Minecraft Tops XBLA Sales for Third Straight Month

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Minecraft Tops XBLA Sales for Third Straight Month

Frequent updates and DLC have helped keep Minecraft downloads steady.

Minecraft has enjoyed great success in its move from PC to console, achieving a million sales [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117251-Minecraft-Mines-a-Million-on-Xbox-Live] just a few days after its Xbox Live Arcade release. The downloadable title has continued to dominate, and creator Markus "Notch" Persson announced that Minecraft has now surpassed three million XBLA sales.

Just as impressively, Minecraft has been the best-selling XBLA game since it was released in May, beating out titles like Trials Evolution, The Walking Dead, and Quantum Conundrum. It's currently second only to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in Xbox Live activity. The game has been continually supported by its developers, with last week's update 1.73 adding lots of new content to the game.

Since Microsoft's Summer of Arcade just kicked off this week, it will be interesting to see if Minecraft can beat the games in the annual promotion and come out on top again next month. If the game continues to be supported by frequent updates, free DLC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118462-Minecraft-Gets-Free-DLC-for-Xboxs-Summer-of-Arcade], and a bustling online community, it should have no problem carrying on its remarkable run.

Source: Major Nelson [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/20/minecraft-xbla-crafts-3-million-sales/]

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
It seems I underestimated the hugeness of the demographic of people that can't run Minecraft on their PC. That's a little.. sad I guess, from a technological point of view.

XBLA is one of best (and only) things Xbox has going for it, and I buy lots of indie games from there, but I still can't see the appeal of console Minecraft yet. Maybe when the maps are allowed to be bigger, and mods are introduced. Although i'll admit the split screen co-op would be appealing to a lot of people, but it's still not a seller for me.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
sethisjimmy said:
It seems I underestimated the hugeness of the demographic of people that can't run Minecraft on their PC. That's a little.. sad I guess, from a technological point of view.

XBLA is one of best (and only) things Xbox has going for it, and I buy lots of indie games from there, but I still can't see the appeal of console Minecraft yet. Maybe when the maps are allowed to be bigger, and mods are introduced. Although i'll admit the split screen co-op would be appealing to a lot of people, but it's still not a seller for me.
I agree with you on this. IMO the xbox version is just really not that good. Mainly because I'm an explorer; I enjoy walking around for hours and spelunking massive caves. The map limit really hinders this.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
My friend just bought the Xbox version (has no money for a decent PC), and says he spent 7 straight hours on it in his first sitting. I don't think I've spent that much time on my PC version, so they have to be doing something right.