38 Studios Founder is "All Tapped Out"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
38 Studios Founder is "All Tapped Out"

Former Red Sox ace Curt Schilling says the fortune he earned playing baseball is "probably all gone."

A lot of people have been hurt by the collapse of Kingdoms of Amalur developer 38 Studios, not least of whom is Curt Schilling, who founded the studio in 2006. Schilling had amassed considerable wealth over a long and very successful career in Major League Baseball [http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=121811], but told WEEI Radio that he had personally sunk more than $50 million into the company, and now he's "all tapped out."

"I put everything in my name in this company," Schilling said, "I believed in it. I believed in what we built. I never took a penny in salary. I never took a penny for anything."

He also acknowledged that 38 Studios employees were "blindsided," despite promises that they'd be kept informed and aware of any problems. "They have every right to be upset. I always told everybody if something were going to happen, you're going to have a month or two of lead time, and I bombed on that one in epic fashion," he said.

And he continued to insist that the studio's survival was sabotaged by Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee, who before being elected Governor was a vocal opponent of the $75 million loan guarantee that brought 38 Studios to the state in the first place. Schilling claimed that the studio was about to sign a $35 million deal with a major publisher for a sequel to its first and only game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning [http://www.amazon.com/Kingdoms-Amalur-Reckoning-Xbox-360/dp/B0044SA70M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340381362&sr=8-1&keywords=Kingdoms+of+Amalur], but the publisher backed out when Chafee made a public statement about the studio's precarious financial situation. Prior to that, there had been no indication of trouble.

Compounding Schilling's problems is a lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117914-Rhode-Island-Bank-Sues-Curt-Schilling] filed by Citizens Bank claiming that he personally guaranteed $2.4 million in loans and credit, and the possibility of other lawsuits on the horizon. That sounds like a relatively paltry sum for a guy who made over $100 million in his career, but Schilling said he told his family last month that the money he made from baseball "was probably all gone," adding, "Life is going to be different."

Source: Boston.com [http://www.boston.com/businessupdates/2012/06/22/curt-schilling-tells-weei-radio-show-that-invested-more-than-his-video-game-firm/v7VtA4ZDu2zdyH2OhS7eaK/story.html?p1=News_links]

(photo [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SchillingNew.JPG])

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
And this is what happens when you try to compete with WoW...

In all seriousness I'm very sorry about the loss of a studio who seemed like they wanted to actually use new IPs.

Sir Ryan Ward

Pontificator
Jan 29, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
That's what you get for leaving Boston.
Yep, shoulda stayed in Maynard. I love how, less than a year after 38 went south, the city of Boston launched a massive incentives campaign to grow the game industry in the area.

Sucks for everyone involved, including Curt. He was a true believer.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The Governor really does look like an ass in all this. Still, I just can't make myself feel sorry for 38 Studios; they green lit development of a MMO, 90% of the time that's a very bad move.

I haven't seen a new IP I wanted to succeed so bad since Fable.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Sir Ryan Ward said:
DVS BSTrD said:
That's what you get for leaving Boston.
Yep, shoulda stayed in Maynard. I love how, less than a year after 38 went south, the city of Boston launched a massive incentives campaign to grow the game industry in the area.

Sucks for everyone involved, including Curt. He was a true believer.
Faith without Reason is madness. Like his business plan.
Yes, this. Absolutely.

It was madness for a brand new company to develop a large-scale MMO for a brand-new IP without any outside assistance while simultaneously developing a large-scale RPG, especially given that they put the majority of their money into the MMO.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
I wonder if he could sue the governor, if the guy made statements about the company's fiscal potential that weren't true.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
It's a shame, I absolutely love Amalur. The little stories behind the quests and locations combined with an interesting combat system make the game extremely fun to play. It's a shame we won't be seeing that sequel. Stupid governor. : (

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
What more can really be said? It really sucks that 38 Studios went kaput, and I'm sorry to hear this guy gambled big and lost it all. If what he says about the governor are true then it's a real dick move the he seems to have actively worked to financially sabotage the studio when they were at their weakest. We just can't know for sure, were they really in talks with a big publisher (probably EA since they published the first) to make a sequel, or is he just saying that after the fact to shift blame from himself to the governor?

Regardless when I think of that governor it still chaps my ass when he says the game sold poorly, when it was clear he doesn't know the first thing about what poor sales for a game would be. My rage tells me to blame the easy politician target, but reason tells me an ignorant politician was probably just the killing blow in a series of others.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Wow, that must suck really bad for him. But that's what you get for taking out loans you can't pay. At least he isn't being a dick about it.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Did anyone else read that little black-bolded subtitle thing as "Sex Rod"? the fuck is wrong with me?

Poor guy, I would have liked to have seen more from him

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
I don't understand the flack directed towards the governor. I'd be getting antsy if I was flushing money down an MMO toilet, too. 38 Studios had no hope in Hell of making enough money back to ever recoup costs, let alone finance Curt's wild dreams. They spent way too much, made too little and aimed too high.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Did anyone else read that little black-bolded subtitle thing as "Sex Rod"? the fuck is wrong with me?
Dickslexia? It's like dyslexia, except Freudian.

OT: Ouch. Poor guy. I hope he ends up in the black.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
The whole situation is a colossal clusterfuck. Its really sad to watch this go down. I have little doubt that the Governor had a big role in all of this, but at the same time Schilling really overreached by a good margin with the MMO thing - he really needed wait till 38 Studios was better established. Combine the two and you get this.

I can at least give the man some credit for admitting that he did wrong by his employees.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I don't think he made wise decisions, but he tried to do something he was passionate about, and now he's lost a lot of what he's had. I do feel sorry for him

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Dickslexia? It's like dyslexia, except Freudian.

OT: Ouch. Poor guy. I hope he ends up in the black.
Oh, you gais.. :3

But on topic, this is sad stuff. Epitome of 'believing in your dreams against logical odds, and having the shit hit the fan later on'.

*emo stance*