Dragon's Dogma Sets First-Week Sales Record in Japan

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Dragon's Dogma Sets First-Week Sales Record in Japan

Capcom wants to turn its new success into a major franchise.

Capcom's fresh new IP Dragon's Dogma is in good shape. The publisher announced earlier today that the action RPG has shipped over one million units worldwide within the first month of its release, setting a new first-week sales record in Japan for the past decade.

The figures support the company's plan to develop the title into a major franchise. "Dragon's Dogma is part of Capcom's basic strategy of establishing game franchises through the creation of new brands," read the official statement. "This game was developed with the goal of creating another pillar of earnings for Capcom alongside Monster Hunter and Sengoku BASARA". Capcom also has plans to extend the lifespan of Dragon's Dogma and other games in its portfolio through "continuous distribution" of DLC, as well as other initiatives that have yet to be announced.

The news comes as welcome relief in the wake of negative publicity plaguing the company. Capcom's financial results for the previous fiscal year changed their strategy [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-07-resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-sales-top-2-million] for delivering paid content.

These figures are certainly a promising start for the first month of the game's release, but it remains to be seen whether the numbers can reach the lofty goals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116429-Capcom-Thinks-It-can-Sell-10-Million-Copies-of-Dragons-Dogma] set earlier this year by Capcom's producers.

Source: Capcom [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/sp/english/news/html/e120625.html]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I dont see why this cant become at least a small successful franchise, a little bit of tweaking here and there and this could take off. Most devs learn from their mistakes if they have big plans for a franchise, just look at Assassins Creed.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I really think that I need to play this game. Somehow had not even heard of it until it launched, but it sounds like the kind of thing I'd like, so I might get it.

I do hate devs talking about how they are planning to milk a franchise when they have only just released the first game.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So, im assuming expansions or sequels to be announced soon enough...

Zagzag said:
I really think that I need to play this game. Somehow had not evn heard of it until it launched, but it sounds like the kind of thing I'd like, so I might get it.

I do hate devs talking about how they are planning to milk a franchise when they have only just released the first game.
You could compare Dragons Dogma to either Oblivion or Skyrim, except that Capcom did the combat.

Also if Dragons Dogma is going to be aimed down a path similar to Monster Hunter, then im all for Capcom milking it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
wooty said:
I dont see why this cant become at least a small successful franchise, a little bit of tweaking here and there and this could take off.
The publisher announced earlier today that the action RPG has shipped over one million units worldwide within the first month of its release, setting a new first-week sales record in Japan for the past decade.
I think it's off to a good start.

Also, yay! More Dragon's Dogma to come! I've put more hours into this game than Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim combined.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
It's a fun game but I also feel it didn't go far enough into the RPG ness that it showed. It was mostly a linear drudge between checkpoints with little to see in-between. No rare monsters to hunt outside of quests, you never saw let's say a rainbow coloured griphon just flying around on a mountain top whilst trekking towards a greater quest.

If they manage to add that "Living World" vibe to it in the sequel, add a way of fast travel by horse or weird creature and add some more RPG mechanics this will certainly be a franchise I will officially call myself a fan off.

Now how about a PC Monster Hunter game?

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Kinda wish this was on PC. I might be interested, in that case. Though the cutscenes and story looked a little dumb but... whatever.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I love Dragon's Dogma, and I want to see it continue. Though in my heart, I'd like to see a few franchises return like Megaman Legends, and Breath of Fire. Both still have potential for life.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
part of Capcom's basic strategy of establishing game franchises through the creation of new brands,
Darn, I wanted them to use my strategy of establishing game franchises, by releasing blurry versions of old game franchises and hoping the players will just collectively mistake it for a new brand

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
This makes me very happy, I was hoping this would do well enough to earn a sequel so that they could fix all the problems of the first one and I could spend more time in Gransys! :D

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
"Dragon's Dogma is part of Capcom's basic strategy of establishing game franchises through the creation of new brands," read the official statement. "This game was developed with the goal of creating another pillar of earnings for Capcom alongside Monster Hunter and Sengoku BASARA".

So if your games do well you make more of them and if they don't you don't... THATS GENIUS CAPCOM!!!

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
1337mokro said:
It exists.. but as you might guesseed... only in asia.. namely japan, china and taiwan. Wich is a shame since Monster hunter Frontier is every monster hunters wet dream.. staring all the monsters from the very first monster hunter to even some that are exclusive to the PC version.

But capcom says monster hunter doesnt generate enough cash outside of japan despite the fact that the PsP titles did fairly well.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
1337mokro said:
It's a fun game but I also feel it didn't go far enough into the RPG ness that it showed. It was mostly a linear drudge between checkpoints with little to see in-between. No rare monsters to hunt outside of quests, you never saw let's say a rainbow coloured griphon just flying around on a mountain top whilst trekking towards a greater quest.

If they manage to add that "Living World" vibe to it in the sequel, add a way of fast travel by horse or weird creature and add some more RPG mechanics this will certainly be a franchise I will officially call myself a fan off.

No rare monsters? A lot of giant bosses aren't included in the main questline. You ever wonder where the cockatrice runs off to after you fight it in the city? What about that hydra at the start that you meet but you never fight like it was meant to be fought?

1)hydra
2)archhydra
3)wyrm
4)wyvern
5)drake
6)cockatice
7)metal golem
8)UR-dragon

The horse thing, though, i can get behind. You know what would be amazing? If they let you ride the kirin from monster hunter.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
This is good news. I'm glad to hear a sequel has been announced. If Capcom are clever enough to address all the issues with the first game (including scraping those atrocious dlc token collecting quests) they could create a truly superb sequel that might even get some GOTY nominations.

I'd love to see them combine actual online co-op with the Pawn system. It would be great if I could summon a friend and his pawn into my world for some epic battles. I'd obviously throw my friends' pawn of a cliff as soon as I can, but that's all a part of the experience with Dragon's Dogma.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Burst6 said:
No rare monsters? A lot of giant bosses aren't included in the main questline. You ever wonder where the cockatrice runs off to after you fight it in the city? What about that hydra at the start that you meet but you never fight like it was meant to be fought?
Of course there are Rare monsters. But those are never randomly generated. They are always part of quests. What I meant with Rare monsters is catching a glimpse of something golden in the shrubs. Chasing it for miles until you finally run it into a corner. Then you see a majestic golden tusked boar. After a few more minutes you now have a new pair of giant golden tusk ear warmers.

I want the hunt to be an ever present part of the game. Not just a sidequest.

Karadalis said:
It exists.. but as you might guesseed... only in asia.. namely japan, china and taiwan. Wich is a shame since Monster hunter Frontier is every monster hunters wet dream.. staring all the monsters from the very first monster hunter to even some that are exclusive to the PC version.

But capcom says monster hunter doesnt generate enough cash outside of japan despite the fact that the PsP titles did fairly well.
If they released the games on something else other than a portable handheld platform that saw horrible sales and a casual gamer only platform like the Wii, MAYBE. Just MAYBE! If they release it on PC in the west, where there are literally hundreds of thousands of hardcore PC gamers that would literally explode with joy at the idea of a game that rewards careful and meticulous preparation, skill and an understanding of the games mechanic, they might actually see a profit.

But well, maybe if the Dark Souls PC version does well Capcom might pitch an ear.