Rumor: British Piracy Rates Unaffected by Pirate Bay Ban

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Rumor: British Piracy Rates Unaffected by Pirate Bay Ban

Rumor has it that illegal download rates haven't changed at all since The Pirate Bay was banned in the UK.

When the British high courts ruled in favor of imposing a ban on peer-to-peer file sharing site The Pirate Bay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115923-The-Pirate-Bay-Faces-U-K-Blockade] in the UK a few months back, onlookers were unsure as to how effective an anti-piracy measure the ban would prove to be. Now, we have something that looks like the start of an answer: An anonymous Internet Service Provider (ISP) has revealed that the block has had pretty much no effect on internet-based pirate activities in the UK.

Speaking to the BBC on condition of anonymity, a source from within a "major" ISP told of how the ban's initial impact quickly wore off. "We saw a fall at the time of the block," said the mysterious source.

"[The drop was] made more dramatic by the increasing amount of such traffic in the weeks leading up to it...but volumes are already pretty much back to where they were before," it concluded.

The source is said to have stressed that the ISP in question measures download traffic based on how much P2P activity is going on, rather than by counting individual users. With that in mind, it remains possible that the resurgence in P2P activity could be nothing more than a mark of "hardcore" downloaders indulging in a little more piracy than they did before.

Loz Kaye, head of the UK Pirate Party [http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/] (a political party that exists to defend the "digital rights" of British citizens) doesn't sound very surprised. "We've always said that blocking is an ineffective method," he said. "It's not in any way productive. Anyone who knows anything about how the internet works can get around it."

However, the body that proposed and championed the ban, the British Phonographic Institute [http://www.bpi.co.uk/] (BPI; a group that protects the rights of recording artists in the UK), isn't about to give up on its dream of a piracy-free Britain. "We'll take further steps to deal with illegal sites that line their pockets by ripping off everyone who makes the music we enjoy," said the group's head, Geoff Taylor. "We recognize there is more to do to reduce illegal P2P use overall."

While this news is hardly surprising (as a customer of a "major British ISP," I can personally confirm that a wide array of P2P sites are still available to British internet users) it does call into question how exactly bodies like the BPI intend to eradicate piracy. Although The Pirate Bay is nowhere near as popular as it once was, even it remains accessible through a proxy server set up by the UK Pirate Party. So where from here? A never ending game of cat-and-mouse that runs on the words "drink up me hearties, yo-ho," or friendlier steps towards an understanding between consumers and creators as regards the appropriate price for their products? It's too early in the week for this, Escapists. Give me a hand.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18833060]

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Unless the internet is controlled by the Government, "solving" this "problem" isn't very plausible.

Not to mention this news isn't surprising. Did they really think PB is the only fish in the sea? The fact they saw a dip is more surprising to me than anything.

The

Jan 24, 2012
DTWolfwood said:
Unless the internet is controlled by the Government, "solving" this "problem" isn't very plausible.

Not to mention this news isn't surprising. Did they really think PB is the only fish in the sea? The fact they saw a dip is more surprising to me than anything.
You can ban one website, but you can't ban them all.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
And no one with any sense was surprised.
Horay for ineffective censorship.
Trample on rights for failed targets, huzzah.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
cerebus23 said:
proxy servers anyone? :p
Don't even need it, you can just use one of the many IPs the Pirate Bay has, they've only blocked the domain and PB has said they fully intend to play a game of whack a mole where if ISPs ban an IP and they spring up new ones.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I used to pirate music but then I got Spotify and pay £10 a month to have full access to all the songs I want when I want. Services like that are ideal and I think the best way to reduce piracy is to make things like that more readily available.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Because laws on murder, rape and theft have failed stop the afore mentioned crimes therefore we should legalise them. Name me one law that has reduced the named crime to zero. Laws against murder have existed for at least 4000 years yet murder is committed with regularity.

The law isn't about stopping things, its about saying that certain actions are against the collective good and those that commit them should suffer consequences. So quite frankly I don't care if the pirate bay keeps changing its ip, it should be unequivocally denounced as a bunch of thieving scumbags. If they manage to work a way round the law in the short term so be it, but I don't see why piracy should be made easy.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
This gif sums things up rather nicely (Replace 'DRM' with 'Ban'):

If someone wants to pirate they'll find a way to do it and everyone else isn't even going to bother with it in the first place so the ban is a pointless waste of time and resources.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
An anonymous Internet Service Provider
a anonymous source tips off the news that it hasn't done a thing, they say harshes laws are needed, the new laws get introduced, a anonymous source tips them off, cycle continues untill there's nothing but a government run internet left.

i highly doubt this anonymous source is legitimate anyways.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well what a surprise, it is almost like trying to block websites was a complete waste of the governments time.

captcha: square one. Quite apt captcha.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Ya, the dam thief's (that is what the people who download illegally are) just switch sites. I hate to say this, I hated it when the RIAA and MPAA did it, I think it is time to start suing the individuals downloading illegally. I know there will be some creative criminals who will use the "grandma's gambit" where they frame an innocent old lady too make the IP owners look stupid, but what does that say about the criminals here. "We are so set on stealing that we will frame our own Grandmother to do it".

I swear these criminals are sick, twisted, bastards, who need to be jailed. 1 day per offense. 1000 songs/1000 days in jail (3 years for those bad at math). 3 days for movies (they take longer too make and cost more).

I want a world where I can make something and not have it stolen. I want a world where if it takes 100 people to make an album, that all should get paid for their work.

DOWN WITH THE PIRATES, LONG LIVE FREEDOM TOO CREATE.

EDIT: I have answered the question half a dozen times now. Read some of my responses to this thread your argument has probably been answered. If not, I will debate it then. MUHAAAHAHAAA

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Protip: Treat piracy as a competitor, being a pirate isn't necessarily convenient. Steam has the right idea.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
As soon as I found I couldnt use pirate bay I actually googled again and found another [undisclosed] source that was actually more reliable, more user friendly and actually encouraged me to pirate more because they made it so easy, it had the opposite effect!

A few months ago i bought a CD and i found I had to download some mp3 convertor if I wanted to bypass the DRM and back up the CD to my hard drive (because cds scratch easy and everything is on my iPod anyway), i also found that all my itunes purchases could no longer be re-downloaded which I am assuming is due to DRM...after that, I thought fuck it! next time i wont bother...now I pirate all my music because I can have the files for the rest of my life, hassle free

I realise though I shouldnt be getting stuff for free and soon my bubble will burst, but its the record labels that make it so paying full price and buying legit is an absolute chore!

I dont pirate games btw, steam means i dont have to

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
Gilhelmi said:
Ya, the dam thief's (that is what the people who download illegally are) just switch sites. I hate to say this, I hated it when the RIAA and MPAA did it, I think it is time to start suing the individuals downloading illegally. I know there will be some creative criminals who will use the "grandma's gambit" where they frame an innocent old lady too make the IP owners look stupid, but what does that say about the criminals here. "We are so set on stealing that we will frame our own Grandmother to do it".

I swear these criminals are sick, twisted, bastards, who need to be jailed. 1 day per offense. 1000 songs/1000 days in jail (3 years for those bad at math). 3 days for movies (they take longer too make and cost more).

I want a world where I can make something and not have it stolen. I want a world where if it takes 100 people to make an album, that all should get paid for their work.

DOWN WITH THE PIRATES, LONG LIVE FREEDOM TOO CREATE.
I hope you are trolling...

Okay, did you ever consider that what you are "creating" is not worth paying for?

Who's fault is that?

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Hilarity unbound is what this is.

Make all the stupid laws you want. Trample of freedom til your face turns blue. You will never stop piracy.