Pre-Orders Boost Ni no Kuni "Wizard's Edition"

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Pre-Orders Boost Ni no Kuni "Wizard's Edition"

Namco Bandai will add a new item to the RPG's bundle for each tier of copies bought.

Pre-order bundles, one of developers' tactics to increase revenue and tempt gamers into buying games early, are usually pretty straightforward. The bundle has this book or that exclusive DLC, and you pay the extra money based on the upfront bonuses. Namco Bandai is bucking that trend, however, by offering more bonuses in the "Wizard's Edition" bundle of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch when more people pre-order it in the US.

The $99 pre-order bundle already includes a 300-page "Wizard's Companion" hardcover book, which details some of the enemies and lore of the game, plus exclusive DLC and a plushie of one of the characters, Drippy. Namco hasn't elaborated on what the extra bonuses will be, but it will add them to the bundle when the pre-order numbers reach certain tiers. The company is calling the incentive "Ninostarter."

[gallery=838]

Namco keeps track of pre-orders for the Wizard's Edition by requiring players to buy the game from its Club Namco [http://store.namcobandaigames.com/store/namcous/DisplayHomePage?resid=UAdcowoBAlYAAGVTZSoAAABX&rests=1342659747697] website. This is less convenient for players who might want to pick up their copies from a brick-and-mortar store, but it does allow more accurate record-keeping by eliminating potential communication issues with retailers. The Ninostarter program runs until the end of August.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/19/expand-the-ni-no-kuni-collectors-edition-by-pre-ordering]

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
That's actually pretty clever. Adding incentives for all their potential customers to preorder is a good idea: certainly much better than the "order at X to get Y" preorder bullcrap that's popular right now.

Now if only people would put out demos earlier so that customers would know whether or not they WANT to preorder...

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
So you figure what... 60 bucks for the game, 10 bucks for a dlc, 10 bucks for a plush, 10 bucks for a book... 10 bucks for pork... it's not bad I suppose. The wife wants this thing, the kid's can fight over the toy, and the book can help hold the shelf down... pretty tempting...

RedMagic

Feb 16, 2011
That's a really nice incentive. It gives potential buyers an incentive to pre-order so that the rewards will be greater.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Must have this game!!!

But I can't afford to shell out that much money for it . . .

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I want, but I don't 'do' online shopping when I can get it for the same price offline.

Also:
I'd while I'm GITTY over Studio Ghibli being part of a game's creation...
Well, I've had my heart broken one too many times this gen when it comes to JRPGs.

Marak Daga

Feb 1, 2012
After seeing my fiancee play the japanese version im looking forward to playing this one so i went to the site, added to cart... and they only offer delivery to america? FML....

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
scotth266 said:
Now if only people would put out demos earlier so that customers would know whether or not they WANT to preorder...
Thank you! Exactly this!

See, I've been awfully tempted to get games on Day 1 release, but I never do because as awesome as the game might look, I don't know if it will be worth it (See: Brink). Recently, I would have bought Lollipop Chainsaw right away and get the pre-order bonuses if I had been able to play at least a demo (For free) at the time.
Right now, I'm hesitant about getting both Resident Evil 6 and Metal Gear Rising because of similar reasons and the only way I can play those demos is if I get both Dragon's Dogma and ZoE:HD; two good games that I'm not as interested in as the games they're teasing us about.

Gimme more demos and you can have my money, companies. I'll be glad to pre-order a game and get the freebies if I know what I'm buying. Or are you trying to hide the fact that your game sucks? (See: Brink, again).

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Marak Daga said:
After seeing my fiancee play the japanese version im looking forward to playing this one so i went to the site, added to cart... and they only offer delivery to america? FML....
Sadly, yes, this is a US-only promotion. The bundle was actually first announced for Europe, but it doesn't seem to be on sale there yet.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
i want it because Studio Ghibli

but i am also meh because I tend to dislike jrpgs ..

but I tend to like namco's games ...

but i don't want most of that stuff just the game and the book..

arrgg

Marak Daga

Feb 1, 2012
kitsuta said:
Marak Daga said:
Sadly, yes, this is a US-only promotion. The bundle was actually first announced for Europe, but it doesn't seem to be on sale there yet.
I was speaking to some mates at work, were going to use a service to deliver the game to a location in the US then get it sent to us in aus :D Still bloody annoying though!

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
The Ninostarter program runs until the end of August.
August... they're really expecting the gamer demographic to come up with $100 to blow on a single game by the end of next month.

Some of us have student loans and car payments to make.

I like the idea, but because it's US only, online only and we only have a month to come up with the extra cash, I don't see the program working too well.

Edit: You can see the progress bar to each goal here.
http://www.ninostarter.com/goals

They're only 35% to goal number one.
Doesn't look like this is gonna go well.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Eclpsedragon said:
The Ninostarter program runs until the end of August.
August... they're really expecting the gamer demographic to come up with $100 to blow on a single game by the end of next month.

Some of us have student loans and car payments to make.

I like the idea, but because it's US only, online only and we only have a month to come up with the extra cash, I don't see the program working too well.

Edit: You can see the progress bar to each goal here.
http://www.ninostarter.com/goals

They're only 35% to goal number one.
Doesn't look like this is gonna go well.
I think, based on the name "Ninostarter," Namco is patterning this a bit after the mega-popular Kickstarter phenomenon. According to Kickstarter's FAQ, "statistically, projects lasting 30 days or less have our highest success rates." It might not apply so well here because of the sheer cost, but I think that's where Namco's getting its cues from.

Also, I'm pretty sure the sale only started yesterday, so 2500 orders in a single day isn't too bad. It may taper off quickly, though.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
kitsuta said:
Also, I'm pretty sure the sale only started yesterday, so 2500 orders in a single day isn't too bad. It may taper off quickly, though.
It went on sale the beginning of this month.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Well, this is certainly an interesting and much better way of getting people to pre-order. Incentivizing day one purchases rather than punishing those who don't by stripping shit out for used copies?

I would really love to support this style of getting people to pre-order games but this sodding thing is a US only promotion..

BAH.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
BBboy20 said:
kitsuta said:
It went on sale the beginning of this month.
Ah, I see. That's a lot different. In that case, it's a bit odd that Namco set the goals so high.