Angry Birds Dev: Casuals Don't Read Reviews

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Angry Birds Dev: Casuals Don't Read Reviews

Word-of-mouth marketing is more effective than any advertising.

Core gamers attach an inordinate amount of importance to how a game reviews, lashing out at reviewers who liked a game they hated, or bashing reviewers who gave what was obviously a perfect-10 game a dismal 9.3. In all fairness, core game makers do the same, albeit in a different way [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116343-Obsidian-Lost-Bonus-for-Fallout-New-Vegas-by-One-Metacritic-Point]. But according to Angry Birds maker Rovio, a group that doesn't particularly care two whits about review scores is the casual crowd.

At Gamelab in Barcelona, Spain, Rovio's VP of Marketing and Advertising Teemu Huuhtanen said that while positive reviews and marketing could help to give a freshly-launched game some sorely-needed traction, they wouldn't make it popular. "We try to monitor social media, Facebook, Twitter, blogs and even reviews," he said. "I think they are all important, especially in the beginning. But I don't think many casual gamers actually read any blogs or reviews - they hear about games from their friends, mostly."

Word-of-mouth marketing was the most effective way to spread knowledge about a new casual game, said Huuhtanen, though he admitted that it "definitely helps" to get good reviews in order to "gain momentum in the beginning."

It's also much easier for word-of-mouth to influence a purchase when each game can be downloaded for $1 directly on the phone you have with you at all times. If you tell me about this cool new game I can get for $1 on my Droid 3, it's easy to make an impulse purchase. But if I'm going to be dropping $60 on your word, it only makes sense to read reviews before I go in.

Source: GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-27-rovio-casual-gamers-dont-read-reviews]

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
I imagine it helps that popular games like Angry Birds were already popular flash games before the coat of paint.

I suppose even in 'core gaming' we underestimate how many people don't keep up with the online blogs/articles/reviews/etc we do. Still, I'd be willing to be a little more loose with my cash if games weren't generally so expensive.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
I think this is just a way for Rovio to somehow validate their place in the market by saying all these people that gave us these high scores on Metacritic and all the positive reviews aren't casual players.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Makes sense to me. Word of mouth is generally something that's always going to work, for better or for worse, whereas professional reviews really do only reach a specific group. Amongst those that are in the know, professional reviews can certainly fuel word of mouth but that, once again, isn't always guaranteeing anything positive.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Mark D. Stroyer said:
Also, if the developer really doesn't care about reviews, what does that say about their product?
Dunno about the product, but it says they won't get fired if it doesn't break 90% on metacritic

vengerofthelight

Mar 21, 2012
As a "core" gamer of the last two decades who has never given 2 whiffs about reviews (except Zero Punctuation; very entertaining, and I've even taken him up on a few recommendations, but I also love plenty of games Yahtzee hates :p ), I can definitely see where word-of-mouth is seen as very valuable. However, generally speaking the most valuable marketing done for a game is done before release; it's called "hype," and it's not only the most garbage-filled marketing (in general), but enough of it can typically guarantee enough opening sales to make even a mediocre game "look" good based on sales, giving the marketing department another headline to use in further advertisement after launch.

Just... ew. This is why I almost never buy a game unless it's been out for at least a week. In that span of time, some friend of mine (read: sucker) has already bought it and I can try before buying. Or, if nothing else, I can rent the game (if it's a console game, of course). Does that mean I typically pay $10 more than people who just bought the game? Yes, but it also means that I -only- buy games I know I'm going to like, and have exactly zero games sitting around that I don't even like. I -love- having a library of games to rotate through as my fancy changes.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I agree, especially with that last part.

Had I not read reviews I woulda ended up with Lollipop Chainsaw, while generally positive reviews, its way too short to even think about dropping $60 on.

Getting Borderlands 2 now instead. At least I know I'll get my money's worth on that one.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Well, Minecraft got popular in the first place thanks to Word-of-mouth marketing.

Only much later did it get any attention from "professional" game critics. I started playing Minecraft in early Alpha and I found out about it from people talking. The first review I saw was actually around the start of beta.

But word-of-mouth marketing is really risky. First the game needs to be discovered by the right people. Then the game needs to be actually good. And then you can except to get sales. Big budged games don't have the luxury to risk everything on that.
Neither do have gamer the luxury to spend 60$ on a completely new, unproved game to spreed the info of how good the game is.

So yeah, word-of-mouth marketing works only on cheap games that people can buy on impulse from their phone or just on the go while surfing some other sites. Which reminds me that Nintendo is planning to allow player to buy 3DS and WiiU games from any device that can access the internet. And if you set your WiiU up, the game will be waiting for you, downloaded when you come home.

Even tho the prices won't be for impulse buying, it will have some effect. And I'm to much off topic.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Unfortunately, casual gamers don't read the escapist articles, so we'll never know if what Teemu Huuhtanen said is true... ;p

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
wizzy555 said:
Mark D. Stroyer said:
Also, if the developer really doesn't care about reviews, what does that say about their product?
Dunno about the product, but it says they won't get fired if it doesn't break 90% on metacritic
This. Poor, poor Obsidian. Why did you rely on Metacritic for your bonuses?

Nathan Josephs

Feb 10, 2012
i hate angry birds as much as the next guy but i cant disagree with em here. casuals just buy the hip new flashy thing everyone is talking about. you know...like apple fans.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
robert01 said:
I think this is just a way for Rovio to somehow validate their place in the market by saying all these people that gave us these high scores on Metacritic and all the positive reviews aren't casual players.
If anything, it just invalidates being able to take their word on anything other than where they are now, because they haven't really proven anything besides the fact that they're great at marketing. That means we can safely ignore all those other public statements they've made on video games as a whole or the "core" market besides those based on marketing.

Given their current attitude, the moment they step outside of their comfort zone is their last, and not many studios can resist the lure of trying to be something greater. Their passive aggressive swipes at the rest of the market (as in, saying it's obsolete) speak of a company who can't think of a future where they aren't at the forefront.