Xbox 720 May Feature PC-Like Customization

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Xbox 720 May Feature PC-Like Customization

Microsoft has filed patent applications for a "scalable hardware system".

Remember those <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117952-Rumor-Leaked-Design-Doc-Outs-Next-Gen-Xbox>Xbox 720 design documents from 2010 that leaked onto the internet? Whether you believe they're genuine or not, it's hard to deny they hint at things that Microsoft would love to implement in its next console. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118028-Microsoft-Scouring-All-Traces-of-Xbox-720-Design-Doc>Microsoft's takedown notices may not have been the confirmation on the matter we were hoping for, but the discovery of a US patent application has just reignited the issue. Four months after the internal documents were created, Microsoft filed patents for a scalable hardware system with certain design concepts bearing a curious resemblance to ideas from the Xbox 720 documents.

The patent application, which you can <a href=http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20120159090.PGNR.&OS=DN/20120159090&RS=DN/20120159090>read here, was published quietly last month and recently discovered by <a href=http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1655414&postcount=13360>Beyond3D Forum Member "Sonic". Unlike design documents, an authentic US patent application is much harder to dismiss with a wave of your hand, especially when the inventor named on the application is Jeffrey Andrews, one of Microsoft's chief hardware architects.

The patent abstract explicitly states that the system will run "media applications such as game applications" and repeatedly states that platform and hardware resources will be capable of scaling up or down over time. Several possible system models are mentioned in the patent, all of which allow for multiple CPU and GPUs, which might even suggest a level of customization more in line with the common PC.

While the technology behind the system itself is very interesting, the main question is why Microsoft would allow a console to be customizable at all? The most likely answer lies in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118360-Square-Enix-This-Generation-Has-Been-Way-Too-Long>our prolonged console generation. If the next generation were to undergo a similar process, the ability to immediately increase hardware capability might be enough to keep the system relevant for the cycle's entire duration.

If Microsoft does use this technology in their next console, I'm curious whether these customization options will be available to end users. After all, Microsoft already provided <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107915-Microsoft-Legit-Kinect-Hacks-Coming-in-April>an official SDK for the Kinect and the Ouya Kickstarter conclusively proved <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118375-Update-Open-Source-Android-Console-Fully-Funded-with-1-Million>that customization is a big deal. If one of the industry's biggest platforms opened the door for user-controlled hacks and upgrades, it may gain a huge edge in the upcoming console generation.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-microsoft-scalable-platform-patent>Eurogamer

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
In before some asshole references Jim the asshole and yell how we shall all be PCs or be shot.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm doubtful they would actually implement this in to the next Xbox. MS like their control.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
saintdane05 said:
In before some asshole references Jim the asshole and yell how we shall all be PCs or be shot.
Pretty sure Jim never said "we shall all be PCs or be shot." In fact, I don't think anyone here has ever said we should turn into computers.

OT: Patents suck. I've become increasingly convinced they are nothing but methods and means for companies to throw their weight around and crush competition.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Scrustle said:
I'm doubtful they would actually implement this in to the next Xbox. MS like their control.
I suspect it will be customization like the MAC. Only Microsoft approved components will be permitted, this isn't bad thing. After all the main point of consoles is the the reduced cost of development by having standard components.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I want the component that makes it so I don't have to buy three of these things. Oh, I forgot, I had to buy three 360s, why the hell would I buy hardware from Microsoft again?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
saintdane05 said:
Pretty sure Jim never said "we shall all be PCs or be shot." In fact, I don't think anyone here has ever said we should turn into computers.

OT: Patents suck. I've become increasingly convinced they are nothing but methods and means for companies to throw their weight around and crush competition.
More like his fans going "WAAH! YOU SHOULD ALL BE PLAYING ON PCS BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T YOU ARE STUPID, WAAAAHHH!"

YOU ARE TEARING THE ESCAPIST COMMUNITY APART, JIMQUISITON!

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Don't know if I like this idea. Sounds to me like this will lead to mandatory upgrades for my Xbox so I can play the newest games. Sure this might have some positive sides, but from my point of view consoles should not need a hardware upgrade until the next gen comes along and not every few months/years just so I can run my games I just payed 60$ for.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
I wish people would realize that "consoles" are just dumbed down PCs, especially XBOX.

The only point of them is DRM. So basically, expensive Steam.
Want me to link JimQuisition for you?

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I think I'm going to stick to my initial assessment of the next console cycle. That is, stay out of it in favor of my PC unless they roll out quite a few console exclusives that I can't live without playing.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
saintdane05 said:

The reason why patents were introduced was to stop big companies throwing their weight around. Without them anyone coming up with a new idea that works, the large companies would just simply copy it and not pay the inventor anything. Who do you think would win in straight sales battle between a small start up and, lets say, Microsoft.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Having the option right now to improve my Xbox's GPU or give it more RAM would be attractive (assuming games could take advantage of it). It would also be nice to be able to replace burned-out components myself instead of having to pay Microsoft to do it (or replace my console).

On the other hand, the prospect of having to pay hundreds of dollars every year to ensure my Xbox Next meets the most current Microsoft hardware spec doesn't appeal to me. And I doubt developers are looking forward to having to make sure their titles run on multiple different hardware configurations.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I heard a while back that Windows 8 would play XBox games. Is that a thing that is real? If so, why would anyone buy an XBox 720 instead of a comparable PC with Windows 8?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
My PC already features full customizability. I don't need to tie myself to a console that charges me for online play and 10$ extra for every game I buy.

Because really that is the only two things that will be left if M$ actually makes this patent a reality.

You will be playing on a console you have to upgrade to keep up with games without any of the PC benefits. In the end you will just pay more money. I'll continue being part of the glorious PC master race me thinks.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This isn't bad, according to Ars Technia it's designed so that the level of gameplay power doesn't change but if there is spare processing power it can go to other things. So it will allow them to do not box themselves into holes with stuff like cross-party chart and accessories etc

PingoBlack said:
I wish people would realize that "consoles" are just dumbed down PCs, especially XBOX.

I feel your tone is quite aggressive towards opinions of people who differ from yourself.

And the Jimquisition, unlike say Extra Credits, doesn't spend a whole lot of time on sound logical arguments, it's broadly (ish) cohesive but it's always a one sided commentary (or 'rant') in line with basically any other random guy on the internet, so forgive me, but considering his track record, I'd find what you have to say, more helpful than him. It's like having O'Reilly or Glenn Beck on your side, at best means nothing, and you have more esteem in my eyes than him because at least your a fresh perspective. For me, Jim on the other hand is just a bit of hipster, goth, scene kid, whatever. He's the counter-culture person who defines himself entirely in opposition to the popular opinion, which is just a bit boring. Yahtzee on the other hand, often has opinions that clash with popular opinion but he allows compromise and his opinions vary, sometimes he agrees if he feels like the evidence support it and unlike Jim it feels like Yahtzee has thought about something and then formed an opinion, whereas Jim forms an opinion and then creates a reason to support it.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
This does not seem much different than Nintendo's attempt to do the same with the Nintendo64. Unfortunately, Nintendo only got as far as trying the 'ram expansion pack' or whatever it was called, which enabled high resolution textures in some games and maybe some other features in others. Nintendo also had another upgrade in the works which I do not think ever happened. It involved an upgrade to a 'zip disk' type media called the DD64 (disk drive) if I remember correctly.

Anyway, modular consoles do not seem like a viable idea. For starters, it takes away the prime advantage consoles have over PCs: developers can optimize games for a stable and specific hardware architecture and spec. Introducing different hardwares would force developers to optimize a game for different combinations of upgrades. Additionally, it makes 'what works and what don't' an ambiguous question when it's time to purchase a game. Consumers will have to pay attention to whether their chosen game will even work with their system specs, or face the possibility of a forced upgrade.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
saintdane05 said:
PingoBlack said:

Called it. FUCKING Called it! People would ask to link to the least trustworth asshole who works for this site!

Seriously, how do you people like him? He basically exists to cause idiotic flame wars. Like what's about to start.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
BrotherRool said:
I feel your tone is quite aggressive towards opinions of people who differ from yourself.
My tone? o_O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware

XBOX always was based on PC hardware, the basic selling point is that due to it being standardized hardware it is more reliable than a persons quite non-standardized) PC.

Of course, most people are not geeky so they don't look at specs, so they tend to not realize the physical hardware they run. Unlike PS3 which has a rather different design, being a vector processor basically.

But why would you feel threatened by my text based comment is beyond me ... Oh I see, assumptions.