Thomas Janes Returns to The Punisher

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thomas Janes Returns to The Punisher

Frank Castle just wants to do his laundry, but the world has other ideas.

Fair warning: The video currently playing is horrific on multiple levels. Brutal, terrible things happen. It's a disturbing portrait of some of the worst that humanity has to offer. And it is violent, to the point that even I, a long-time fan of movie violence, thought, "Wow, this is violent." It is not pleasant. Consider yourself warned.

Still with me? Okay then! Behold #DirtyLaundry, an unofficial short film starring Thomas Jane, the actor who played Marvel's Baddest Man in the 2004 flick The Punisher [http://www.amazon.com/The-Punisher-Blu-ray-Thomas-Jane/dp/B000EWBKKS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1342468147&sr=8-5&keywords=The+Punisher]. That's not to suggest that a new Punisher film is on the way, however; Jane just feels such an affinity for the character that he did this all for kicks.

"I wanted to make a fan film for a character I've always loved and believed in - a love letter to Frank Castle and his fans," Jane said. "It was an incredible experience with everyone on the project throwing in their time just for the fun of it. It's been a blast to be a part of from start to finish - we hope the friends of Frank enjoy watching it as much as we did making it."

And yes, that guy in the wheelchair is none other than Ron Perlman, the ultra-cool actor better known as Fallout [http://www.amazon.com/Hellboy-Directors-Blu-ray-Ron-Perlman/dp/B000OT6V00/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342468243&sr=8-3&keywords=hellboy]. Thomas Jane is easily the most righteous Punisher ever (although the field is admittedly thin) but the inclusion of Perlman - especially embittered, helpless, "watch the world burn" Perlman - puts the awesome factor through the roof.

The payoff is a long time coming, but that's part of the appeal: The more nakedly atrocious the build-up, the more wantonly vicious the inevitable blow-up is bound to be. And boy, is it ever. I haven't seen a Marvel movie since X-Men 3 [http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-The-Last-Stand-Blu-ray/dp/B001PPGAK8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342468322&sr=8-4&keywords=x-men+3], but if they want to bring back Mr. Jane as Mr. Castle, you better believe I'll be standing in line.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc&feature=player_embedded]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
He was amazing as Castle in the movie. I want to see a sequel so fuckin' bad. And the video game that was released alongside the movie was awesome as well. It was a movie licensed game, Thomas Jane voiced Frank, but the game was actually based on comic book version of the characters. And it's one of the best third person shooters I have ever played. I want a sequel to that as well.

This short film was simply amazing. I hope it will get enough attention to spawn a sequel to The Punisher. And don't even bother mentioning Punisher: War Zone.

Ramoth Gilead

Sep 10, 2010
Great short, but I have a problem, I don't think that the comic book punisher would have stood by and done his laundry while a woman and child were beaten by drug dealers and thugs. Other than that I thought the delivery was amazing.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
God DAMN that was brutal. I like.

The 2004 Punisher movie might not have been received particularly well, but I rather enjoyed it. Would have much preferred a sequel to it rather than the reboot Lionsgate did with Punisher Warzone.

Karavision

Oct 13, 2011
Punisher Warzone is my second favorite comic movie behind Dark Knight. It nailed the feel of Punisher Max and Welcome Back Frank.

Thomas Jane felt like "Civil War" Punisher. He did not even feel like The Punisher until the very end. It also felt like the loss of his family created his issues as opposed to it just allowing his brutal nature to come to the forefront.

Thomas Jane did not feel like the same guy who went through "Born"

JayDig

Jun 28, 2008
For some reason I really didn't care much for Thom Jane's Punisher movie. (I can't quit you Dolph Lungren, even if you didn't wear the skull) and I would have to rewatch the Ray Stevenson one to remember anything about it, other than the excessively awesome violence..

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Punisher: War Zone sucked terribly. I understand what they were trying to do, bringing the Punisher Max comics to life, but the violence was too cartoony, the way everything was shot just seemed like a joke. This short film accomplished in ten minutes what that film couldn't in what an hour and a half, two hours? The 2004 version was good but lacked the gritty appeal we were all hoping for from Frank Castle, Tom Jane did excellent as the character though and I really had hoped that they would continue from there into Castle's war on crime, one bullet at a time (that shouldn't have rhymed). I really hope that enough applause is generated from this that they'll seriously consider bringing Thomas Jane and The Punisher back for another go at the series because I love the goddamn Punisher.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
That video was epic. Words cannot express how happy I would be if Thomas Jane did another Punisher movie.

I really feel like watching The Punisher now. I might go and dig it out and watch it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That was well done despite I find it abit questionable at time (why the hell would that kid walked through during that unless he really think they won't notice him which fail) and I would of thought Frank would of taken action sooner.
Also man I do not know the whiskey bottle was that strong (I'm not a drinker). Also he's pretty danm strong to break their bones that easily.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I actually liked Jane's Punisher movie. And I'm usually one of those boring dudes who generally agrees with the critics. But it was a good movie. I loved the two awkward dudes who lived in the buildings, and the cooking scene was fantastic. So over-the-top. Action scenes usually bore me because they are so obviously choreographed, but that one had me laughing, grimacing, and glued to the screen.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Is - is that how limbs work?

I don't think that's how limbs work.

Or whiskey, for that matter.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
That was well done despite I find it abit questionable at time (why the hell would that kid walked through during that unless he really think they won't notice him which fail) and I would of thought Frank would of taken action sooner.
Also man I do not know the whiskey bottle was that strong (I'm not a drinker). Also he's pretty danm strong to break their bones that easily.
Whiskey's also not alcoholic enough to burn, but WHO CARES?! It was just some way of showing how Punisher could still be done.

Personally I liked both versions. Thomas Jane's version was more grounded, while Ray Stevenson's version was all about the comic and ultraviolence. There's a happy medium there somewhere, which I think is partially shown with that video. Grounded in reality, with just enough reality taken out of it to be more fun.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
I suppose black ops training and being a superhero at the same time has it's perks.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I liked the 04 Punisher more but the last one had the right style/look just was dumb with the sound on.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
A Punisher fan film without studio interference is better than the THREE Hollywood attempts?

Geez.

Tom Jane is great in this.

But I would like to say, I'm getting a different vibe from his "reluctance" to help the victims than others. Basically, I see people going "he would have stepped in sooner" or "The Punisher wouldn't let that happen"... but I get the impression this whole thing is his RETURN to being "The Punisher".

From the start of it, he looks like he's trying to adjust to a normal life. No Punisher motif. No guns with him. He's doing laundry. His time is over. The world is screwed up, so why bother. When he tells Ron Pearlman he's been "6 months sober", I get the feeling that's how long he's been without "The Punisher" part of him driving him. He's "coping" with it, trying to resist it...

... But it's too much. The wicked around him is too great and too strong. He "falls of the wagon" and buys his drink; he's not going to be "sober" about this anymore. So he goes right back into the role he never wanted but knows he must embrace; to punish the wicked.

He tried to ignore it. Tried to let the world just do its thing without him. Even the gas station guy says it's futile, not worth trying. And I bet Frank agreed with him... until he decides enough is enough. Throw self-preservation to the wind; buy a bottle of Jack and have at it.

That feels like The Punisher to me. Not just a vigilante, not just a man who fights crime but is more brutal than Batman. Punisher is a man struggling with his own feelings of guilt, remorse, anger, and justice.

"Do you know what the difference is between justice and punishment?"

In regards to this fan film, Tom Jane's brand of PUNISHMENT does JUSTICE to the character.

Karavision

Oct 13, 2011
People are obviously entitled to their opinions and I am not here to insult anyone for them but, do you guys just like Thomas Jane as Punisher, visually? Do you like his version of Punisher as opposed to the comic version?

I can understand feeling that Warzone was shitty as a movie. Makes perfect sense, but when you have one guy who falls into a deep friendship with a group of misfits in his apartment building and then has to gradually get to the point where he can kill and torture and then have a guy who kills those he deems as evil without remorse, lives in a sewer and yet has a moral code that makes him feel responsible for the family of an undercover Agent that he accidentally kills; you are dealing with two different characters.

One of those characters has very little to do with the twisted Vietnam vet in the comics. I spent the whole movie waiting for this guy to become the Punisher while he improved all of these people's lives in a very after school special manner.