Inky, Pinky, Blinky and You

Feb 13, 2008
Inky, Pinky, Blinky and You

Pac-Man is back, and this time he's phoned a friend.

Way back when I was a young 'un, there was this game about a yellow blob that hid from ghosts until he could chomp 'em. Now you can enjoy it too, but with the addition that it's not just on your mobile phone, but there's a Europe wide score board.

That's right, all you need are Bluetooth phones and you can play as either Pac-Man or one of the ghosts. Along with the co-op mode, there are little details such as pause/resume, saving positions, but it's still the hungry yellow muncher and the multi-colored ghosts running a maze.

Pac-Man himself now suffers from "Fog of War" where he can only see the areas of the maze he's been to, making strategy even harder than usual; and allowing for ghost team ups.
(Unfortunately, you don't get to play a Ghost Tank though.)

Details via the Namco [http://www.namcomobile.com/PAC-MAN] website. He may be approaching 30, but the yellow guy can still out-chomp baby Mario.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Sounds good in theory. I guess I'll have to try it out to make my final judgment though.

goncalobms

Nov 15, 2008
I think it is great they are bringing this back ... Pacman is great fun while waiting for the train (or during the train ride)

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
This is actually similar to the multiplayer Pac-Man Vs. that was on the GameCube. Unfortunately, that was relatively difficult to come by, and required using the GBA link cables to play.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
You know this sounds like a pretty good idea.

But then again I've always been a fan of having OpFor situations in multiplayer (see: "Counter-Op" mode of Perfect Dark)

Not so sure if that fog of war is an entirely good idea though.

Feb 13, 2008
No, I must admit that the Fog of War seems to deny the spirit of Pacman.

It was one of the first games to have a recognizable AI though, each of the ghosts has a distinct personality. Despite that code being based on random chance....it's always the red one...Shadow-"Blinky" who's coming after you if you camp the power pellets.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
camp? Tank? Thanks, root, now all I can picture is a Pac-man MMO, which I guess this kind of is. minus one M

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
You know, playing as the ghosts sounds like it would be a nice change.