Valve's Source Filmmaker Goes Public

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Valve's Source Filmmaker Goes Public

Valve's home-grown animation software launches with an extra "Meet the Team" video.

Though it premiered Monty Python's "Dead Parrot" sketch featuring a Demoman and Soldier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118149-Create-Your-Own-Animated-Shorts-With-Valve] has come out of the closed beta. The testing has gone so well, in fact, that Valve is now opening the beta to anyone with a copy of Steam.

With the open beta comes on its blog [http://steamcommunity.com/sfm], including an extensive 2Fort-based action sequence and a "Meet the Heavy" spoof with approximately 250% more hats.

Since many of the fan videos so far are riffs on Valve's "Meet the Heavy" short, which was included with Source Filmmaker to give would-be animators a polished video to poke at, Valve is also releasing its "Meet the Engineer" short with the open beta. That doesn't mean there's no variety already though - one enterprising filmmaker has already created a Half Life 2: Episode 3 spoof [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80328927] with no Team Fortress 2 characters in sight.

Source: Valve [http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com]

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Why does everyone seem to be so excited about the Source Filmmaker? We all know that was the worst Highlander movie.
Trust me, nothing is worse than Highlander 2.

WHY THE HELL ARE THEY ALIENS!!!??? ARGLEBARGLE WARGLE!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Holy hell some of those videos are awesome. If only I had the patience to make some videos...

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I saw that today and was wondering what it could do exactly.
But then the installer mentioned it wants 10 GB of my precious harddrive and that's when I had to decline.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Hats on boolets. I'm convinced now.

I do want to eventually make my own action scene with SFM though. Seems pretty cool.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Downloaded on my laptop, waiting to get home to transfer it over.

Doubt I'll get into it too much unless it's immensely user friendly, but I like looking at the tools behind the videos I'm going to be watching everyone else make so I can appreciate them more.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I was very upset to learn that it was 10gb, why can't I have nice internet :(

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
My personal favourites as I download SFM for myself.

butternut

Jul 14, 2010
I just finished downloading it. Too bad its half past midnight now, can't wait to start fiddling with it later.

Also

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
jdogtwodolla said:
Saulkar said:
At least we can take comfort in the fact that people who recorded in Garry's Mod to make exactly that can still make... Exactly that.
Have you ever used GMOD before? I am getting the impression that this was a condescending reply.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Saulkar said:
Have you ever used GMOD before? I am getting the impression that this was a condescending reply.
No, and no it wasn't in my head. Please correct me where I messed up in that sentence.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
jdogtwodolla said:
Saulkar said:
No, and no it wasn't in my head. Please correct me where I messed up in that sentence.
Oops. Sorry about that. Give me a second to articulate myself.

What this all boils down to is despite the absurdity and potential tastelessness of those videos (which often elicits negative reactions) they are extremely complex and required many hours to make. There are people who hold GMOD in very low esteem as given that many choose to use its freeform nature to produce surrealist vidoes with very low production quality. People who often did such videos are now using SFM and have not evolved their tastes and produce the exact same surreal videos albeit with a significantly higher productions quality given the sheer power of the tools at their disposal.

This causes those who already despised GMOD users and potentially GMOD itself (believing that the nearly homogenous genre of videos created to potentially be a product of the software itself) to direct their indignation towards SFM videos that could be interpreted as having any resemblance to the nature of a GMOD video. In conclusion my little misunderstanding happened when I mistook your comment for one of those who feel that SFM is in someway being tainted or corrupted by the userbase of GMOD shoehorning the software into a singular genre.

Additionally there are those who feel that unless a something is used to their subjective interpretation of its full potential then whatever the final product is, is a waste and thus in turn compare its value to that of which they interpret as being of inferior quality.

HWOOOOOOOO! WALL-O-TEXT!!!

Yeah, my bad.

ECasThat

Nov 14, 2009
Now it's only a question of time before we begin to see fake half-life 2 episode 3 trailers all over the place.

also: