Over Half of U.S. Adults Play Videogames

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Over Half of U.S. Adults Play Videogames

Gaming isn't just for kids anymore. A new research study confirms a large number of American adults like to get their recreational kicks through videogames.

A Pew Internet & American Life Project [http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/video-games-played-by-53-of-adult-americans-ndash-pew-study/?biz=1] shows 53 percent of all American adults play videogames in some form or another. Surprisingly, about a third of adults age 65 and up that do play videogames say they play them every single day.

The gaming device of choice ranges widely between computers, consoles, mobile phones, and other gizmos, but research shows there is a divide among age groups. PCs are the favorite of choice for 73 percent of adult gamers, while 75 percent of younger adult players (ages 18-29) tend to gravitate towards consoles. The study shows younger adults are more likely to play games and generally tend to spend more time doing so. Still, mid-lifers and senior citizens are finding the time to plop down and power on on a regular basis.

Nintendo's push in recent years to attract much older players into the gaming fold with brain training, exercise, and other casual games seems to be working, but those of us who recall the then-amazing technological prowess of the Atari 2600 with great fondness are now well along the path that eventually leads to wrinkles and crankiness. The videogame industry has grown in leaps and bounds since the late 70s and early 80s, due in-part to technological advances and an aging gamer population that still enjoys picking up a controller well past the adolescent and college years.

Though I still (hopefully) have much, much longer to go, it's a safe bet I'll be rocking the videogames when I'm old, waving a cane around, and cursing out the idiocy of kids these days.

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/azadam/335885894/])

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I'm not surprised. At our local Wal-mart (come on, if we had a Mom-and-Pop game store I'd shop there) I see adults shopping for games all the time. I used to ask if they needed help picking a gift, but it's usually for themselves these days.

Before Spore came out, we passed it in the store. I was telling my friends how much it was going to suck when a skinny old employee of 50-60 years started calling me out. The guy new every detail about Spore and was an emphatic supporter.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I'm not exactly surprised. Gaming is getting more accepted in today's mainstream market. It's not longer a hobby found on the fringes of society, but something that even the elderly now enjoy. I say give it another generation or 2, and it might become as wide-spread as the other forms of media: cinema, music and literature.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
When I'm and old person, I'm going to be killing hookers in GTAXXI with mind technology, not waggling along to some lame bowling game. :)

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
And yet still with this fact based evidence,stupid parents will still say video gaming is only for children and will turn them all EVIL!!!. Anyway, I am so going to be a gaming grandpa! My grandson gonna be like "hey can we go to the zoo?" And I'll be like "Not now I'm driving over cops...OH SHIT theyre chasing after me,gotta go!"...good times,good times.

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
Thank God. Maybe now idiotic politicians will ACTUALLY play the games before they ***** about them.

Ahh....what a pipe-dream.