2007
orannis62 said:
calelogan said:

Um...I didn't see it say anywhere that it's just for the PS3.

Malygris said:
The PC version of Mirror's Edge will ship to North American retailers on January 13, and go out worldwide on January 16. The DLC pack for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, meanwhile, will be available in late January for 800 Microsoft Points or $10, with a free bonus map available to owners of the PS3 version of the game.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
The real question is: what kind of oppressive DRM will the PC version have?

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
calelogan said:

Mirror's Edge once upon a time was a PS3 exclusive.

I do have a question though, why is the PC version coming out later? Then again I don't think anyone wants to buy PC games from EA anymore.

Battlefrank

Jun 16, 2008
Miral said:
I would never have turned into am internet troll if DRM hadn't driven me off of PC gaming!

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Miral said:
I hear they're implementing a new peripheral that scans the bottom of your foot.

That's a joke, just in case anyone thought that was serious.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I almost feel obligated to buy this for PC just because I don't want to hear piracy complaints. Then I realized that I own L4D and other successful games so I don't really give a shit.

I don't care if Mirror's Edge supports PhysX, I probably won't buy it. Unless it's REALLY dry in '09, but with Dawn of War 2 I think I'll spend my $50 on something else.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'd like to give it a try, but not at full pop. I'll wait until it drops closer to the $25-30 mark and then snag it, assuming I'm somewhere near caught up on my gaming by then.

(Not likely.)

clarinetJWD

Jul 9, 2008
Now up on Steam! I bought it as soon as it popped up, can't wait to try it out

Edit: And in case you didn't know, the steam version has no SecuRom. Steam itself is the only DRM.