New Dishonored Trailer Makes a Daring Escape (or Three)

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
New Dishonored Trailer Makes a Daring Escape (or Three)

Plan (or improvise) your dramatic exit through the streets of Dunwall.

One of the best perks of being a supernatural assassin is that you're never at a loss for options. At least, that's what the latest trailer for Arkane Studios' Dishonored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/6090-Dishonored-Daring-Escapes-Trailer] would have you believe. Sneaking up on a target in a shady alleyway is easy enough, but the getaway is where the fun starts. When there's nowhere to hide and the guards are almost upon you, how do you escape with most of your blood still inside your body?

The trailer shows off three different playstyles, each of them starting with the freshly murdered target and ending with Corvo slipping away into a nearby river. In the first method, "The Long Jump", the player makes full use of Corvo's acrobatic abilities, relying heavily on the Blink power and some nimble climbing. "Sleep Tight" takes a slightly more confrontational approach, bringing more of Corvo's arsenal into the fight as he tranquilizes the attacking guards with a few well-placed darts. Finally, "Chain Possession" abuses the Possession power to jump between the bodies of hapless guards (including one of the intimidating walker-mounted Tall Boys) before diving into the river undetected.

Between this video and the gameplay walkthroughs from E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118174-Dishonoreds-Ending-Shifts-With-Your-Play-Style], it certainly looks like Dishonored is serious about making sure the player always has interesting choices to make. You'll be able to choose your strategy for yourself when the game hits shelves on October 9, but in the meantime, keep an eye out for new videos - the trailer hints that a "Creative Kills" video is coming soon.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Well, if there's one thing you can say about the trailers for the game so far, they're fairly upfront about the whole idea of the game: You're a murdering sociopath in the same vein as Hitman.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Well, if there's one thing you can say about the trailers for the game so far, they're fairly upfront about the whole idea of the game: You're a murdering sociopath in the same vein as Hitman.
I thought it was said that the game has a potential "pacifist" (in a non violence sense, not DO NO HARM sense) path, allowing you to not kill a single person.

Even your Targets can be dealt with in a non-lethal way.

I'm pretty sure that's the case at least.

Anyway, good stuff. Dishonoured has been on my Radar for nearly a year now based on the talent behind the project alone, these trailers are definitely living up to what I initially expected.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, it's possible to not kill anyone in the whole game. It's also possible to truly ghost it, without being seen by anyone (except, I'd assume, whatever friendly NPCs you need to interact with).

This is the best footage I've seen of the game so far. Looks excellent.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
For some reason the trailers have me thinking this could flop like rage and brink did. Probably not I'm optimistic. Anyone else get that suspicion?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
The Gentleman said:
I thought it was said that the game has a potential "pacifist" (in a non violence sense, not DO NO HARM sense) path, allowing you to not kill a single person.

Like Fallout and Skyrim, yes, there is that option, but 95% of all playthroughs are going to involve a very high body count.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
ResonanceGames said:
Yeah, it's possible to not kill anyone in the whole game. It's also possible to truly ghost it, without being seen by anyone (except, I'd assume, whatever friendly NPCs you need to interact with).

This is the best footage I've seen of the game so far. Looks excellent.
I agree. The other trailers (demos?) had that slow lumbering feel so very typical of early footage. This is the first piece of footage that really gives this game some energy.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The Gentleman said:
Ragsnstitches said:
The Gentleman said:

Like Fallout and Skyrim, yes, there is that option, but 95% of all playthroughs are going to involve a very high body count.
No.
It's more like Deus Ex: HR minus the boss battles kills (which were unavoidable in DE:HR).

Also, the developer said that they are going to have different endings depending on how you went trough the game.

I really can't think of any other way that actually does this.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
The Gentleman said:
Ragsnstitches said:
The Gentleman said:

Those games weren't specifically designed to allow that, it just happened to be possible. Dishonored went to great lengths to accommodate that style of play for the people who want it.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
ResonanceGames said:
The Gentleman said:
Ragsnstitches said:
The Gentleman said:

Those games weren't specifically designed to allow that, it just happened to be possible. Dishonored went to great lengths to accommodate that style of play for the people who want it.
And they stated exactly that for Fallout 3 (less so for Skyrim). When it comes to a pacifist playstyle being viable, I go for the "put up or shut up" option and wait until the game comes out and I have my hands on it to see if it's really true.

Regardless, even if it is possible, that will not be the primary style most will play.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
This looks excellent. I have been looking forward to this game for a long time and this is a day one, if not pre-order, for me. I just hope that the annoying little voice in my head warning me of disappointment is wrong.