World of Goo Team Sets Its New Game on Fire

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
World of Goo Team Sets Its New Game on Fire

Tomorrow Corporation's new game Little Inferno has gone beta, and for $15 you can burn stuff too!

For those of you wondering whatever happened to the guys who made World of Goo, the physics based puzzle game, or Henry Hatsworth, the tea-sipping action platformer puzzle game, the riddle is now solved. They've joined forces to create the Tomorrow Corporation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98947-World-of-Goo-and-Henry-Hatsworth-Creators-Form-Indie-Studio], and their latest opus Little Inferno has hit beta. Moreover, for a mere $15 you can join in the pyromania.

There's absolutely no word on gameplay as yet, though it seems likely that a lot of stuff will be set on fire. It's a reasonable guess that this will be a puzzle game, bearing in mind who created it, but beyond that? Nada. Nothing. Not so much as a sizzling sausage. The trailer gives you a pretty good idea of the game world - not so distant future, looks as if there's been significant climate change - but all else is mystery.

This has been deliberate policy on the developer's part. "We've been quiet about this game so far," they say on their blog page, "to avoid being another lost adorable indie game that never materializes." However the time has come to go beta and, if you have a PC and a little patience - for they're pushing this out the door in batches, not all at once - you can be a beta tester [http://tomorrowcorporation.com/littleinferno]. That gets you an early build of the game and soundtrack together with eventual access to the final version, including all updates.

Though the beta is only for the PC, the game itself will be for Mac and Linux too. Assuming the stars are in their favor, this shall be a Winter 2012 release.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-11-world-of-goo-devs-little-inferno-now-accepting-beta-sign-ups]

The Random One

May 29, 2008
There's nothing I find more loathsome than hype, so I applaud what they're doing. If everyone did that the gaming industry would be a lot healthier.

Myrph

Proud owner of a Jamtroller
Oct 27, 2009
Its great to see they've managed to retain the dark sense of humour that was such a breath of fresh air in World of Goo and the wonderfully haunting soundtrack! Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I... What? What is this? That is the most delightfully twisted trailer I've ever seen.

I want this game now.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Intruiged... are there any screenshots or youtubes - really want to see how the game looks.
World of Goo did a lot for the indi game market, it practically kicked the doors open IMO, it made it abundantly clear how polished and great an indi game could be.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
I remember World of Goo getting creepy at certain levels but that was plain old twisted, which means it's a day 1 buy for me.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Kids playing with fire... oh boy, your so edgy. A global climate change message hinted at? Yeah that'll be fun. The teaser looks dull to me. I have no idea what the game is like but this doesn't make me want to pay 15$ that's for sure.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
Kids playing with fire... oh boy, your so edgy. A global climate change message hinted at? Yeah that'll be fun. The teaser looks dull to me. I have no idea what the game is like but this doesn't make me want to pay 15$ that's for sure.
you must be so hardcore. Tell be how you chew iron, and shit nails, and have copious amounts of sex with women at your leisure.

OT: I'm excited to see what those guys come up with. World of Goo was a great indie game, and serves as a benchmark for any indie game to measure up to, imo.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Ympulse said:
Twilight_guy said:
you must be so hardcore. Tell be how you chew iron, and shit nails, and have copious amounts of sex with women at your leisure.

OT: I'm excited to see what those guys come up with. World of Goo was a great indie game, and serves as a benchmark for any indie game to measure up to, imo.
I don't. I'm not going to fall for a teaser with no gameplay and no real notion of what the heck the game is. It doesn't work when AAA studios do it or when little indie studios do.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
I don't. I'm not going to fall for a teaser with no gameplay and no real notion of what the heck the game is. It doesn't work when AAA studios do it or when little indie studios do.
Yup, that live action Skyrim trailer totally failed, that Halo3 diarama and live action stuff was a waste of time. When you have a fan base, you don't really need to say very much about the actual game.
Really I think all this video is aiming to do is peak peoples interest, maybe just enough to get them to recognise news about the game, it's not there to convince people to buy it - just know it exists and fans of these style indi games should keep their eyes peeled.

Really, all I need to know is that the team behind Goo is making a new game, I don't need to know specifics - of course screenshots and videos would be great - but the lack of them doesn't stop me from being happy that another twisted puzzler like Goo is on it's way.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
I'm not going to fall for a teaser with no gameplay and no real notion of what the heck the game is. It doesn't work when AAA studios do it or when little indie studios do.
Pretty much this.

It's a cute little video, but a video isn't the same thing as a game. The game could just be scrabble for all we know!