Fragrance Company Aims to Capture the Scent of Videogames

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Fragrance Company Aims to Capture the Scent of Videogames

Mega Man is the first game character to receive a personalized aroma.

While many real-world occurances - hearing a cell phone start making Epic-Scents [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3v1B_aXw0] to create a range of smells designed to reflect our favorite game characters, starting with Mega Man and Proto Man.

For those of you thinking, "Hold up, Mega Man probably doesn't smell that great," don't worry. The scents involved will be aimed more towards evoking the characteristics of our heroes, rather than their straight-up scents.

"We really want gamers to know that we are making a fragrance that is an experience of who that character is," said Jim Kavanaugh, Epic-Scents project director, in an interview with Polygon. "We're not saying this is what Mega Man the metal robot smells like, this is a fragrance that expresses him."

Kavanaugh said that a vital part of the scent development process was asking gamers what three (as most perfumes are composed of three overlapping "notes," specific smells that work together well) primary characteristics they associate with Mega Man and Proto Man. For Mega Man, gamers identified purity, masculinity, and bravery. In his scent - named "Cool Rush" - these traits are reflected by the pure whiff of a tropical breeze, the manly essence of musk, and the stinging bravery of citrus, respectively.

"There are strong ties between memories and fragrance," Kavanaugh said. "We want to tie that fragrance to that character, when you use our air fresheners you will remember the nostalgia of playing that game."

Epic-Scents acquired the right to tie the scents directly to Mega Man and Proto Man from Capcom itself, and say that the publisher will have an advisory role over the resulting perfumes. At the moment, this is the only such deal on the perfumers' books, though they say they hope to expand their range in the future. Kavanaugh noted that the group is always looking for input from gamers, so if you've got a specific character you'd like to sniff immortalized in aroma, give them a shout.

Source: Polygon [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/16/3162358/is-this-the-smell-of-your-favorite-video-game]

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
HellsingerAngel said:
I think I speak for everyone when I say: why is there a picture of X when this is talking about MegaMan?
Thank you.

This idea is so insane it can't possibly go anywhere but up in flames... and yet I still have to applaud them. This took balls of a caliber most scales are not designed to weigh. I can't honestly say I'll buy it, but if I run across it I pretty much have to give an obligatory sniff. This is just too odd to ignore.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
HellsingerAngel said:
I think I speak for everyone when I say: why is there a picture of X when this is talking about MegaMan?
Always annoying when people get lore wrong, reminds me of the time someone thought Warhammer 40K meant there was 40,000 Space Marines. Still hard to blame them when there so many diffrent versions now, at least they chose one that was an actual robot and not one of the digital Megas.

Hevva

Aug 2, 2011
HellsingerAngel said:
Duly noted, and thank you. Will fix presently.

In the meantime, let's all take a moment to remember this, and how much worse things might have been:

Hevva

Aug 2, 2011
Tenmar said:
Hevva said:
HellsingerAngel said:
Duly noted, and thank you. Will fix presently.

In the meantime, let's all take a moment to remember this, and how much worse things might have been:

insert picture of USA Mega Man 1 cover art
What, you could roll with that as a picture. It is a legitimate artistic rendition of Mega man. I mean it was the artwork for the USA version of mega man and was meant to be the artwork style. Even Mega Man 2 had a similar style.

I dunno dude. For some reason I have a really hard time associating that guy with anything that doesn't smell like crap makeup and pencil shavings.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
How do you make a scent that results in feelings of abandonment and betrayal? How do you make a scent that makes you feel like some jackasses just unfairly blamed you for the cancellation of a game that isn't even remotely close to being your fault? Okay, that second one is Legends rather than classic Mega Man, but I don't care, because those feelings are what Mega Man is these days: a string of Capcom shitting on fans. And that's not a fragrance I want to smell.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
They should make a COD one! I always wanted to know what rage and racism smells like. Or how about an amnesia one? Smells like urine, feces, and alchohal.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
When I think of the scent of Videogames, the smell of an NES cartridge comes to mind.

*sniff* Aaaaah....good old games.

RainingCobalt

Nov 10, 2010
I'm fairly certain there are already some video game character perfumes out there..

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-3m-49-en-70-3uu2.html

While Sephiroth or Cloud perfume still sounds hideously wrong, at least it makes a bit more sense than Mega Man.

Ekim Takusan

Nov 13, 2010

This is what I thought of when I read the title. The combination for Mega Man sounds alright, I suppose, probably smells better then most colognes and body sprays out on the market. Look on the bright side it might make convention halls smell better.

They should make one that captures a really dark villain like Albert Wesker, I imagine using bergamot would be good... hmm I should send that in.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
kajinking said:
Always annoying when people get lore wrong, reminds me of the time someone thought Warhammer 40K meant there was 40,000 Space Marines. Still hard to blame them when there so many diffrent versions now, at least they chose one that was an actual robot and not one of the digital Megas.
Sorry, but that made me snicker. =P