Borderlands 2 Escapes Censorship Worldwide

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
Borderlands 2 Escapes Censorship Worldwide

Gearbox's new shooter will be filled with "bloody chunks of awesomeness" no matter where you are.

Certain countries, most notably Germany and Australia, have a history of censoring violence in videogames. Regulations such as the German Jugendschutzgesetz (Protection of Young Persons Act) have so far required games released in these countries to either tone down the level of gore or remove it entirely before allowing them classification. Now, Gearbox's upcoming cel-shaded shooter Borderlands 2 looks set to subvert this.

Speaking on the company's official blog, Gearbox community manager Chris Taylor announced that Borderlands 2 has managed to avoid censorship in all territories around the world. No matter where in the world players buy the game, he says, "bandits will be just as likely to explode into bloody chunks of awesomeness as they will be in Canada or England (which is to say: very likely.)"

Of course, the increased violence won't be everyone's cup of tea. Gearbox has allowed for this by including a new "Gore Toggle" setting for players uncomfortable with the amount of blood on display. "With a single button press," Taylor says, "you can turn Borderlands [into] a less violent experience!"

While Australia didn't receive a censored version of the original Borderlands (at least, not intentionally [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95736-Borderlands-Accidentally-Censored-in-Australia]), the announcement of a completely uncensored game containing such a large amount of violence in Germany is rather surprising. It remains to be seen whether this move signals a relaxation of Germany's strict controls on violent media, or if it simply means that Borderlands 2 will in fact be a less gory game than the original.

Borderlands 2 will be available on September 18 in North America, and September 21 everywhere else.

Source: MCV [http://www.gearboxity.com/content/view/913/33/]

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
I'm actually fairly surprised bot Germany and Australia didn't fight back. Usually it's almost always the case of big AAA games full of violence that get denied by one or both countries.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
"Bloody chunks of awesomeness" may be the most childish attitude possible. I'm almost put off buying the game now. People with that attitude--"Fwa, check out this big gun and all this blood! FUCK YEAH"--piss me off.

Fuck it. I'm not going to pre-order it anymore.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
I think that the reason they escaped censorship in Germany might be that they have the option to turn the blood and gore off.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Xaryn Mar said:
I think that the reason they escaped censorship in Germany might be that they have the option to turn the blood and gore off.
Nothing wrong with giving people the option, personally I like the gore, but I can understand why someone might prefer it toned down.

Subatomic

Sep 1, 2011
It is factually incorrect to say the Jugendschutzgesetz 'requires' games to tone down the violence (there's no such regulation in that law). Most of the so called low violence version released in Germany are attempts by the developers/publishers themselves to avoid the more prohibitve ratings or an 'Indizierung', and not somehow government-mandated.

Case in point: The rating for the original Borderlands was USK18 for both the English/Multilingual version and the low violence German version, so there actually was no need for the 'censored' version at all. They just jumped the gun and underestimated with how much violence they could get away with, and now that they know better, there's no need to do additional work for a censored version. But hey, nice PR for them I guess.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
as long as Australia and Germany try to censor the world's games, i don't feel the least bit bad about their citizens having to pay extra for said games. consider it a censorship tax. get your government to stop, then we'll talk about equivalent pricing.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Lev The Red said:
as long as Australia and Germany try to censor the world's games, i don't feel the least bit bad about their citizens having to pay extra for said games. consider it a censorship tax. get your government to stop, then we'll talk about equivalent pricing.
Where do you live?

*checks profile*

Russia? Australians make more money per year than Russians, on average. Thus, our products cost more. Countries with little money: cheap things. Rich countries: expensive things. Economic, yo.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
Clearing the Eye said:
"Bloody chunks of awesomeness" may be the most childish attitude possible. I'm almost put off buying the game now. People with that attitude--"Fwa, check out this big gun and all this blood! FUCK YEAH"--piss me off.

You didn't play the first game, did you? Because the original Borderlands was just that. Yeah, it had other humour going for it too but the mainstay was all the over the top sexual and violent humour.

OT: I'd say a combination of the option to turn that stuff off with the more relaxed approach that Australia has been taking on censorship is probably why this passed. As for Germany? Not sure. They seem to be very "by the book" which I assume is why a lot of games never make it into Germany un-cut of certain graphic content - they don't care what the specifics of the law states, just that it exists and they make hyperbole out of it. Anyway, good for Gearbox! =)

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
Lev The Red said:
Where do you live?

*checks profile*

Russia? Australians make more money per year than Russians, on average. Thus, our products cost more. Countries with little money: cheap things. Rich countries: expensive things. Economic, yo.
i was living in Volgagrad when i made this profile. i'm back in the US now.

the extra australians pay is due to the fact that their dollar used to be worth less than it does now. at the moment it is worth a similar amount to the US dollar, so they are being over-charged. it has nothing to do with the average income in that country. i paid a similar price for games when i was in Russia, except it was in rubles.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Lev The Red said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Lev The Red said:
Where do you live?

*checks profile*

the extra australians pay is due to the fact that their dollar used to be worth less than it does now. at the moment it is worth a similar amount to the US dollar, so they are being over-charged.
Actually, Australians earn more money than Americans on average, especially since the U.S. economy has gone to utter shit.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Yay equality of countrys!!!
For the first time Australia has done something nice for me.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i don't know about you, but i will continue to enjoy playing "whose body part was this?" when picking over the loot

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
Lev The Red said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Lev The Red said:
Where do you live?

*checks profile*

the extra australians pay is due to the fact that their dollar used to be worth less than it does now. at the moment it is worth a similar amount to the US dollar, so they are being over-charged.
Actually, Australians earn more money than Americans on average, especially since the U.S. economy has gone to utter shit.
Source on that? Everything I see says otherwise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html?countryName=Australia&countryCode=as&regionCode=aus&rank=22#as

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Blargh McBlargh said:
Clearing the Eye said:

Tempted to call "troll", but knowing people on the internet these days...

-sigh-
Yes, how DARE he not enjoy wanton, pointless violence? A troll, obviously!