Meet the New Dead Space 3 Screens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Meet the New Dead Space 3 Screens

These new Dead Space screens look an awful lot like the old Dead Space screens.

The Dead Space formula is pretty well established by now, so I suppose there's not much point in griping that these Dead Space 3 screens bear a remarkable resemblance to shots from the previous games: Heavily-armed dude in the goalie mask of the future stalks through gritty, ruined sci-fi environments and is occasionally leapt upon by underfed space zombies. And that's pretty much what we have here as Isaac Clarke, once again looking more like a Systems Alliance operative than a ship systems engineer, strikes some poses and squares off against a bunch of gnawing uglies.

[gallery=841]

They look good, in the sense that they're sharp, detailed and promise heaps of plasma-cut violence, but they're also somewhat distressingly "same-y." The enemies in five of the shots are just skeletons with their skin still attached, and the other two aren't especially pleasant but remain close enough to human that they're not overly disturbing either. Nine screenshots does not a game make, but neither do they convince me that Dead Space 3 is going to do anything more than just "more."

Dead Space 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-3-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SWVIQ/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343322925&sr=8-1&keywords=Dead+Space+3] is currently slated to come out in February 2013 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
FargoDog said:
The monster designs look nowhere near as gooey and wonderfully gross as they did in the first two games. They're actually very bland - to me anyway.

Hopes... Fading... Ever faster...
Well, most of the enemies in those screenshots are the ones that result from living humans eating Necromorph flesh, usually out of desperation.

And I think that the dryness of the enemy models could be explained by the planet being a freezing cold wasteland.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh god Walker's (That's his name, right?) helmet looks fucking retarded.
Still, keeps up the same aesthetic from the other two games but from what has been said, I'm still not hopeful.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
in 9 has isaac taken his helmet off? looks like you can see an ear.

OT: meh, i enjoyed most of dead space 2, but not enough for me to buy this. might rent it at some point in the future though just to see what its about, although if they make the co-op online only i doubt i'll bother

Dec 14, 2009
FargoDog said:
The monster designs look nowhere near as gooey and wonderfully gross as they did in the first two games. They're actually very bland - to me anyway.

I was just thinking that...

Did they tone down the necromorphs because EA thought the game was 'too scary'?

I bloody well hope not.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Seems every time i hear about this game the less of a chance that ill get it at all...

Compatriot Block said:
Well, most of the enemies in those screenshots are the ones that result from living humans eating Necromorph flesh, usually out of desperation.
Where did you get that piece of info from?

Im actually curious.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
YOu know, while Dead SPace fails as a horror franchise, it does make a good third person shooter.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
FargoDog said:
That's what I was thinking. From relatively unique monsters to cookie-cutter zombies. That coupled with the fact that I'm just seeing guns in his hands... Yeah it ain't looking good.

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
I don't know I think these creatures look more scary than anything in the previous games. Not that that is saying much though.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Christ that monster design is woefully generic. The Necoromorphs are supposed to be horrid abominations of flesh and bone!!

That goddamn thing looks like an emaciated zombie!!

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
So. First picture, the necromorph claw is clipping through his gun.Good way to build up confidence - show a graphical error in the screen shot.

Smooth one, EA. Smooth.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Not sure if news story... or editorial piece.

I know there isn't much to say when it comes to a few new screenshots but I don't think inserting your personal opinion abort the doom of Dead Space 3 is the way to go. Especially when it takes up over half the story.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Well. Dead Space officially has Ray Harryhausen skeletons. This is no longer scary, it is laughable. :\

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Remember when it was hard to see shit in Dead Space 1 and even Dead Space 2?

Yeah, well EA decided to shine bright lights on the Necromorphs now that don't look anything like before.

It's important to: "Broaden the Audience"

Dec 14, 2009
Rocklobster99 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
FargoDog said:

I bloody well hope not.
Funny you should mention that. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118616-EA-Dead-Space-Too-Scary-to-Handle-Alone]

It's like they're generating negative hype, every new thing I learn about this game makes me want it less and less.
That's what I was referencing :D

I hope the necromorphs aren't a victim of EA's stupidity.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Rocklobster99 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
FargoDog said:

I bloody well hope not.
Funny you should mention that. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118616-EA-Dead-Space-Too-Scary-to-Handle-Alone]

It's like they're generating negative hype, every new thing I learn about this game makes me want it less and less.
I now have a legitimate reason to commit suicide.

If you'll excuse me I have to have a mental breakdown as to how EA could just kill a franchise this way. Its like they want to end it but they want us to see them torture it, unable to stop them until they put the finishing blow at it, this game.....

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
What nice, well lit areas those are. Oh and simple skeleton enemies, I feel so comforted.

Mass Effect Husks are scarier than these things.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
That looks like the back of the Elite Advanced Suit from Dead Space 2. I'm very happy with this; I loved that damn suit.