UK Researcher Wants Parents Arrested for Buying Kids Violent Games

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
UK Researcher Wants Parents Arrested for Buying Kids Violent Games

Dr. Nick Robinson believes penalizing retailers for PEGI violations is just not enough.

A political researcher has criticised the UK government's adoption of the PEGI rating system. He says that the system will fail unless the government takes action on poor parenting practices, which includes prosecuting parents who purchase violent games for children.

Dr. Nick Robinson, a researcher from the School of Politics and International Studies at the University of Leeds, criticises the new ratings legislation of being a "smokescreen" to cover up the government's lack of accountability in limiting children's exposure to violent media. He says that the "politically expedient" PEGI system will not address the real problem of preventing young gamers from playing mature titles.

Currently, the PEGI system penalizes retailers for selling games to children who do not meet the ratings guidelines, but Robinson wants the government to take further action. "The issue of video games may seem rather trivial at first, but it has many implications for politicians," he says. "To really begin to sort this issue, the state would have to be prepared to prosecute parents who purchase and allow their children to play inappropriate games."

Robinson bases his comments on research into programmes in the US designed to educate parents and children on the ratings system. "Despite a concerted effort to educate parents and children...which has led to high levels of understanding, a significant minority of parents still purchase inappropriate material for their children," he explained. "Why should the system in the UK be any different?"

He also points the finger at game developers for shying away from the responsibility of keeping kids from playing their products. He states that game makers are "absolved from the burden of responsibility" and instead defer to the state and regulator. He concludes that, as a result, more violent games are released into the market since companies are protected by the ratings framework.

Source: Game Politics [http://www.healthcanal.com/public-health-safety/31208-New-video-games-regulation-smokescreen.html]

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
So to prevent children from being potentially damaged (possible, but not certain or likely) by violent video games, they're going to jail parents? I think he might need to have a glance at all the research of how having a parent in jail may damage the development of a child and work out if it really is worth it.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
We should arrest them for letting children watch R rated movies on television and letting them stay up past midnight to. That'll teach those terrible parents. /sarcasm

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Sigh... can I move to a new planet where people stay the hell out of other peoples business? I really hate the "I know better than you do" attitude in spite of any conclusive evidence one way or another.

This guy probably want to keep kids out of pubs to, but if that happens little Harry can't have a snifter of brandy and a coke with his parents and there goes all family values.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Part of me kind of agrees with this.

You have idiot parents out there who buy their kids Grand Theft Auto and then are shocked when they discover what type of content is actually in the game, so then they try to crusade that games should be banned and regulated because they did a piss poor job, but hell will freeze over before they'll ever admit any fault on their part.

Seeing such people put in jail would be immensely satisfying.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011

The shit is this fuck? He compares it to stuff in the US, last time I checked the US government doesn't arrest you for buying a video game.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Riobux said:
So to prevent children from being potentially damaged (possible, but not certain or likely) by violent video games, they're going to jail parents? I think he might need to have a glance at all the research of how having a parent in jail may damage the development of a child and work out if it really is worth it.
Jail is extreme...how about a fine instead Not too absurd not too little
Also I don't like his comment about how it's game developer responsibility it's more of a parent's responsibility but then again I don't like his attitude towards this I'm more attracted to the idea of parents this stupid to pay the price of stupidity

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Nicolaus99 said:
Please tell me no one on that side of the pond takes this lunatic seriously.
If I know the parental views of most people in this country the answer will be a resounding "Fuck no." People in the UK don't take well to the government trying to interfere, and will in fact do anything to absolve them self of the blame. Usually a bad thing to be honest, i.e school systems, in this case, probably a good thing.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Riobux said:
Ladies and gentlemen, the thread has already been won. Pack it in, we're done here.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Well... most kids with media above their age get said media because their parents just don't give a crap about the age rating. How many times have you heard people talk about how they saw a parent getting a copy of the latest realistic gunwank shooter for their 5-year-old without even looking at the box? It is a problem that needs to be adressed, though this is far too heavy.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Why not let parents decide what their children view and make those parents absolutely responsible for that (as in no suing someone because you bought a violent game for your kid), I know there are some crap parents out there who buy violent games for their kids whilst also crying about how terrible violent games are for their kids but sending them to jail or fining them is just as ridiculous as the current system.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Can someone fire this guy for being incompetent? Yeah, prosecuting parents for doing things that aren't proven harmful but which a minority thinks is bad is a great precedent to set. Nothing bad could possibly come from that.

And the industry not taking responsibility? Did I just imagine the ESRB and companies like Gamestop taking a hard line on not selling M rated games to minors despite there being no legal requirement for them to do that in the US?

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009

Yes, jailing parents is totally the correct response for legally buying a product with their own money. Why don't you just go to their house and shoot them in the head while little Timmy watches? That'll teach the little kids not to play violent video games! I can see the ads now! "Every time you play a violent video game, your parents DIE!"
It's up to parents to make sure their children are playing appropriate games. If they do a shit job, it's not the governments fault, and the government should not be intervening.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I agree with what this guy means, that parents buying Call of Duty and Manhunt for their kids, are bad parents that should be punished. But on the other hand, I see what this guy is insinuating. He is the kind of guy that says violent video games fuck up kids; that someone who plays Call of Duty, is more likely to shoot up a school, than someone who plays Tetris or Pokemon. And that ladies and gentlemen, is a topic that we all know all too fucking well.

I'm all for keeping 12 year olds off of Halo and Call of Duty, but this is not the way.
The fundamental flaw in this guy's "logic" is his use of "inappropriate".
Who is he to say what games are inappropriate for a person's kids? Who is he to say that Call of Duty and other violent video games, are inappropriate? I think it is up to the parents to decide what games are appropriate for their kids, and what games are not.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
While this man has his head on straight, jailing parents for buying adult games for thier children is a bit extreme.

After all, a fine and confiscation of the game in question works too right?