Google Unveils Internet Service 100 Times Faster Than Broadband

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Google Unveils Internet Service 100 Times Faster Than Broadband

Google wants to get into the business of providing a better, faster internet, not just searching it.

We all want the internet to be faster. Waiting for a video to load before you can watch it just sucks. Broadband services like DSL or cable were a big step up from dialup, but Google thinks it's ridiculous the technology hasn't had a significant update in 16 years. Google unveiled a new service called Google Fiber which promises internet speeds up to 1 gig per second. The pilot program for Google Fiber is in Kansas City, Missouri, and customers will be able to pay $70 a month for internet, or $120 for internet plus TV channels and DVR capability. The TV service includes a Nexus 7 tablet computer which will act as your remote control.

"The next phase of the Internet, the next chapter of the Internet is written here today," said Patrick Pichette, the CFO of Google, at a rally in Kansas City announcing the plan for Google Fiber. "We believe the Internet should give these high speeds to everyone in the U.S."

Google offered several examples to show just how fast the service will be. One gigabit per second means you can download a full length HD movie in a matter of minutes. Milo Medin, Google executive in charge of this stuff, explained that if two cars left Kansas City for New York at the same time, the one traveling 100 times faster would reach New York before the other car even left Missouri.

Now before you Kansas Citians [Kansasites?] start throwing your cash at Google for the ultra-fast 'nets, there's a catch: not everyone will be able to get this service right away. Google split the city into "fiberhoods" and a critical mass of your neighbors (40-80 homes) will have to pay a $10 deposit for Google to string the fiber optic cable to your location. The 'hoods with the most deposits in the next six weeks will get access to the service first, and Google hopes neighbors will band together to convince each other to pay.

Google chose Kansas City from a list of 1,100 cities because of the enthusiasm the people living there showed for faster internet and the internet company certainly seems willing to use that ebullience to push its agenda forward. Just look at that video embedded above. Whether the super-fast internet service becomes profitable enough in Kansas City to warrant installation in other cities, Google hopes Google Fiber will put pressure on Washington and other ISPs to consider upgrading our infrastructure.

Note to Google: Durham, NC could use some fiber love.

Source: NY Times [http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/26/google-unveils-superfast-internet-in-kansas-city-mo/]

Apr 28, 2008
Hey, your internet is good enough. I'm barely pushing 80 kb/s here, give me google internet!

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
At the point you can download a movie in a few seconds I don't think the internet needs to go any faster.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Irridium said:
Hey, your internet is good enough. I'm barely pushing 80 kb/s here, give me google internet!
You must live out in the boonies. I live in the country and I have a 6mb/s dsl connection.

Everyone could use faster internet!

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I hear people cry out that 700 kb/s download speed is slow, so imagine how I feel with 200kb/s! How about you throw it over here? I'm sure you can get your deposit easily, kids would give their pocket money for this around here to make sure they can watching their dramatic chipmunks and sneezing pandas. Come on! We're probably worse off than those in Kansas City, so why don't we...
Irridium said:
I'm barely pushing 80 kb/s here,
My hat goes over my heart for you, you brave individual. Give this man some fiber.

Calumon: ...Ewwwwww

Parivir

Jul 20, 2009
This had better damn well be unlimited downloads, because I get 10 GB a month at my house and if this was to come to England I could use my whole limit in ten seconds.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that with this speed I reckon that the 'Cloud' is at last a possibility.

EDIT PART TWO: whoops Gigabit not byte okay make that 1 min 20 secs.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Wow, news pertaining to my home town and current location!

Nobody ever talks about Kansas City! That's a pleasant surprise.

Being that I'm just a lowly, poor, college student home for the summer vacation, I unfortunately do not have the means to acquiring that sexy download speed of 1 gig/sec. However, if I did, I would probably download all I could, because I could.

What I would give for that kind of internet at my house...

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
1 gig/s is quite fast. But saying fiber is new is kinda false information. Fiber has been around for ages now. I remember when Verizon laid fiber in front of my house in like 2002, which was 3 years before they even launched fios. Also, a 1 Gb/s connection will probably net you about 150 Mb/s downloads max. At that point, it depends on how fast the uploader is. If they're not on google fiber then you will still only get 5 Mb/s or whatever their speed is.

That being said, this is pretty cool

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Matthew94 said:

Sweet jesus, I must experience this.

I'm practically frothing at the mouth.
I know right.

It's especially provoking considering where I live we can't get current fibre optic services because the UK has crap infrastructure and it's distributed very poorly.

The cables for it go through my town to the capital of our county.

But we can't has.

Fuckin' Virgin...

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Google bring this to Canada please. You can leave the states till later.

Eric the Orange said:
At the point you can download a movie in a few seconds I don't think the internet needs to go any faster.
Are you kidding? Then we make movies with more resolution. Ones where I can see every pore in the character's face.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Eh.

I see a big number like 1 gig and i'm left wondering what the real speed is.

Of course, this is a problem with any ISP, not Google in particular.

It is an interesting idea though. I'm already paying $70 for 10 MB DSL because shitty Comcast managed to worm their way in here so cable is off limits now.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It's worth noting that this is one gigabit per second. Vague terms like "gig" tend to make us think of gigabytes. This is only 1/8 of that, at ~128 Megabytes per second.

Mind you, that's still blazing fast. I have 100Mbit service and I'm damn jealous of these Kansas City folk.

P.S. Thanks

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
Google bring this to Canada please. You can leave the states till later.

Eric the Orange said:
Are you kidding? Then we make movies with more resolution. Ones where I can see every pore in the character's face.
And then we crank their framerate up to eleven 110 fps!

Edit: Although I wouldn't be too comfortable with google as my ISP... Just gives me a bad feeling in my stomach

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
I'm disturbed that the article never even entertains the idea of it being anything other than an upgrade for the US.

I know Google can't fix every country, but the "America = Internet" vibe is lurking in the air here.

On that note, of every company in the world, Google is actually probably the company most able to fix every country in terms of infrastructure. So come on Google, BRING IT.

Of all the companies most likely to own the world in a dystopian future, I'll probably prefer Google the most, behind Valve.