E.U. Trade Committee Rejects Controversial ACTA Bill

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
E.U. Trade Committee Rejects Controversial ACTA Bill

The much-reviled copyright treaty isn't likely to pass in the European Union.

The their outright rejection [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement] of the bill.

Earlier this week, the European Trade Committee, a branch of the E.U. designed to formally advise the Parliament and other branches on the legality and suitability of international trade agreements, voted against ACTA by 19 votes to 12.

While this isn't a complete rejection of the legislation - its final fate will be decided by the European Parliament in July - analysts postulate that the influence of the Trade Committee is so great that the Parliament is highly unlikely to go against its advice.

British MEP (Member of the European Parliament) David Martin led the Committee during this decision. "This was not an anti-intellectual property vote. This group believes Europe does have to protect its intellectual property but ACTA was too vague a document," he said.

"In the end it came down to vote on intellectual property or civil liberties and I'm glad that civil liberties won over," added Martin.

Peter Bradwell, a campaigner from civil liberties organization the Open Rights Group, was even more pleased. "MEPs have listened to the many, many thousands of people across Europe who have consistently demanded that this flawed treaty is kicked out," he said. "This is the fifth consecutive committee to say ACTA should be rejected. It now falls to the vote of the whole European Parliament in early July to slam the door on ACTA once and for all, and bring this sorry mess to an end."

While voices from various media industries continue to ask that the Parliament wait for an official ruling from the Court of Justice of the European Union before making its decision, it remains unlikely that Europe's governing body will go against the advice of the Trade Committee. It's worth keeping in mind too that while the E.U. looks set to reject the treaty, other signatories - including the U.S. and Japan - may still move forward with it.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18533268]

Image: European Union [http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-information/symbols/flag/index_en.htm]

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Hmm my common sense meeter made a beep. I'm quite amazed at it's range considering it's batteries should be long dead.

Well it's not dead yet, it's being lead to the noose though.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Tiger Sora said:
Hmm my common sense meeter made a beep. I'm quite amazed at it's range considering it's batteries should be long dead.

Seems to be kicking and screaming though. Better plug some buckshot into it to lower its resistance.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
"It's worth keeping in mind too that while the E.U. looks set to reject the treaty, other signatories - including the U.S. and Japan - may still move forward with it."

well this sucks. our government rejected SOPA but we might still get this piece of garbage? Not if the american people have anything to say about it.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I knew this shit wouldn't fly in Europe. Now let's see how the "land of the free" goes about this.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
We're not out of it yet. I'll celebrate when the thing is checked in to the filing cabinet that catalogues rejections.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
wait... i was under the impression that the uk government would be salivating over this bill. oh right good publicity.

Calling it now, this bill will go through, and that Europe's governing body will back it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Thank fucking Atheismo, I was pretty scared there for a moment. W00t, victory!! I remember attending that protest, it was pretty fun.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
mattttherman3 said:
Yeah well, the EU has more important things to worry about then piracy at the moment...
So does America but Congress really enjoys not giving a shit.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
Yeah well, the EU has more important things to worry about then piracy at the moment...
Neo-Nazism/Soviet Communism in Greece? Nah, people downloading shit off the internet for free might end all life as we know it.

Top Gear Top Tip: When you pirate mp3s, you're downloading Communism

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
So the system can work on occasion, who knew?

Seriously, this is a great thing. I just wish it hadn't taken so long for the govt. officials to realize that a person's right to PRIVACY is kinda more important than PIRACY. In any case: Hallelujah!

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
SageRuffin said:
Tiger Sora said:

Seems to be kicking and screaming though. Better plug some buckshot into it to lower its resistance.
Aim for the head! we don't want it coming back as a zombie to bite us in the ass down the line

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylvUGJIi_w

I cannot get the YouTube link to embed at all. :( I fail at embedding.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
ThunderCavalier said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylvUGJIi_w

I cannot get the YouTube link to embed at all. :( I fail at embedding.
Embedding youtube videos works like this: [yooutube="everything after the = ie 'TylvUGJIi_w' and then close it with a ].
In your case [yooutube=TylvUGJIi_w] but without misspelling youtube

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Excellent news. It's a shame our cocksucker of a PM will go through with it, though.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Hevva said:
Your avatar is super cute <3

OT: There's been a lot of copyright and intellectual property arguments of late. I have to wonder if this is due to an increased number of cases, or an increased number of news articles reporting on them.