BioWare Reaps Forgiveness From FTC Complainant

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Reaps Forgiveness From FTC Complainant

The guy who filed an FTC complaint over the ending of Mass Effect 3 is now a happy camper.

You may not know who Spike Murphy is, but you almost certainly know what he did. He's the guy who filed an official complaint with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission over the ending of Mass Effect 3, which, as you may have heard, not everyone was entirely happy with. Murphy's complaint was incredibly polarizing; some saw it as a legitimate and even necessary stand against a bumbling, indifferent corporate monolith, while to others it was simply gamer entitlement run wild.

But with the June 26 release of the Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut [http://blog.bioware.com/2012/06/22/mass-effect-3-extended-cut-2/], Murphy is now a happy man, telling Shacknews that he's a fan of the new endings. "Many plot holes were filled in, and a lot of the sequences seem so organic and natural to the story that it seems shocking they didn't include them in the first place," he said. "Most importantly, there's a real epilogue now, one which gives context and consequence not just to our final choice, but to all the choices we had made to get there. The ending feels complete, whereas before it seemed rushed, unfinished, and frankly like they didn't know what to do."

He still has "minor issues" with the new wrap-up but says that his faith in BioWare is renewed enough that he's now open to the idea of buying another Mass Effect game. "I feel that there is a much greater amount of trust and faith asked of gamers as opposed to other art mediums because of the large investment of time and energy necessary in playing through a game and thereby appreciating the art," he continued. "Because of that, a betrayal of that trust between artist [the designers] and their audience like we found with the original ending of ME3 is far greater than, say, having a bad ending on an otherwise good movie."

I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment, but I'm glad he's happy.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/74597/ftc-complainant-calls-mass-effect-3-ending-complete#]

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I was more happy that they fixed the engineering deck dialog bugs then what they did to the ending.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Ehhh, well, I invested about 60 Hours playing ME1-2, that's significantly longer than any movie so to find out the end of the next 30 would make the previous 60 irrelevant did put me off ME3 until the new ending came out. THEN I went and grabbed a copy.

Jul 11, 2008
The plot holes were glossed over but not fixed in any way. there's still the a/b/c ending with a tacked on d that reads as a 'screw you' to the people who had a problem with it originally. It's still a continuation of a narrative deviation that occurs at the end of the game and still abandons all the major underlying themes and of course it still fails in terms of narrative structure because it still introduces all these new elements out of nowhere.

I'm one of those that will not be buying anything Bioware in the future.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Genuine Evil said:
I can understand people not liking the MS3 ending but anyone who was part of the ?retake mass effect? movement is personally responsible for setting the industry back 5 to 10 years .

OT: I'm with the guy, I feel that the endings are complete. I'm still confused as to why they were not included in the first place but they are most certainly complete now.

EDIT: I saw you edited the post. My mistake.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
It's good that he's happy and all, but I still can't believe this guy filed a complaint with the FTC in the first place.

DVS BSTrD said:
Would you say he has "dismissed that claim"?

and I love it.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
If only everyone could at least have been semi appeased. Oh well, 'tis but a dream

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Don't care, I'll take bioware for their word that they no longer want to make respectable franchises by ruining the only ones they had and won't buy anything they ever make again. Maybe they should quit making video games since they obviously don't respect their franchises or their fanbase and make women's shoes or something. It's obvious they are no longer interested in games. Why mess with their original ending? its their game and they wanted to end it the way they wanted to and thats their right. Just don't blame me on despising and boycotting them forever after their recent history of giving their fans the middle finger. They have no franchises anymore, and its hilarious.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
YOU!

FUCKING!!

IMBECILE!!!

My mind physically imploded from the sheer level of hypocrisy and complacency here. The "extended cut" didn't fix anything, it just made the issue all the more urgent!

How many of you are betting he got sent embarassing amounts of cash in the bank to praise this garbage? I mean come on!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
YOU!

FUCKING!!

IMBECILE!!!

My mind physically imploded from the sheer level of hypocrisy and complacency here. The "extended cut" didn't fix anything, it just made the issue all the more urgent!

How many of you are betting he got sent embarassing amounts of cash in the bank to praise this garbage? I mean come on!
Yeah! How dare he have a different opinion of the extended cut than you! The nerve of that man... o_O

And urgent? Is there some kid I'm not aware of who is dying of cancer and whose last wish is to see the Indoctrination Theory made canon or something?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I still think this was the worst gaming "movement" in history. And we have opened up a Pandoras box with this.

I just wish that the one or two good ones who were upset were only allowed to see it.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
YOU!

FUCKING!!

IMBECILE!!!

Seriously though, calm down.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
And urgent? Is there some kid I'm not aware of who is dying of cancer and whose last wish is to see the Indoctrination Theory made canon or something?
My best friend Charlie passed away on the 10th of June, she would have loved to have seen this ending, she would have loved the sense of closure that this gave that the original ending lacked. However she's now chilling with Hendrix and Da Vinci (two of her heros), though knowing Charlie she's probably bending their ears with the "Indoctrination Theory"

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
I think I'm gonna sue the guys behind Two Worlds II for it's ending.

HOW THE FUCK CAN GANDOHAR BE A GOOD GUY?! HE SPENT THE ENTIRE LAST GAME SUMMONING AN DARK GOD WHOSE SOLE GOAL IS TO EXTERMINATE ALL LIFE AND SO DOING CHANGE HOW THE APOCALYPSE HAPPENS IN HIS FAVOR!

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I like the Extended Cut too. Too bad many people at the Bioware forums still insist that the end they expected is what Bioware should have done and anything else makes ME3 the worst game of all time.
I hope Bioware realize that the Extended Cut was the right thing to do and that some people, which are a loud minority, would never be pleased anyway.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I actually think it has moved the industry forward 5 to 10 years. Customers have had very little influence over companies in the past years. Publishers are getting bigger and bigger and the people got drowned out.

Now however we have fans banding together to get things done. Petitions now actually do influence a companies policy.

I don't hear anyone complaining about the OUTRAGE and PETITIONS after X-com became a third person shooter. Thanks to that outrage I will be playing an awesome top down, turn based strategy game this very October. But the emotions were the exact same. "HOW DARE THEY TURN X-COM INTO A SHOOTER!"

Yet somehow these people aren't entitled? These people are suddenly not whiny, angry, bitter, resentful or whatever? How come? Is it because they are angry about an not yet released game? Or is it because they aren't demanding change something you liked?

Neither do I hear people complain about Dark Souls being petitioned to the PC. We are now slowly entering an era where consumer content is something that is being valued. The only company I could think of before now that actually listened to fans and adapted things according to their desires was Valve.

I don't think I have to remind you why Valve thinks listening to feedback from fans is a good idea.

The simple fact here is. You like the endings. Therefore anyone having the AUDACITY to DEMAND these endings to be altered is wrong and entitled. It's just your opinion. In my opinion customer rage is actually getting things done that it couldn't before. Companies are finally listening. It's sad that they only listen to shouting. But at least we have their ear.

Now as for my personal opinion about the endings. Still mediocre, there just is no way they could have made a good ending whilst still leaving the series open for more sequels. They compromised their precious artistic integrity for profit by not giving a conclusive ending.