Total Recall Gets Mass Effect 3 Treatment

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Total Recall Gets Mass Effect 3 Treatment

Node Studios re-imagines Quaid as Commander Shepherd in this new trailer.

This is one for the science fiction fans. Total Recall - aka We Can Remember It For You Wholesale - was once a great movie of the 1990s, and is due to become a remake in August 2012. Mass Effect 3 was the culmination of five years worth of science fiction gaming storytelling, and the folks at Node Studios have brought those two things together in this action-filled mashup.

Node is a collection of YouTube personalities merged with Mario Versus Alien [http://collectivedigitalstudio.com/about/] and their LAN Party series. Total Recall - for those of you late to the party - featured Arnold Schwarzenegger as the blue-collar hero who gets his mind melted for vacation chuckles and starts remembering things which may or may not be real. Colin Farrell has that role in the 2012 remake.

For me, I'd almost forgotten than the Total Recall remake was due. Hope it's as fun as the mashup.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/22/total-recall-meets-mass-effect-in-this-trailer-mash-up/]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
That was pretty damn cool. As someone who is eagerly awaiting the release of the new version, I give this video three thumbs up.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
*reads title* So, it has a lore breaking and very unsatisfying ending?

*reads article* Oh. It's a video production thing a ma jig.

The Mass Effect ending still sucks! >:|

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Aaaand now I want to play the ME games again.

I've never seen Total Recall. I probably should at some stage.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
You know, for some reason I recall them saying that they wanted this movie to be more like the book, and not like the Arnold movie. Yet they used the same name as the Arnold movie and not the title of the book.

Still mildly interested in the movie...

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Karloff said:
For me, I'd almost forgotten than the Total Recall remake was due. Hope it's as fun as the mashup.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/22/total-recall-meets-mass-effect-in-this-trailer-mash-up/]

My anticipation for the reboot can be summed up by this simple formula.

xTotalRecall+(Mars=0)-(3(xboobs)+mutant) = 0 :(

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Hey, that was pretty good. And here I was just ready to scoff at the video.

Zhukov said:
I've never seen Total Recall. I probably should at some stage.
If you're going to watch the remake, I would suggest watching the original first. I guess that's a given though. It was a great movie for its time. Still is.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
You know, for some reason I recall them saying that they wanted this movie to be more like the book, and not like the Arnold movie. Yet they used the same name as the Arnold movie and not the title of the book.
Probably for marketing reasons. Few people have likely heard of the book, but everyone has heard of Total Recall. So they figured, "let the story gnomes do what they will, but let's make sure it's a title people are going to know".

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
UnderGlass said:
Karloff said:

Actually, if you watch the new trailer, the triple breasted lady does actually show up in the new version.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
UnderGlass said:
Karloff said:

Actually, if you watch the new trailer, the triple breasted lady does actually show up in the new version.
Huh. Not sure whether to laugh or cry that this is what they decide to keep, sans the awesome context of the original.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
Waaghpowa said:

Book you say.
This movie originated from a book ?
Who wrote it then ? I'll fire up my google but please reply so I can read if I can't find it. :p
Because I like where the 2012 remake is going but I like books more :p

Found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Remember_It_for_You_Wholesale

Seems to cover it pretty well

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
-Torchedini- said:
Waaghpowa said:

Book you say.
Who wrote it then ? I'll fire up my google but please reply so I can read if I can't find it. :p

Found this

Phillip K Dick. Notable works: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. I think it's worth looking into if you're into sci fi novels. Dick is quite a good writer.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Oh, I was so disappointed to see the remake trailer. Leave it alone! You can't improve on lines like:

"GIVE DEESE PEEPUL AAAIR!"

or this little gem:

It is a brilliant sci-fi film that looks astonishingly tacky, but is still very fun to watch. Plus it isn't some watered down, pg-13, CGI-laden aaffair like the remake.

Jun 16, 2010
UnderGlass said:

xTotalRecall+0 - (3xboobs + mutant) = 0
xTotalRecall = 3xboobs + mutant

Seems legit.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Ha ha ha! You think this is the real Commander Shepard?

The remake still needs more Michael Ironside, like a lot more, like just show two episodes of SeaQuest and call it Total Recall.

EDIT: Two weeks... Two Weeks... Twwwwo Weeeeeeks... TwwwooWwwwweeeeeksss!

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
-Torchedini- said:
Waaghpowa said:

Book you say.

Found this

Phillip K Dick. Notable works: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. I think it's worth looking into if you're into sci fi novels. Dick is quite a good writer.
I read it yesterday. Story itself is quite good. Phillip's ending not so much. I'll try to get my hands on the book that follows the movie script and read that too.

And thanks for your recommendation I get why an App on Android that monitors your sleep was called Electric sheep. I'll try to read that story this evening.
Thanks.