Gearbox CEO: Duke Nukem Forever Is "Exactly Like Half-Life 2"

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Gearbox CEO: Duke Nukem Forever Is "Exactly Like Half-Life 2"

Randy Pitchford stands by his 2011 statements that Duke Nukem Forever is "awesome".

It's been over a year since the long-awaited Duke Nukem Forever finally reached gaming platforms after 15 years of development, where it promptly received <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8949-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Review>one of the most widespread critical pannings our community has ever seen. Perhaps no one was caught more off guard by the reviews than Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford, who at the time, said the last game he'd enjoyed as much as DNF was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114008-Gearbox-Claims-Reviewers-Were-Unfair-Toward-Duke-Nukem-Forever>none other than Half-Life 2. In fact, Pitchford recently told Eurogamer that he not only fully stands by his Half-Life 2 comparison from last year, he believes that from a gameplay perspective, the two titles are identical.

"I don't know if you've played Duke Nukem Forever. It's awesome," Pitchford said. "And it occurred to me, the pacing was exactly like Half-Life 2, where the game would get me in a puzzle space and I would be confined there until I worked out what the components of the puzzle space are. It's basically a linear, narrative experience, but the puzzles are derived from the environment. It's not just 'shoot the guy' ... It's almost identical, beat for beat in terms of its gameplay pacing, to Half-Life. "

Pitchford is correct in saying that Duke Nukem Forever has puzzles (they even directly parody Half-Life developer Valve at one point), but the idea that those puzzles are core gameplay elements comparable to those from Half-Life is something many reviewers would have a difficult time accepting. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8949-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Review.2>Our own DNF review makes a single mention of puzzles, and that was a specific reference to first-person jumping sections. Valve, on the other hand, has avoided jumping sections since the Xen chapters from the original Half-Life.

To Pitchford, a lot of the resentment over the game can be attributed to a combination of high expectations and low-brow humor. "It might be like saying, hey, The Hangover is the exact same movie as Citizen Kane," Pitchford continued. "I thought [The Hangover] was a very entertaining movie and really well constructed from the point of view of how such a narrative can be constructed. But because of its base humor, because of its a pretty easy formula to do and the jokes are really low, it's really difficult, especially for those of us who really wish all video games be elevated into this really high art form."

I'm not going to disagree with Pitchford in saying that lowbrow entertainment is still entertainment. I can even agree that certain game elements worked well, such as the ability to interact with level setpieces like urinals, pool tables, and that big whiteboard. That said, level design doesn't seem to be the quality upon which Duke Nukem Forever defined itself. From a design perspective, Duke Nukem 3D is just as playable today as it was in 1996, while DNF was considered out-of-date the instant it was released. Where Pitchford sees the videogame equivalent of The Hangover, the gaming community more likely sees DNF as The Hangover 2.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-13-duke-nukem-forever-a-discussion-with-randy-pitchford>Eurogamer

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Having shelled out 60 bucks for that turd on release out of some sort of misguided sado-maschoicism and my perpetual self loathing, I can assure you they are -NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING THE SAME GAME-

it would be correct to say that Half-Life 2 is like Duke Nukem 3d, however, since DN3D set alot of the design beats that Half-life would later follow.

This man is in denial, pure and simple. That game was abysmal. The humor was sour, the gunplay was lackluster, and the set peices were underwhelming, and it was quite frankly a critical misuse of Jon St.Johns voice.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I can only assume he means it plays like a game that should have been released eight years ago. And in that case I'd have to agree with him. ;)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Huh. I know that he kind of has his arm twisted when the game comes out. When you release a new game you have to say good things about it to bring up sales after all, but I don't know why he would continue with those claims. The game was released a while ago and by this point he can admit that it has faults and isn't the best thing ever. Weird.

Leon's Hell

Dec 20, 2009
I thought it was more like the first Half-Life only in the sense that it had more jumping puzzles. Also, why bring this back up, surely there isn't any reason to mention DNF again and remind people how bad it was a few months before Borderlands 2 is released. Possibly making them not want a game made by developers that had their name attached to DNF.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Sure, and on a certain level Half-Life and Daikatana are also "almost identical", but the devil is in the details.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Dear Randy Pitchford, good comedy is hard, really really hard. I have played DNF, so I know you have no idea how hard comedy is, or ideed, what good comedy is. I don't remember Duke3d being a funny game, I remember it beong fun...but not funny. Leave comedy in games to funny people who know what they are doing, you just stick to what ever it is you are good at. Which is ruining classic IPs I guess.

Seriously what the fuck are you thinking using the Brothers in Arms IP for borderlands WW2?

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
half life 2 was released in 2004 dnf was released in 2011,

I think ive made my point.

But i will expand anyways, even if dnf is so close to hl2 as he puts it (i haven't played dnf so i wouldn't know, but i highly doubt it is) that's not a good thing. Things that were new and exiting in 2004 are old hat today.

In not sure i worded that one right but hell.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
LOLWUT? That's so laughable it's actually not funny anymore. Is that even possible?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
He's going to regret that when the server drops a pile of dog food on his plate and says "it's exactly like the Prime Rib."

=y

May 11, 2012
Oh wow, really?

Really?

Okay then, let me know how those purple cows in your world taste Mr. Pitchford.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, yes, your misogynistic, unfunny and unpleasant mess of a game is just like the game that gave us an iconic female character, had well judged atmosphere, a smattering of humour and which was carefully tuned and re-tuned (to the point of absurdity) til it reached out and touched a lot of people.

I'm really seeing your point.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
The comment that Duke Nukem Forever is exactly like Half-Life 2 is funnier than anything actually in Duke Nukem Forever.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking as someone who didn't find DNF that bad, Pitchford, they are similar yes. Shooting and puzzling are what makes up the gameplay in both games, except Half Life does it well while Duke Nukem does not as well.

Examples:

Half Life 2 had many weapon slots and health meters, which encourage tactical play while simultaneously satisfying the player with a wide choice of weapons at his disposal.

Duke Nukem Forever had 2 weapon slots (Patched to 4 now, but let's count it at release) and regenerating health, which means the player can not utilise the variety of weapons availabe at any time and can beat the game easily so long as he can take cover long enough to get all his health back, which is easy.

Half Life 2 has puzzles that use an innovative physics engine and logic, such as connecting and disconnecting power sources from a circuit, see saws (A lot of them), and picking up cans.

Duke Nukem Forever has jumping puzzles, which are made annoying by Duke's same, grating grunts and lumbering, clumsy body and puzzles that involve entirely of turning cranks until you can proceed.

Half Life 2 has well rounded characters, superb animation to compliment them and great writing.

Duke Nukem Forever has bland characters with no personality besides a gimmick each, and the most annoying "buddy" character ever who tries and fails to be a parody of Marcus Fenix by being stupidly annoying, animations that have people not even looking at you despite talking and supposedly pointing at you, and writing which has a few good lines, but also has Duke joking about two girls being raped.

Half Life 2 looked great when it came out.

Duke Nukem Forever looks worse than Half Life 2.

Are we clear now Gearbox?

Stop looking for Calumon, Gearbox needs to know if we're clear.