Spider-Teased

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Spider-Teased

MovieBob offers up some theories as to who just might be the Amazing Spider-Man's next foe.

Read Full Article

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
It's Norm. Clearly the actor was trying to channel Willem Defoe there. And I think the "extended origin" stuff has been moved to the second movie, which is probably a good idea.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Richard Parker experimented on himself and passed the powers on to Peter? Isn't that the plot of Ang Lee's The Hulk? And wasn't that both terrible and still somehow less convoluted than THIS?

EDIT

Oh look, if I had read the last two sentences before typing I would have known I wasn't the first person to notice. Which is to say, yeah, what Bob said. Why not just do that? It was at least an interesting idea if nothing else.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
What about Mac Gargan? Could be the private eye-turned-scorpion retooled for the movies.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
I still say that it was Mephisto. Appears out of nowhere, makes some vague explanation, then vanishes? He's getting Parker's marriage even if he has to switch genres to do it.

Dreadjaws

Nov 29, 2011
I don't think he's Electro nor Mysterio or any other of those villains. This guy has to be a schemer, a master planner (hint, hint), so it has to be a big guy, not just a familiar character, but someone who is on top of things.

Now, for obvious reasons he can't be the Kingpin, so I'd vote for either Osborn, Stromm, Smythe or yes, maybe Richard Parker, to a minor degree.

But he also could be the biggest suspect of them all, the one who always stay on top of everything and everyone, the one who knows Spidey's life more than himself: none other than... Stan Lee!

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
I'd say the Spot but that likely makes no sense since he's not really a schemer. So that said, since the movies seems to take a number of pages from 90's Spiderman, I'd go with Judas Traveller.

Although what they might do is combine Richard Parker and Ezikiel, which could be interesting if done right.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
For all the legitimate ill press this movie has been getting from some folks I have to admit that I'm surprised that they managed to show a degree of restraint in one area.

Everything I've seen about this film, from it's "dark and gritty" overtone to it's evil corporate super science and big reveal of Parker's Super Scientist parents almost seemed to be tailor made for fast tracking Venom into the story by way of botched experimentation.

Specifically hinting that Venom is the the end result of one of the shady bits of super science OsCorp had the Parkers working on.

Maybe I'm assuming too much because that was more or less the route they took in the Ultimate Spider-Man comic.

Now I know this was The Lizard's movie and bringing Venom into it would have pulled the focus away from that, but I would still have expected it to be mentioned or revealed in an end of film stinger as sequel bait.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Most likely the Green Goblin, that coupled with the fact that Gwen Stacy is the lead love could lead to a very dramatic climax.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
aguywhoknowsaguy said:
I'm guessing that the guy didn't look big so it couldn't be the Kingpin.
I'm not sure they could, anyway. Doesn't Fox still own the movie rights for Kingpin?

Lawbringer

Oct 7, 2009
Didn't it establish earlier on in the film that Dr Connors was suffering Willem Defoe style schizophrenia? I assumed it was just him having an argument in his own mind.

Perhaps I saw it wrong, but I thought the shadowy figure was missing his left arm (eg, a reflection of Connors?). Just my two pence...

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
I don't get Bob's love of all the worst parts of comic books. Giving Electro a more believable origin story than being an electrician who was hit by lightning while holding some power cords would be "sad"?

It reminds me of how during his review he expressed displeasure with the tendency of adaptations to roll character origins together. The least believable part of typical comics canon is that so many people undergo weird freak events that give them super powers, and all around the same time so they can fight each other. In movies its especially bad; what are the chances that Peter would have been bitten by the spider around the same time that, unrelatedly, Dr. Connors accidentally became the Lizard?

The best thing about comic book movies is that they can ignore and avoid the stupidest parts of actual comic book worlds, and I think Bob's a little too close to the originals to evaluate some parts of these movies.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Now this is nerd commitment. Having so much anger and disgust for a film, Bob still must explore the lore threads brought up. I salute you sir.

Apr 17, 2009
You know, if it is Electro acting as someone's go-to-guy I hope they don't give him that ridiculous costume.

Look at it! Its like it epitomises the Silver Age
Maybe they should make the lightning-bolt star thing a tattoo on his face. Or go the Spectacular Spider-Man route and just make the lightning his face altogether

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
If I cared in the slightest bit, I might have been intrigued by this, but I intend to make no attempts to see any movies in this version of the Spider-Man franchise. Not even on Netflix or on TV.
This version of Spider-Man can fuck right off.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Bob, you missed the most obvious choice. Hat? Trenchcoat? Seems to come and go unseen. Classic identifiable yet vague Spidey villain? Corporate spy (among other things)

How about the Chameleon?