NCAA Football 13 Review

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
NCAA Football 13 Review

Better passing and Heisman players help move the ball.

Read Full Article

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I'm glad we have reviews of sports games. Most gamers dismiss the genre saying "It's the same game as last year". Reviews always tell you about every new addition or new tweaks.

feeqmatic

Jun 19, 2009
No offense escapist but this review is a bit on the uninformed side (aren't most reviews more than one page?). You can tell you guys arent much for sports gaming. Here is a supplement of the review supplement.

-The new passing feature is very much appreciated. However without a better physics engine it is still a bit wonky. With enough accuracy a QB can essentially change the entire trajectory of a pass. Its unrealistic because the WRs will turn on a dime to adjust to the pass. It will definitely become highly exploitable for those who play online(which i dont)

-The flip side is that the defense seems to be lagging behind a lot. Coverages seem a lot more broken now that they removed the mirroring effect that kept receivers at bay.

-Offensive and defensive Line play is pretty much untouched which still leads to hairpullingly frustrating moments where a blocker gets in the way trying to block a defender behind you or when they are headed right towards a defender then decide to block someone else, or when they cant seem to block anyone at all. Most traps and counters are worthless because of this and the aforementioned lack of physics/momentum.

- The worst part of the game is playing defense. Although i have found the lock cam fun and semi challenging, the AI still cannot run the option well, and they still call too many screens although they finally can get them off every once and a while.

- Speaking of the option, if you are a fan of GA tech's flexbone you will be probably more disapointed than usual. They killed the wingback toss and most toss plays so that they hardly work on anything above Varsity level. The cpu also seems to just cheat a lot more in that they crash run holes as soon as the ball is handed of, and they overload the run side of the play waaay to often. In fact FB dives will almost always be met by a closed in line. The blatant CPU cheating is infuriating.

-Dynasty mode is much improved. There are a few glitches with pitch ratings and coach carousel, but the new scouting feature and improved recruit ratings are excellent. My only gripe is that there must have been an outcry by some football fans to make the game more "diverse" so now for some reason half of the top running backs, receivers and corner-backs are white. Furthermore half of the kickers/punters are black. Im not a fan of racial stereotypes, but when the SEC has 5 white starting runningbacks and 12 starting white cornerbacks it doesnt look like real SEC football. Its a minor detail that is a part of a few glitches in the game.

-I usually dont play heisman mode, but i may give it a try. I have heard thought that it is broken on anything but Varsity level. The new time slow feature seems pretty cool if a bit gimmicky.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
To all people who will immediately diss EA for this.

EA is actually doing this because they are under contract. When it was first written, DLC was barely in the mind of some programmer, so of course one game a year would make sense.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I'm sorry. If EA fails to include all the teams, which it has done by omitting South Alabama, I fail to see the need to include it in my game library. Even if it has a special mode where you can beat Penn State over and over for their horrible crimes.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
So, when do does huge co-op mode exist where you have one player controlling one, er, player? Then all you need is some way to record the game without the game icons (flashing rings, etc) on screen, and BAM! instant replacement for real sports... cheaper and easier to pump out, with less injuries!

feeqmatic

Jun 19, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
feeqmatic said:
No offense escapist but this review is a bit on the uninformed side (aren't most reviews more than one page?). You can tell you guys arent much for sports gaming. Here is a supplement of the review supplement.

-The new passing feature is very much appreciated. However without a better physics engine it is still a bit wonky. With enough accuracy a QB can essentially change the entire trajectory of a pass. Its unrealistic because the WRs will turn on a dime to adjust to the pass. It will definitely become highly exploitable for those who play online(which i dont)

-The flip side is that the defense seems to be lagging behind a lot. Coverages seem a lot more broken now that they removed the mirroring effect that kept receivers at bay.

-Offensive and defensive Line play is pretty much untouched which still leads to hairpullingly frustrating moments where a blocker gets in the way trying to block a defender behind you or when they are headed right towards a defender then decide to block someone else, or when they cant seem to block anyone at all. Most traps and counters are worthless because of this and the aforementioned lack of physics/momentum.

- The worst part of the game is playing defense. Although i have found the lock cam fun and semi challenging, the AI still cannot run the option well, and they still call too many screens although they finally can get them off every once and a while.

- Speaking of the option, if you are a fan of GA tech's flexbone you will be probably more disapointed than usual. They killed the wingback toss and most toss plays so that they hardly work on anything above Varsity level. The cpu also seems to just cheat a lot more in that they crash run holes as soon as the ball is handed of, and they overload the run side of the play waaay to often. In fact FB dives will almost always be met by a closed in line. The blatant CPU cheating is infuriating.

-Dynasty mode is much improved. There are a few glitches with pitch ratings and coach carousel, but the new scouting feature and improved recruit ratings are excellent. My only gripe is that there must have been an outcry by some football fans to make the game more "diverse" so now for some reason half of the top running backs, receivers and corner-backs are white. Furthermore half of the kickers/punters are black. Im not a fan of racial stereotypes, but when the SEC has 5 white starting runningbacks and 12 starting white cornerbacks it doesnt look like real SEC football. Its a minor detail that is a part of a few glitches in the game.

-I usually dont play heisman mode, but i may give it a try. I have heard thought that it is broken on anything but Varsity level. The new time slow feature seems pretty cool if a bit gimmicky.
I really hope these don't carry over to Madden. The passing system being ridiculously easy on normal and below, and broken in favor of the CPU on All-Pro and higher was the reason I stopped playing. One tweak, and I either won 52-7, or lost 10-0.
Who knows. The physics engine doesnt look like it controlls anything but collisions so probably yes it will carry over. Thankfully the blocking in Madden has always been more realistic even though a massive overhaul is still needed but i guess thats a madden 2014 type of thing.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
NeoAC said:
I'm sorry. If EA fails to include all the teams, which it has done by omitting South Alabama, I fail to see the need to include it in my game library. Even if it has a special mode where you can beat Penn State over and over for their horrible crimes.

You're thinking of the American Football program. I shall assume that you are from Europe and was just a bit confused. Us stupid Americans get stuff like this wrong all the time.

Also, there is a possibility that South Alabama did not want to be in the game.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
NeoAC said:
Perhaps South Alabama isn't included because they're not a D1 program yet? They've transitioning to one, but this is their final transition year, and while they face a full conference schedule, they're not eligible for the Conference Championship Game or a Bowl Game

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Lionsfan said:
NeoAC said:
Perhaps South Alabama isn't included because they're not a D1 program yet? They've transitioning to one, but this is their final transition year, and while they face a full conference schedule, they're not eligible for the Conference Championship Game or a Bowl Game
South Alabama has been a D1 school since the 80s, although their football program was established in 2007. Now I'm getting conflicting readings that they are joining the Sun Belt this year, but not competing, or that they are joining next year. In any case, I've learned that I will be waiting until at least 2015, when the Charlotte 49ers are officially in play in C-USA.