Vehicles Dominate Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Trailer

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Vehicles Dominate Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Trailer

Though Battlefield 4 was unexpectedly announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118523-Battlefield-4-Announced-in-Medal-of-Honor-Warfighter-Trailer] earlier this week, EA wants to remind gamers that there's plenty of content yet to come for Battlefield 3. The publisher's latest trailer shows off the Armored Kill expansion pack, which adds new vehicles, a new gameplay mode, and the largest map in Battlefield history.

Among the new vehicles are ATVs, mobile artillery, and tanks, which is appropriate considering the added Tank Superiority gameplay mode. The snowy Alborz Mountain and sandy Bandar Desert maps can also be found in the video, with the latter being the largest map in Battlefield history.

The expansion will be released in September for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. It will be followed by Battlefield 3: Aftermath in December and Battlefield 3: End Game in March of next year. Of course, Battlefield 3 Premium members will get access to all three expansions two weeks early, so if you've plunked down that one-time $49.99 fee, you can enjoy the tank mayhem before everyone else.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Its looks so cool! Pity I saw a lot of teamwork in that trailer. That almost never happens online.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I stopped playing Battlefield 3 when I realized that constantly dying and loosing thanks to horribly imbalanced teams (rare was the server where a battle was almost 50/50 and could go either way) wasn't very fun.

But when I saw this I could only think of one think: I can't wait to see what BirgirPall will do with this expansion pack. The potential for hilarious trolling is great in this one.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Looks good, but, I think I'll pass. Borderlands 2 will be out or coming out soon at that point (didn't give specific date, only "September").

I'm sure I'll be able to see it all over youtube. :)

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
So... no all air map or game variant? Well that's disappointing, especially since in regular server games it takes hours to unlock anything since vets can easily not die from simple cannon fire.

Might still pick it up though :l

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Ok anyone besides me get weird memories of the Skyrim map when you saw the Snow level from the air? I know that desert map is the big one but I get the feeling I'll like the Tundra map more just because I'll feel like I'm driving around Skyrim in a Tank (Is that a mod yet?)

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
It's nice to see some chilly snow and ice again. BF2142 and BC2 had some wonderful maps set in ice cold environments, but BF3 has been lacking in that aspect so far. Hoping that Battlefield 4 will be a sequel to 2142, frosty future-tech destructible maps on the Frostbite 2 engine? oh goody.

Mar 7, 2012
You know, I hate EA. I hate EA a lot and I refuse to buy this, but this is actually kinda awesome.

Now I just wish it had the Dust 514 structure where you can specialize in vehicles and drive any vehicle you like any time you like. But you have to accept the extra costs of driving vehicles.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Best advice for Battlefield 3 Armored Kill? Get tired quickly.
Im not gonna lie, Im quite enarmored by this trailer.
...That sounded better in my head.

bimon_1234567

Mar 15, 2012
Funny to see a game developer pushing the Stryker MGS (as a "tank destroyer" no less LOL), when in reality the brasshats have stealthily removed the whole faulty platform from duty in the main theaters.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
This pretty cool, and driving tanks is what im best at in BF3. Buuuuut I dont think I will bother. Waiting for Planetside2 seems like a better idea.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
bimon_1234567 said:
Funny to see a game developer pushing the Stryker MGS (as a "tank destroyer" no less LOL), when in reality the brasshats have stealthily removed the whole faulty platform from duty in the main theaters.
Another example of making concessions to reality in the name of gameplay. They wanted to put in a new class, and the Stryker type vehicle was probably the best fit. It had to be something used by the US to keep in with the Marines theme too, so that limited the choice. The only nations I can think of from the top of my head who manufacture proper-job tank destroyers are Sweden, Germany and Russia. But for gameplay purposes it's been made as a TD so it "fits" in the vehicle hierarchy somewhere that most players without any in-depth knowledge of military operations will understand.

Personally, I think a better pair would have been the BMD-4M against the Stryker and call them what they are - infantry support platforms. Make maps that focus on the use of IFV's (ie biggish maps with no tanks and limited/no air). But the Stryker is probably the closest thing the US has to the 2S25 in terms of size and firepower, and for most players that will be good enough.

What I would like to see though, is the option to replace either tanks or LAV's with Strykers on custom servers. Seine Crossing or Tehran Highway with the tanks replaced by M1128's? Yes please!

I still think AK is going to be pretty damn fun though. I'm really looking forward to it, and there's apparently a new game mode called Tank Superiority that sounds like it could be brilliant.

bimon_1234567

Mar 15, 2012
srm79 said:
Personally, I think a better pair would have been the BMD-4M against the Stryker and call them what they are - infantry support platforms. Make maps that focus on the use of IFV's (ie biggish maps with no tanks and limited/no air).
That sounds like an excellent idea.