Rumor: Rocksteady Making a Silver Age Batman Game

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Rumor: Rocksteady Making a Silver Age Batman Game

Batman's next video game may depict his first meeting with the Joker ... in the 1950s.

Rocksteady's Arkham Asylum and Arkham City proved once again that superhero properties can become successful videogame franchises, but as self-contained titles they left very little room for future development. Knowing that Mark Hamill would retire his Joker character with Arkham City, Rocksteady gave us a definitive ending to the story that made direct sequels a difficult prospect, if not a complete impossibility. However, an unconfirmed story published by Variety this morning suggests that Rocksteady may not be quite ready to step away from the Batman franchise. If true, the next Rocksteady Batman may take the form of a highly stylized Arkham prequel that drops the gritty tone of the original games in favor of the colorful 1950s Silver Age.

The Silver Age of Comics refers to a period from approximately 1950 to 1970 when the Comics Code Authority forced publishers to regulate their content exclusively for young audiences. Although controversial, the code facilitated some of the industry's most memorable depictions of characters like Batman and Joker, and would even inspire Adam West's live-action Batman series.

As with any rumor, the story should be taken with a grain of salt. After all, Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment didn't give any hint of a new Batman game at this year's E3, focusing instead on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117573-Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-Shows-the-Brutal-Side-of-Superheroes>the upcoming fighting game Injustice. That said, Rocksteady has already shown itself to be successful when it comes to designing experimental Batman games, and it may even fit with a long-term plan of Warner Bros <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108861-New-Warner-Bros-Pres-Eager-to-Reboot-Batman-for-a-Justice-League-Movie>to remarket their Justice League characters for an upcoming movie.

If true, Rocksteady's prequel would focus on the first meeting between Batman and Joker against the backdrop of the DC Comic's Silver Age, referring to publications primarily from the 1950s and 60s. Variety writer Marc Graser notes that this is the period in which Batman also joined the Justice League which, just like Lego Batman 2, would play to Warner Bros.' theme of reintroducing gamers to popular Justice League characters. Graser also claims that the game wouldn't be released until 2014, one year before the latest Justice League movie is planned for theaters.

We'll have to wait and see whether Warner Bros or Rocksteady comment on the story, but a 1950s take on Batman might actually be ideal for gamers and a refreshing take on the character. After all, Arkham City already used in-game visual effects to aid combat; would it be possible to replace those with Adam West styled graphics instead?

BAM! POW! SWOOSH!

Source: <a href=http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056432?refCatId=13>Variety

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
If they do not get Adam West to voice this Batman then I will be sorely disappointed.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Does this mean they'll get Adam West to voice Batman? PLEASE tell me they're getting Adam West to voice Batman!

Inb4 the level where you have to run around a dock trying to find a place to properly dispose of a bomb.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I'm throwing money at the screen and nothing is happening!!

Seriously, a Batman a bit like TF2 would be.... just epic.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Holy All Of My Want, Batman!

No, seriously, i always wanted to see some sort of revival of Sixties Batman and now i get to be Sixties Batman? Groovy as hell!

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
As long as I get a dehydrated bat suit for tricky situations then count me in!

Heck who am I kidding SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Needs a random word generator that comes up in colourful letters when you execute a combo.

'Kerpow!'

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
YES! YEEEEES!!

This is everything I could want. Well, actually, all I wanted was a DLC for Arkham City that let you play as Adam West, complete with the big PUNCH placards appearing above accosted enemies. If they make an entire game out of it, well shit, that is all the better.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Forget Batman just make a game about Adam West running around in a suit punching people and fleeing from Silver age Batman enthusiasts.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
But they left very clear sequel threads. Azrael's entire point in being there was pretty much just a sequel hook. Then there was Hush and all the Scarecrow stuff.

My first reaction to this was "No no no no no no no no no!" but this could actually be quite fun. I just don't want this in place of a third Arkham game. This AS WELL would be great though. And yeah actually getting Adam West (and hell, he'd probably do it if offered) to voice would be sort of amazing. Although an Adam West series style setting but with Conroy's voice played straight could be even more fantastic.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Rocksteady designed everything in Asylum from the ground up to fit Batman, even the run button. I trust them to do anything because they haven't proved themselves good at a niche genre but good at making things to fit their overall goal. They can do whatever they like and I'll play it.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
this could be really fun if they put in over the top death traps and all the goofy gadgets from that era. seriously if they let you use the shark repellent i will cry tears of joy.