What Not to Hate About E3

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
They are actually making two XCOM games. 2K Marin makes the stupid shooter, Firaxis makes the turn based strategy game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I agree, X-com (the turn based one) looks pretty cool and as someone who is new to the series I'm willing to give it a try.

You are positive that you can get pissed off at the Wii-U...that's our Yahtzee.

And...wait wait wait? Halo 4 gave you positive feelings? HALO!? You're having positive feelings about a series I actually like....WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH YAHTZEE!?

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
It pisses me off whenever someone cites Heavy Rain as an example of good writing in video games, because, as you said, David Cage really can't write for shit. Still, at least he's pushing new ideas in this stagnant industry, and I may check out Beyond: Two Souls if it's actually a game this time around, rather than a glorified choose-your-own-adventure with button-prompts.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Heh. I also hate demos. In fact, this is why I am saddened by the fall of all the video game rental places. People argue that you don't need to rent a game anymore because there is a demo, but the demo is a best foot forward scenario. The goal of the playable demo is to suck you into a game. It is just more insidious advertising.

Hell, even most games have their best levels early on. They suck people in with this and that and it shows later on that they couldn't be bothered to do anything well half way through.

The whole point of E3 used to be about what is new and exciting in gaming but now there is no point to it. All the trailers are on the internet, all the coverage was on SpikeTV and online. And for what? To show people trailers for games? Big fucking whoop. It was neat 10 years ago when a few games had cinematic trailers but they would still have more gameplay. Now everyone just shows their movie and hopes we buy their shit.

captcha: dead air

yea... that's what E3 blows

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Its funny becuase my favourite thing at e3 was lost planet 3.I just love the new direction to the franchise (Ive never seen a sequel that leans to horror , not away from it ) . Also im suprised that yahtzee never mention Metro LAST LIGHT .It just seems like his kind of thing .
I whould recomend spec ops the line , but I know that my word means nothing .

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
OMG, Yahtzee thought a game was underrated, and it was a game by Free Radical.
*girl squeee*

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Aside from the Halo comment I agree with everything Yahtzee has said. For me Halo is long overdue for a funeral. regardless if this one is on a new storyline it is still Halo, still Xbox only and when M$ pulled it from the PC market I ceased giving a shit about it other than wanting it to die along with many of its other FPS brethren that have long over stayed their welcome.

Oh and I prefer the Viking funerals myself.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't call what the Publishers do at E3 lieing per se as much as I would call it making empty promises. Lots of empty promises.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
That part about KoA: Reckoning having that name as a way to call it "part 1" without actually calling it that is kind of funny now. They tried to avoid tempting fate, but fate came knocking anyway.

And don't you worry Yahtzee, the XCOM FPS is still on the way. There was no u-turn. The FPS has just been pushed back really far and this strategy game has appeared while that other game is... doing whatever it is.

I agree that it's kind of silly Halo is still called Halo. This is something that's kind of annoyed me for a while. The actual Halo rings were only a main part of the plot for the first 2 games, and they don't appear to have even the slightest connection to this new series. It's strange to keep calling it Halo. Maybe they should just cut the Halo name and call it the Reclaimer Trilogy, or whatever it is they're calling this next batch of games. If they must include the Halo name it can be some kind of subtitle.

Dream Drop Distance may be a stupid name but it's far from the worst Kingdom Hearts name. Remember 358/2 Days? I can't even remember the stupid way you're supposed to pronounce that either. I think they only called Dream Drop Distance that because they were going to just call it "Kingdom Hearts 3D", but they decided they wanted to be obtuse to continue tradition.

And that line about the WiiU being a "solution looking for a problem" is rather profound. It nails it perfectly. It fits for so many other supposed "innovations" in entertainment as well.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Does this mean we can expect a Kingdom Hearts review? Because honestly, I want to see Yahtzee rip the whole idiotic lore a new one while making fanboys and way too many creepy fangirls (thank you, internet, for proving that rule 34 kills brain cells) cry and cry some more.

When it comes to the WiiU, I look just as much forward to yahtzee getting angry about it as he does. While I don't believe that the concept is bad (after all, two screens proved to be awesome for the DS), I do know that developers will use this opportunity to develop more shovelware with obligatory touchscreen waggling instead of wiimote waggling.

Now if that isn't innovation :/

Altered Nova

Apr 5, 2012
You know, as much as looking at the Wii U makes me want to shake my head sadly at how pointless it seems, I remember that a lot of people said the same thing about motion controls early on and look how that turned out. Somehow I won't be surprised if we see Microsoft and Sony releasing touchpad controllers for their own systems a few years after launch.

Also, even if it seems misguided, it's nice to see that someone is at least still *trying* to be innovative with their video game consoles. Even if it fails, such experimentation can only help the game market.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
FoolKiller said:
Heh. I also hate demos. In fact, this is why I am saddened by the fall of all the video game rental places. People argue that you don't need to rent a game anymore because there is a demo, but the demo is a best foot forward scenario. The goal of the playable demo is to suck you into a game. It is just more insidious advertising.
While I fully agree that a demo is an attempt by a developer to put their best foot forward, I don't have a big problem with demo's over rentals for two reasons:

1) Demo's are free aside from the internet I'm already paying for.
2) Most demo's suck because there are a lot of terrible games out there. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I played a demo and didn't hate the damn thing, or at the very least not like it enough to even consider buying it at full price. Honestly, if demo's are putting the best foot forward, most of those feet have gangrene. :)

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I wouldn't call what the Publishers do at E3 lieing per se as much as I would call it making empty promises. Lots of empty promises.
At some point repeated empty broken promises just become lies when it happens again and again. For me this is what E3 has now become a pit of all but bold face lies thinly veiled under the guise of a promise by publishers with little to no intention of holding themselves to them.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Balkan said:
Also im suprised that yahtzee never mention Metro LAST LIGHT .It just seems like his kind of thing .
I'm also surprised at the lack of "The Last of Us". Maybe he thinks it will be good but "safe", like his opinion on Uncharted, so he didn't have anything funny to say?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
porpoise hork said:
canadamus_prime said:
At some point repeated empty broken promises just become lies when it happens again and again. For me this is what E3 has now become a pit of all but bold face lies thinly veiled under the guise of a promise by publishers with little to no intention of holding themselves to them.
Isn't that essentially what an empty promise is? A promise that the person making it has no intention of following through on?
In any case it's for this reason that I pay as little attention to E3 as I can.

kazriko

Apr 6, 2009
As far as games that look like sequels go...

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
Resistance: Fall of Man. (I believe there was controversy on what title they would use, so they just put both of them in there.)

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Hey you know what occurred to me? While the Wii U touchscreen seems rather inappropriate for what we might consider traditional console games, it's perfect for running a big TBS game on a home console. There's generally enough information in those games to justify having two sceens, and if it's turn based then having to look between the two screens is no longer a big deal.

Somehow I doubt Nintendo has thought that, but who knows?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Mahoshonen said:
Hey you know what occurred to me? While the Wii U touchscreen seems rather inappropriate for what we might consider traditional console games, it's perfect for running a big TBS game on a home console. There's generally enough information in those games to justify having two sceens, and if it's turn based then having to look between the two screens is no longer a big deal.

Somehow I doubt Nintendo has thought that, but who knows?
Oh, there's all kinds of things they could do with it, one of the big reasons that a lot of people like, say, myself, are skeptical about it is what Nintendo and third-party developers will do with it. Blacking out the screen and telling you to look at the controller is extremely poor design, and functionally no better than just having a pop-up inventory that pauses the normal game. The touchscreen could very well bring strategy games to consoles and actually have them require the kind of complicated micro-managing that PC strategy games need. It could revolutionize how we play horror games, or action-adventure games, or RPG's, maybe even shooters, but the problem is how easy will it be for developers to work with it, and how gimmicky will the implementation of it become.