European Union Rejects ACTA

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
European Union Rejects ACTA

The European Parliament has voted overwhelmingly against the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.

As expected, the European Parliament has given the thumbs-down to the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, better known as ACTA, an international treaty intended to standardize and protect intellectual property rights. But opponents fear it will lead to censorship and a stifling of innovation, and have undertaken a widespread and determined campaign to shoot it down. More than 30,000 Europeans turned out to protest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115812-European-Street-Protest-Against-ACTA-Draws-Over-30-000] ACTA in February, a remarkably vociferous response to a proposed international trade agreement.

The E.U. Trade Commission had already voted 19-2 against the bill, and while that vote had no binding power, the likelihood that the European Parliament would go against the Trade Commission's recommendation was considered extremely unlikely. It did not, and in fact the Parliamentary vote was similarly lopsided, with 478 voting against it and only 39 voting in favor. There were also 165 abstentions.

Scottish MEP David Martin, who reported to the European Parliament on the proposal, said that although he was "very pleased that Parliament has followed my recommendation to reject ACTA," the E.U. still needs to find workable ways to protect IP rights, while E.U. Trade Commissioner Karl De Gucht suggested that there might yet be life left in the bill.

"Today's rejection does not change the fact that the European Commission has committed itself to seeking answers to the questions raised by the European public," De Gucht said. "The European Commission will continue to seek the legal opinion of the European Court of Justice on whether this agreement harms any of the fundamental rights of European citizens - including freedom of speech. European citizens have raised these concerns and now they have the right to receive answers. We must respect that right."

Many nations, including the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan and 22 E.U. member states, have already signed ACTA, although it has yet to be ratified anywhere. But the widespread opposition to the proposed treaty led the European Commission to suspend the ratification process while it sought the opinion of the European Court of Justice, and several European nations ultimately chose not to support it.

Sources: BBC [http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gOwTJ-kTyaEectLZGqIPzasC9JRQ?docId=49b38f848ab94dc28557d2433427aa97]

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
*Phew* Even though I new about the E.U. Trade Commission vote, I didn't dare to take this completely for granted before now. So, time for beer and chocolate cake, methinks. (It's a weekday. Full celebrations this weekend...)

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, screw you, America.
Oh, wait, America may still nick our citizens if it feels like it.
Well, at least we only suffer from censorship from our own countries, now, though a lot of people want Britain to leave the EU anyway. Because, yeah, it may have chosen this decision right but it doesn't really seem to have worked that well/

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Oh my God, the EU did something right, my whole sense of reality has been turned upside down.

WoahDan

Sep 7, 2011
The EU gets more things right than the tabloids would have you believe, just saying...

First the digital resale thing now this they seem to be on a roll with gaming issues lately.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
It's good to feel the taste of victory, but let me play the devil's advocate for a moment:

European politicians that has supported ACTA, stated that this trade agreement would be the only way for EU to compete in the global market. A Swedish supporter had <url=http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/en-seger-for-den-europeiska-demokratin>this to say (I'm translating his statements from Swedish):

I find it saddening that the European parliament said no to an international collaboration in the struggle against counterfeiting and IP crimes.

He continues by stating that the debate had the wrong focus, too much on piracy, he says. He also strongly disagree with the claim that ACTA would be a threat against civil rights.

Many claims (about ACTA infringing human rights) aren't just based on myths, but on outright lies. I do appreciate that there has been a lively debate in Europe, on this subject. I can, however, have the opinion that it occurred with false bases and for wrong reasons.

He further claims that rejecting ACTA will have negative consequences for the EU.

The voice of Europe will, because of this, weaken in the struggle against counterfeiting and piracy. Europe's competitiveness does not build upon cheap labour or raw goods, but ideas. Now Europe won't be able to defend these ideas.

Now, let me just say that I disagree with him. He's completely disregarding the very nature of innovation and creativity. Also, this kind of reasoning simply state that the concerns of EU, matter more the ones of the developing nations. This isn't how globalization works.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Now, don't get me wrong here, I still loathe the UK membership of the EU. But, it seems that on rare occasions, it can be a good thing. Congrats, EU. Well done for actually seeing sense, for once... :)

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
I think this would be more meaningful to readers if the links to the actual ACTA document (translated) were attached, or at least an accurate synopsis/abstract

blueb0g

Oct 9, 2010
Trivun said:
Now, don't get me wrong here, I still loathe the UK membership of the EU. But, it seems that on rare occasions, it can be a good thing. Congrats, EU. Well done for actually seeing sense, for once... :)
Daily Mail reader? The UK has seen nothing but benefits from being in the EU... The single currency isn't working out great for them at the moment, but, I need hardly remind you, we're not part of it, and our economy would be in much, much worse shape were we not a member... Ever wondered why ALL of the major parties support membership? Because it would be economic suicide to leave the union. Also, don't forget the amount of benefits we get from the US-UK "special relationship" - a relationship that is built, in no small part, by a desire of the US to have a close friend in on EU proceedings.

blueb0g

Oct 9, 2010
GiglameshSoulEater said:
Yeah, screw you, America.
Oh, wait, America may still nick our citizens if it feels like it.
Well, at least we only suffer from censorship from our own countries, now, though a lot of people want Britain to leave the EU anyway. Because, yeah, it may have chosen this decision right but it doesn't really seem to have worked that well/
The EU has worked great. It's the single currency that's a bit iffy.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Many nations, including the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan and 22 E.U. member states, have already signed ACTA, although it has yet to be ratified anywhere.
So what exactly does this mean? Does the treaty need to be approved by everyone involved in order to be ratified? Or is it more like the Kyoto Protocol where every country that signs it is bound to it even if it fails elsewhere? I don't know how international treaties like this work.

The voice of Europe will, because of this, weaken in the struggle against counterfeiting and piracy. Europe's competitiveness does not build upon cheap labour or raw goods, but ideas. Now Europe won't be able to defend these ideas.
Ugh, I hate this attitude. "Our job is to sit at a desk and come up with ideas. We have people to do all the real manual labor for us." It's bad enough when individuals say it, but now we have entire countries taking that attitude towards other (mostly second- and third-world) countries. Like they exist to be our servants. It's fucked up, is what it is. And what about when they decide they don't want to work for us anymore, and we have nothing to fall back on? As my dad once said, you can't eat an idea.

Ed.

Jan 14, 2010
If the rest of the
blueb0g said:
Trivun said:
Daily Mail reader? The UK has seen nothing but benefits from being in the EU... The single currency isn't working out great for them at the moment, but, I need hardly remind you, we're not part of it, and our economy would be in much, much worse shape were we not a member... Ever wondered why ALL of the major parties support membership? Because it would be economic suicide to leave the union. Also, don't forget the amount of benefits we get from the US-UK "special relationship" - a relationship that is built, in no small part, by a desire of the US to have a close friend in on EU proceedings.
There is the small matter of trampling democracy when its inconvenient see Ireland having to vote 'correctly' the second time and Italy and Greece having their presidents 'nudged'
The common market is the thing that helps our economy almost everything els is a disaster with he notable exception of digital policy and thankfully the auditor so at least we know how screwed up everything els is.
It could be a really good thing but has a long way to go.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
theSteamSupported said:
It's good to feel the taste of victory, but let me play the devil's advocate for a moment:

European politicians that has supported ACTA, stated that this trade agreement would be the only way for EU to compete in the global market. A Swedish supporter had <url=http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/en-seger-for-den-europeiska-demokratin>this to say (I'm translating his statements from Swedish):

I find it saddening that the European parliament said no to an international collaboration in the struggle against counterfeiting and IP crimes.

He continues by stating that the debate had the wrong focus, too much on piracy, he says. He also strongly disagree with the claim that ACTA would be a threat against civil rights.

Many claims (about ACTA infringing human rights) aren't just based on myths, but on outright lies. I do appreciate that there has been a lively debate in Europe, on this subject. I can, however, have the opinion that it occurred with false bases and for wrong reasons.

He further claims that rejecting ACTA will have negative consequences for the EU.

Now, let me just say that I disagree with him. He's completely disregarding the very nature of innovation and creativity. Also, this kind of reasoning simply state that the concerns of EU, matter more the ones of the developing nations. This isn't how globalization works.
I assume that is Christofer Fjellner that you're quoting. He doesn't have a clue what ACTA is about and has proven so on multiple occasions. I can't believe that they let people in the trade commission vote on things that they have several misconceptions about.

It's nothing but GOOD that ACTA got voted down. The bill had more vague language than SOPA and PIPA combined and was nothing but a hit job by American special interests.