Photographer Creates Stunning Video of International Space Station's Orbit

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Photographer Creates Stunning Video of International Space Station's Orbit

[vimeo=45878034 height=300 width=350]​

If you feel your day is lacking in shockingly beautiful space-wonder, look no further.

Occupied and operated by a multinational crew of astronauts for almost 12 years, the these images [http://www.nasa.gov/missions/index.html], photographer Knate Myers decided to create a stop-motion film from select night-time shots taken by the ISS and its crew. In short, it's spectacular. Hit that full-screen and take a few moments. Breathtaking, no?

Named "View From the ISS at Night," the video is composed entirely of slightly touched-up shots from the darkside wanderings of the ISS. Set to John Murphy's haunting and powerful Adagio in D Minor, the film gives as much in motion sickness as it does in wonder.

The journey around Earth is one that the ISS has made an astonishing number of times, with its odometer registering 1.5 billion statute miles when it celebrated its first decade of continuous human occupation back in November 2010. At that point, the vessel had made 57,361 orbits around our planet. For reference, NASA points out that the distance the ISS traveled in its first decade is roughly equivalent to eight full trips around the sun.

If you enjoyed this, you'll be glad to hear that "View From the ISS at Night" is by no means the only time-lapse space-film on the internet (though between you and me, it's probably one of the prettiest and most well-made). If you're interested in similar pieces, Vimeo's NASA Timelapse Club [http://vimeo.com/channels/NasaTLClub] might be a good place to start.

Source: Vimeo [http://vimeo.com/45878034]

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
You made a bit of an error here, Hevva, or this article was written after your jaunt into the future - as far as I know, November 2012 hasn't happened yet.

Nitpicking aside, very, very cool.

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
PrinceOfShapeir said:
You made a bit of an error here, Hevva, or this article was written after your jaunt into the future - as far as I know, November 2012 hasn't happened yet.

Nitpicking aside, very, very cool.
I can't believe I'm still doing this - I've lost count of the amount of times the Doctor's given me into trouble for it.

Also thanks! :)

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
I know this music, it's a self composed version of Surface of the Sun from the movie Sunshine.

I really like the part around 2:50 were the camera goes down side to upside.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
The pan across Europe that starts around 3:00 makes Coruscant look underlit.

Amazing stuff. Hurry up, Science, I want my personal space ship.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
That is absolutely gorgeous.

For all the shit that's happening so often this still is one beautiful planet in an amazing universe.

Captcha: heart strings

Well said Captcha, well said.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
Genuine Evil said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Genuine Evil said:
Absolutely amazing

This thread need more motivation videos about space
While i disagree with Neil deGrasse Tyson and I think that the US is wasting money by sending people instead of robots into space (especially with nasa?s tiny budget) I still find these videos very emotional
But why send robots if we're not going to go ourselves?
The sad truth is that nasa simply doesn?t have the budget to manufacture and send people into space.

if you look at their spending you see that more than half of the ?space operations? budget is spent on maintaining the international space station ( which sadly is a floating heap of junk) and that more than half of what?s left isn?t even spent on the space shuttle or exploration but on other Science projects nasa has here on earth that have nothing or very little to do with space research and exportation .
They simply don?t have the money . BUT sending robots to do the research instead of people is actually feasible , which is why many private projects have been doing exactly that .im afraid your options are robots or nothing at all

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/622986main_FY_13_summary_Budget_Briefing_Master_Files_final_2_14_12.pdf
WAIT NASA MANUFACTURES PEOPLE? THE CONSPIRACY BEGINS!

We need to leave LEO (Low-Earth Orbit) and get back to Deep space. 'nuff said.

Have no fear in my coming world dictatorship all of your taxes will go into space so that I have someone to fight against Gundam Style.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
That's beautiful.
It makes me think how small and insignificant our politics and other problems are. Even more so when I watch the Hubble Ultra-Deep Field image.
Sadly, I'll never see all that at first hand.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Wow. This played out more like some sort of grand operatic intro to a science fiction epic, rather than a series of real life stills!

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
The Space Core would be proud.

Kinda makes me wish I lived on a space station, though. What's the use of muscle mass and human contact if all I have to look at in the sky is the Moon and some little stars?

Arkimedes

Nov 6, 2011
Nice video,.. but there is another one which I like little bit more:
http://vimeo.com/32001208

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
A Satanic Panda said:
I know this music, it's a self composed version of Surface of the Sun from the movie Sunshine.

I really like the part around 2:50 were the camera goes down side to upside.
I love that movie, and the pictures that were shot I guess

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Thanks a lot, Hevva, love the large number of sciency videos and articles lately!
Absolutely stunning footage.