Ouya Announces Its First Exclusive Game

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Ouya Announces Its First Exclusive Game

Ouya readies its Android SDK for eager developers worldwide.

Things are certainly looking up for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118375-Update-Open-Source-Android-Console-Fully-Funded-with-1-Million>for the Android Ouya console. The team's Kickstarter project raised over a million dollars on its very first day, and is now sitting at over $5.1 million with days to spare. It's an incredibly promising start, but as console producers like Nintendo were recently reminded, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111356-Nintendo-Messed-Up-3DS-Launch-Says-Analyst>the success of a console is based on its games, not a hardware sales pitch. The Ouya team is well aware of this, and has begun steps to make the platform accessible for developers before launch. Project Lead Julie Uhrman has even managed to secure a launch title: an Ouya-exclusive prequel to Robotoki's Human Element which will launch in advance of versions planned for other systems.

"Human Element, in 2015 when it releases, actually takes place 35 years after [the zombie apocalypse] has occurred," Bowling explains in a Kickstarter update, "but we thought it would be exciting to give you a glimpse a little early ... So what we're going to do is we're going to work with the Ouya team, and bring you an exclusive, episodic look at the world as it develops and collapses over the course of the event happening."

The news of an Ouya exclusive isn't a huge surprise to backers, who were made aware via previous updates that an SDK is already in the works. Ouya's SDK is based on the pre-existing Android development kit, with additional features allowing developers to promote their games and charge customers.

The PC and next-gen console version of Human Element will be an open-world survival game. Players will design a character using a combination of class and identity profiles that determine not just how players can engage zombies, but how they can engage their surroundings and other NPCs. Bowling also plans for mobile versions of the game that will <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118302-Human-Element-to-Use-Real-World-Resource-Gathering>deal more specifically with resource management. Bowling has yet to confirm what genre the Ouya-exclusive version of Human Element will follow, but adds that the prequel will present "some of the survival scenarios and elements" planned for the full game.

Bowling isn't just supporting Ouya with an upcoming game, he's also a major backer of the console itself. According to the update, Bowling has personally pledged $10,000 to the project, an honor credited to only six backers in the Kickstarter rewards page.

Source: <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts>Kickstarter

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
£10k? That's devotion. Should be interesting to see how this project turns out, especially with $5mil to use considering the console has been finalised.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
An open world zombie survival horror game? Color me intrigued. May not be the most original concept but hell as long as its good who cares? Well I guess there are people who do care, but I don't.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
WOOO Slow down there Bowling. A zombie survival horror game? You wouldn't want the release of a new original console to be marked with too much inovation now would you?
They probably want something that will sell.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Hell this should be good times.
The release set of games looks stable and the console itself looks appealing.

Now then. A open world survival horror game. I don't think we actually have one of those. Yeah we have survival horror. And we have open world. I don't think we have a good mesh of the two.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Croaker42 said:
Hell this should be good times.
The release set of games looks stable and the console itself looks appealing.

Now then. A open world survival horror game. I don't think we actually have one of those. Yeah we have survival horror. And we have open world. I don't think we have a good mesh of the two.
Try playing Fallout 3 on the highest difficulty, no power armour, no HUD, no followers (save dogmeat) and no radio. Its scared the piss out of me quite a few times.

OT: So excited for this, I'm going to try and get one a launch.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
WOOO Slow down there Bowling. A zombie survival horror game? You wouldn't want the release of a new original console to be marked with too much inovation now would you?
They probably want something that will sell.
I thought the whole point of the Ouya was that all games on the system are free-to-play? Wasn't that one of the major things in the sales pitch on the Kickstarter page?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
They took a term from the zombie horror genre and make into a title, you guys smart. :| Thanks for fucking-up the filing cabinet.

This game stinks. Exclusives? Cheap, over done genre? Grittiness? Sounds like a cash cow milking game. What's next, multi-player? brown coffee filters? DLC?
Sp3ratus said:
I thought the whole point of the Ouya was that all games on the system are free-to-play? Wasn't that one of the major things in the sales pitch on the Kickstarter page?
It says that the games will either feature a F2P model (MMO style) or a free demo.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
mad825 said:
They took a term from the zombie horror genre and make into a title, you guys smart. :| Thanks for fucking-up the filing cabinet.

This game stinks. Exclusives? Cheap, over done genre? Grittiness? Sounds like a cash cow milking game. What's next, multi-player? brown coffee filters? DLC?
Sp3ratus said:
It says that the games will either feature a F2P model (MMO style) or a free demo.
Ah, I was thinking of this picture on their Kickstarter page
but it seems like it's more "clever" PR spin than anyting else. Having a free demo and being "free-to-play" is not the same, at least not to my thinking.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sp3ratus said:
I was thinking more "sell consoles," but while we're at it, they say at least SOME of the content must be free.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
at the very least, having a demo/free portion of the game means that you can see what it's like before you have to make a decision

ofc you can probably pass on the shovelware before you even try it

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
So, Nintendo has "ZombiU" as one of it's new EIPs, and now Android is getting a EIP called "Human Element", both of which are Zombie Survival Horror Games. Why do I keep thinking that there will be Nintendo vs Android threads soon?

OT: I can't tell if this game will be fun at all or not. I will have to wait and see.