Apple TV Could Become Gaming Console

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Apple TV Could Become Gaming Console

A recently filed patent reveals Apple's plans for a new controller that looks suspiciously familiar.

With an ever-growing number of games becoming available on iOS devices, it's safe to say that Apple is no stranger to gaming. The company may be looking to take its relationship with the gaming industry to the next level, as it has filed a patent for "a schematic of a video game controller for the standalone media player of [an Apple TV] or a video game system."

As you can tell, Apple's controller looks remarkably like Sony's Dualshock, and it's designed to work with Apple TV. The patent shows the ability to connect to the iPhone and iPod Touch, and presumably iPads and other Apple devices would be compatible as well. This means that if the controller becomes a reality, gamers could play iOS games on their televisions and ditch the touch-screen controls, essentially making Apple TV an iOS gaming console.

The patent, which was filed in March and published today, does not guarantee that this product will ever exist on the market (and if it does, it probably won't look exactly like a PS3 controller). It would be a pretty seamless way for Apple to take a bigger step into the gaming industry by taking an already-existing product and expanding its functionality. For now, however, it seems like the company is content to make oodles of money off its computers and digital devices.

Source & Image: Game Revolution [http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/apple-patents-dualshock-style-game-controller-14241]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The next generation is going to be the biggest clusterfuck since the "64-bit" era. It's looking to be a whole lot more interesting than watching the big three smack each other around for another decade.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I thought that the current generations controllers were expensive. Just wait till Apple starts selling them.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Fappy said:
The next generation is going to be the biggest clusterfuck since the "64-bit" era. It's looking to be a whole lot more interesting than watching the big three smack each other around for another decade.
It would be nice if they were all reduced to software only and Sega rose from the ashes in a glorious partnership with google or something....

Anyway, cool, but I don't care, since I have a phobia of all things Apple. Also; if it looks that much like a dualshock if it ever does manifest there will be some HUGE law suits flying around. I look forward to it.

And, because when apple consoles are mentioned this is obligatory:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Pippin-Atmark-Console-Set.png

BEHOLD!

They lost to the Jaguar.
Wonder if they've licked those enormous wounds yet...

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
"Only today get apple TV 3 only $300 and comes with video games"

Two days later...

"Only today super cutting edge Apple TV 4 only 400$ and comes with video games"

Pretty much the same thing that happens with iphones will happen to this.

Captcha: panic button

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
I find it interesting how when new consoles/controllers come to market, the controllers nearly always copy the 360, right down to the face-button colours, but yet no-one even notices.

However, when a new controller looks like a PS one instead of a 360 one, everyone is suddenly all up with "Look what THIS looks like, wink wink, lawsuit".

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
So that's what, five consoles now? Xbox, WiiU, Playstation, Ouya (The Android console) and now this?

Jesus H. Christ, this is going to be a mess. What next, 3DO and a new Sega console?

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Competition is good, but too much market fragmentation is bad. We'll see nothing but poorly optimized ports if too many consoles come out.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
flarty said:
do people really want to play angry birds on a big tv?
Apparently as popular as Ouya is.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118678-Ouya-No-Bigger-Than-a-Rubiks-Cube

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Oh boy. Apple heard of the Ouya and is fearing for its hold on the market.

Next they'll sue Ouya for making a console that's 'too similar' to their own shitty version.

The icing on the cake is that they're using the terrible, horrible Playstation controller design, when everyone knows that the Gamecube/360-type designs are far-superior, and is what the Ouya will be using.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
How was apple even able to patent that?! It's not even just similar to a Playstation Controller, it is a Playstation Controller.

I am now waiting for import bans on Playstation Controllers because they "rip off" apple's design...

xxBucdieselxx

May 3, 2011
Wow that is innovative apple, take Sonys controller and move the buttons every so slightly. I see royalties in Sonys future, or a complete remodel in Apples.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
chadachada123 said:
The icing on the cake is that they're using the terrible, horrible Playstation controller design, when everyone knows that the Gamecube/360-type designs are far-superior, and is what the Ouya will be using.
What's wrong with a Playstation-type Controller?

OT: Apple is Evil and just what Satan would've wanted, I just summed up every post that will ever be on this thread everyone can go home now.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
I thought that the current generations controllers were expensive. Just wait till Apple starts selling them.
They will cost 300 dollars and only have 2 buttons. People will still complain about them being too complicated.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
That is so true; just imagine all the complaints when they break down after a year or so right when apple comes out with a 'new' version.

More OT: I can't help but think this will end up as some sort of dark alternative to steam where you can only play the games apple wants you to in the way they tell you. Still, happy to finally see something with buttons; that's been driving some of my gaming friends insane with the ipad.