Soon, You'll Play Xbox Games With Your iPhone

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Soon, You'll Play Xbox Games With Your iPhone

Microsoft filed a new patent for a "virtual controller".

Microsoft's big splash at this year's E3 was SmartGlass which they pimped as the ability to control your Xbox using peripherals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117609-E3-Xbox-Smart-Glass-Brings-Xbox-and-iPads-Together] you already own like iPads, other tablets or smartphones. The press conference showed Joe Madden calling plays in Madden as a way for SmartGlass to enhance games you play with your controller. But a new patent dug up today suggests there might be more to SmartGlass than just neat ways to control your Xbox dashboard or to watch Netflix movies; you may not even need the old controller anymore. The figures and descriptions for a "virtual controller" appear to ape the accoutrements of the standard Xbox controller on any kind of device. Soon, you may be able to play games on your Xbox using whatever device you have in front of you at the time.

[gallery=836]

The patent description states "the virtual controller implements a Microsoft Xbox virtual controller." Well, that makes it clear.

From the images it is possible to deduce that Microsoft wants us to interact with the Xbox using whatever device is available to consumers, regardless if it is made by Microsoft or not. Adopting an open system strategy for the Xbox might be the final push that will ensure the next version of the console completes the transition from "gaming box" to "home entertainment system".

The similarity to the Wii U Gamepad isn't an accident, either. On the off chance that Nintendo's experiment with asynchronous play being the next big thing in gaming, Microsoft has a platform to deliver those goods too.

Now, be aware these are just patent documents and not a complete strategy, but looking at the whole picture of Kinect, SmartGlass, the update to the My Xbox Live app on Apple's store [http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-xbox-live/id480914036?mt=8] and Microsoft is positioned extremely well for the next generation.

Source: PatentBolt [http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/07/microsoft-reveals-xbox-virtual-controls-coming-to-tablets.html]

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Yes, because I'd love to play the next version of Arkham Asylum or BioShock with a touchscreen with no physical controls.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Seems that so far all the attempts to copy the WiiU have been terribly misguided.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom

No. Do not want. Even if I only use my consoles for exclusives now, I sure as hell don't want to play exclusives like this.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Broken Blade said:
Yes, because I'd love to play the next version of Arkham Asylum or BioShock with a touchscreen with no physical controls.
Please! EVERYONE knows motion controls are way of the future.
Until it becomes like Tony Starks lab computer, ill continue to deny it with every ounce of strength i can spare from maintaining my stupor while a friend plays through FFXIII within earshot.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
I wonder why they would do this...
It's clearly not an attempt to enhance the gaming experience. Almost seems like the opposite.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Let me guess - you'll get it for free on Microsoft powered phones, but you'll have to pay for Xbox live in order to actually connect via the net instead of a local network. For non Microsoft products they will charge you for the application, and you'll have to pay for the Xbox live subscription in order to use it via the net. There won't be any real support on any non microsoft platform, and the system will bug out more often than work.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
"the ability to control your Xbox using peripherals you already own"

Too bad they gimped my Forza experience by denying me the ability to use my G25 steering wheel with the xbox360. Still a bit pissed about that. Oh but I could pay an extra $600+ bucks to wait an undisclosed amount of time to get ANOTHER steering wheel of loosely comparable quality and features to have a decent driving experience. Like I don't already own enough f'n steering wheels.

But now I'll be able to use my iphone? Yawn.

A little too late and misguided, MS, but thanks for making Forza's peripheral situation a garbage, consumer-unfriendly one.

mechman123

Nov 6, 2006
Its a nice idea and all, but Will they actually use it? I'm actually surprised they hadn't don't something like this already. Going back to the Xbox360 announcement, they talked about some features that seem like precursors to this idea, but never went through with them. Oh well we shall see.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
It's hard enough to control games on the Iphone. Why would I want to control and ACTUAL game with it?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
It's hard enough to control games on the Iphone. Why would I want to control and ACTUAL game with it?
because wait........ why did not they think of that?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Broken Blade said:
Pretty much this. Now I'll admit, there are some impressive games for smartphones these day's but there's no way you can play a full blown game like that on a touchscreen without physical controls.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Id much prefer the "gaming box" thank you very much
the future of gaming was supposed to be bright but were in dark times and its only geting worse.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I refuse to play games on something with a monitor smaller than the circumference of my head.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I already control my xbox using a peripheral I already own.

It's called the xbox controller. Works just fine.

But maybe I'm being too old-fashioned here.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Touch screens are not nearly as precise as regular button control, and for that reason, I'll be passing on these sorts of apps, barring the Halo one that would be used only for checking out stats or joining games.

Actual gameplay is not for touchscreen bullshit.